Ice cream ride

Not to be outdone by Dottie’s delicious-looking cupcake ride, a couple of weeks ago Whitney and I made an ice cream ride. Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams was opening their first shop outside of Ohio, and the siren song of “free ice cream” was impossible to resist.

Whitney crosses the pedestrian bridge

So we rode to East Nashville to meet our friends S&T in line, where we discovered that we were far from the only ones who heard the call.

That last dark grey building on the right? That'd be the shop.

Sparkling conversation and a disinclination to hop right back on the bike for 7 miles back in the steamy summer heat kept me in the line. (The taste of an amazing macaron ice cream sandwich we were offered by a Jeni’s employee didn’t hurt either.) So we waited. And waited. And waited. Eventually* we were right outside the shop.

A little while after that, we could see the sign advertising the event.

And soon after that, we were actually INSIDE.

It smelled delectable. I think it was the freshly made waffle cones.

I tortured myself further by reading Jeni’s cookbook, which is full of tempting recipes.

But then we were at the counter and sampling the flavors. And eventually meeting Jeni herself, who was friendly and welcoming and flattered by the amazing reception her ice cream was getting.

brambleberry crisp and strawberry buttermilk

salty caramel & queen city cayenne

Verdict? Splendid!

*and by “eventually,” I mean and hour and a half later.

Photos in this post, with the exception of  the first and fourth, taken by T.K.

7 thoughts on “Ice cream ride

1. Rob says:

Oh, I’m so very jealous. We had Jeni’s when the wife and I stayed in Columbus. I’ve thought about ordering pints and quarts from there ever since.

Oberweis will have to do for now, sadly.

2. Doug says:

“the siren song of “free ice cream” was impossible to resist”

I can definitely understand this! The smiles on your faces confirm it.

3. I’m so envious! I want to go on ice-cream rides. (actually, as I sit here with my broke. Foot propped up, I want to be able to go on any kind of ride. Or walk…). And I want yummy flavors of frozen goodness.

I also want Jeri’s cookbook – which happily is something I can make appear in my life. So thanks for mentioning her book in your post.

4. Sam says:

I need to get out more to consume ice cream…esp. now that we’re experiencing an actually summer!

5. Dottie says:

Yum! I totally would have stood in line with you two. :)

6. Miss Sarah says:

Salted caramel. SOOO GOOOD.

Must go on macaron ride. Very soon.

7. Maureen says:

What a fun treat to pedal towards!