Fresh Bike Commute

Even though I bike to the same office at the same time day after day, my commute rarely feels stale.  Either the city throws something new my way or I take it upon myself to try something new.  Today my bike commute was a mix of both.  I enjoyed fresh air, fresh bike lanes, fresh cupcakes and a fresh route.

The cool breeze made it comfortable to bike in my work clothes for a change.  It was nice to go straight to my office without stopping by the bathroom to change.

Along the way, I noticed that the bike lanes along a large section of my route were freshened up with new paint and decals.  They are much more noticeable now.  Turns out, the Alderman re-striped all the bike lanes in his ward by making the project a budget priority.  Nice!

On my way home, the siren song of  Sweet Mandy B’s lured me.  I just had to stop to get a cupcake.  Or two.  They did not last long.

After my massive sugar consumption, I continued my ride on super quiet side streets.  I’ve been experimenting with a complicated route of small streets the entire way to and from work.  More on this new route soon.

See?  Never a dull moment.  My life is full of action and adventure.  :)

Anything new and fresh going on with your bike commute?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Fresh Bike Commute

1. Dave says:

Not much other than that I’m a crazy Portlander and have been enjoying the light drizzle we’ve been having the last couple of mornings.

Well, a little bit more than that, but you’ll have to wait for the post on Portlandize to find out more, as it would be a post-long comment to try to explain it all :)

Glad you haven’t gotten caught in a sudden storm again :)

2. It’s fun to mix up your bike route every now and again and these little side streets look so pretty I’d be tempted to go that way every day!

3. nicolas says:

Eh not so much. I tried putting my bike on the RER (Paris light rail) this morning because I thought Friday 15th July was gonna be veeeery roomy (the day after Bastille day y’all), but they ran like 50% fewer trains, so that didn’t work out. I did have a pretty great commute in the end, along the Luxembourg, Saint-Germain and 2nd district… finally boarded the overground train from Saint-Lazare to La Défense, it was kind of a treat. Now if only I’d remembered to take my bacon-cheddar muffins with me…

4. dukiebiddle says:

Hot curb bump out in the last picture. When possible, I’ll take 30 minutes on quiet streets over 20 minutes of busy streets every time.

5. Sue says:

Nothing too exciting on my direct route. There’s only one side road to take to change it up every now and then, which adds on a mile or two and it’s a bit more scenic. No great bakeries along the way though, :(. But, there is a Dunkin Donuts, if I really get desperate for something sweet :).

6. Trisha says:

Any day that brings a cupcake is an adventure. :) Love it!

7. NancyB says:

I saw a record number of cyclists this week here in my little burg, which is always nice. Even made it home in record time on Wednesday using a combo tailwind and “there’s a biker riding faster than me” motiviation. Stopping by the Italian grocery on the way home so I guess that’s an adventure.

8. I follow the same cycle path to commute to work for the past year. And I totally agree that there’s never a dull moment. The movements of the streets are ever changing. I still discover things I haven’t noticed before even now on the same route. One of my favourite things to do is to peek into the shops or cafes to see what they’re up to when I stop at the traffic lights. You don’t always get to pause and observe when you’re a pedestrian. But somehow on the bicycle you have these precious little moments to get to wander into different worlds for a short while, then you move on. To the next one. There’s no such thing as ‘routined’ journey for me.

I love your cream Coco by the way. I ride a Velorbis myself (Dannebrog). It’s a great bike!

9. Maureen says:

Cool weather, newly painted lanes, and cupcakes! Seems perfect!

10. Ash says:

I spot Greenview. You’ll see a little bit of that street on next week’s Critical Lass route.

• Dottie says:

Yup! I’m in love with Greenview, don’t know how I lived the past 4 years in Chicago without Greenview. Can’t wait for Crit Lass!

11. Julie Hardee says:

The freshness I’m feeling lately is more girls/women on my commute. I’m very happy to have Lady Biker company.

12. Aly says:

This isn’t entirely related to your post, but I am wondering what type of kickstand your bike has. It looks like the front wheel is popping up in one picture. As a newbie bike rider, I wonder if that makes for easy tire changes?

• I’ve got a very similar model (Dannebrog) and the double kickstand is brilliant. It keeps the bike very stable even when you have a lot of cargo. The front doesn’t tilt upward by default but if you carry a pannier or shopping bag at the back it weights it down so the front wheel pops up. A bit like a seesaw. I don’t think it makes any difference with tire changes though.

13. Eco Mama says:

Fun post. Bikes and cupcakes–yes yes!!
    xo
    Eco Mama

14. It is a good exercise to ride in a bike after all you can also save money for the transportation in case the market is near.