A Delicious Cupcake Ride!

Ride to eat cupcakes, eat cupcakes to ride.

On Saturday, that’s exactly what a celebratory group of 18 bicyclists did, navigating 8 miles to visit 3 bakeries and consume countless cupcakes.  All in the best summer finery, of course.

After setting off from Wicker Park, we stopped first at Alliance Bakery, my personal favorite of the day.  Such delicious and beautiful confections!

The group got a little sidetracked by a very pink sidewalk sale at a boutique next door…

But we soon got back to serious cupcake business.

Next we biked through Wicker Park and Bucktown and across the river to Roscoe Village for our second stop, Bleeding Heart.

There we visited with a bicyclist who would have joined us for the ride, if she had not had to work at the bakery that day.  Hi!  :)

We took a break at a park across the street, as we began to realize that eating more than one cupcake in a row can be quite a challenge.

Then after riding through Roscoe Village, Lakeview and Lincoln Park, we arrived at our final bakery, Sweet Mandy B’s.  A final round of cupcakes was ordered, because we’re hardcore like that.

Finally, we parked ourselves at the beautiful rose garden in nearby Oz Park for a picnic of … cupcakes!  And champagne!  A lovely combination.

Merci Beaucoup to my partner in crime, Sara.  I literally could not have done it on my own, without her enthusiasm and route-mapping skillz.  And mucho gracias to our adorable yet badass corker, Ash.

Thanks to everyone who came out!  You’re all awesome!

What kind of ride should we do next?  Perhaps some gelato and ice cream?  Perhaps!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “A Delicious Cupcake Ride!

1. Maureen says:

Looks like everyone had a blast. Tfs

2. Sue says:

You all look stunning with your cupcakes and bikes. And the gentlemen look dapper too!

3. Holly says:

What gorgeous photos! You all look so lovely.

Please keep me on your email list as I do really want to participate in one of these weekend theme rides.

4. Simply Bike says:

Dottie, I love your dress! Everyone looks so stylish!

Cupcakes, champagne, bikes… dare I say it? I think you’ve found the formula for perfection! What a wonderful ride idea!

5. Lauren says:

these pictures made me smile.

and your dress! omg i love your dress!

6. Tia says:

I’m super bummed I didn’t make it out. I was all convinced my bike was going to be out of the shop in time, and I was wrong. It looks like everyone had a fab time though. :)

7. Shannon says:

My sister lives in Roscoe Village and I visit about once a month. I would love to join you all on one of your rides one weekend if it happens to be that I am in town! I may just have to start a themed bicycle ride in Lansing, Mi in the meantime!

8. philippe says:

Count me in the “OMG this dress is hot !” camp.

(And “sustainable punk rock pastry” made me laugh. What do they put in their cakes ? Beer and glue ?)

9. Man says:

Wow – What a great idea ! Looks like everyone had a great time.
    These pics made me smile as well.

Off subject question, but how tall is your bike in that first picture..?
    It seems really tall or maybe it is just the angle…?
    Perhaps I am missed a pic of you on it and it is not that tall. Just curious.

10. Kara says:

I am beyond jealous. This looks like the most perfect day. I might have to have a Cupcake Ride for one.

11. Cara says:

I’m so bummed I wasn’t able to make it. One of these days, I hope to be able to join one of your fabulous group rides. Though maybe I staved off potential embarrassment by not coming, because I probably would have been wearing the same pink, heart-covered dress as the woman in the third picture!

12. Miss Sarah says:

I love that dress! You all look really great and oh, those cakes look fantastic.

I also wholeheartedly agree with your gelato idea.

S*

13. Sara says:

Best day ever! :)

14. welshcyclist says:

I know this embarrasses you, Dottie, but I have to say it, you are absolutely gorgeous! What’s more I love your blog.

15. Eco Mama says:

Awww…love those butterflies!
    xo
    Eco Mama

16. […] Leave a Comment Written by the eco-cyclist Share Tweet I’ve read on some blogs (Let’s Go Ride a Bike) and other blogs about cupcake rides. A bunch of ladies get together, dress up and ride to cupcake […]

17. Hyedie says:

Wow! It looks like you guys had a fabulous time! Everyone looks so stylish!

It also looks like you had nice weather too :)

If you are ever in Toronto, maybe you can join one of our rides. I organize a Cupcake ride once a month for girls only and co-organize one every other month for guys and gals!

18. Dottie says:

Oh, my gosh – I love that there’s a cupcakeride.com! :) I don’t have any immediate plans to visit Toronto, but when I do, I will certainly get in touch.

19. Bibliogrrl says:

I rode past you guys as you lounged in the park at Belmont and Damen! I wanted to stop and say hi, but was on my way to work. It looked like a lovely time!

20. Hyedie says:

YAAAAY!!! Hopefully I can visit Chicago soon and partake in some bike riding and cupcake eating too :)