Year of the cicadas

You may have heard that Nashville was the proud host of a 13-year cicada brood this spring.

Kermit Allegra does not enjoy insect infestations

After nearly three weeks of incessant mating calls, which at times were audible indoors over air-conditioning, things are finally winding down. Now, the dwindling cries of the male cicadas are almost drowned out by the crunch of their carcasses along my commute.

It’s preferable to scenes like this

and being bombed by swarms if I happen to step under the wrong tree.

Like any trying time, the cicada invasion produced some interesting art.

But overall I’m happy to be on the “die” end of their life cycle.

16 thoughts on “Year of the cicadas

1. Miss Sarah says:

Have you seen the Planet Earth episode about cicadas?

OMG. Terrifying and fascinating all at once!

S*

2. Dottie says:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

That is all. :)

3. Emma says:

Fab artwork – I in particular love the pipe smoking cicada!

4. Frits B says:

There’s so much talk about edible insects nowadays. Ample source of proteins, nice crunchy bite, fried or dipped in chocolate … You didn’t feel tempted to try one? :-)

5. Amy says:

Oh, I LOVE the artwork! Great stuff. Must have been just a Nashville thing this time. I didn’t really notice them over here. Just a few. My husband likes to tell the story of when he moved east from Utah. The same year that one of the big 17 year broods emerged. This was in VA. They covered EVERYTHING and the noise, oh the noise. And for me, being a tomboy-ish 10 year old at that time I was fond of finding the husks and hanging them from my cloths and hiding them around the house to scare mom. :)

6. Sam says:

I wonder how many people eat them.

I’m of the “ew” variety too, I’m not much of a nature lover, quite frankly.

7. ridon says:

gross! i’d freak out having to swat those things off my bike.

8. GravelDoc says:

They’ve been singing up a storm here in Missouri, too. I haven’t seen the numbers you have, though.

9. stephen says:

I was in DC in the late 80s when a brood emerged. Freaky. Driving around with the windows closed to keep them from flying in whilst navigating big city traffic.

Keep your mouth closed if you’re cycling around..

10. Maria says:

A few years ago we were returning from the west coast via Highway 50 across Nevada – aka, the loneliest road in America. For about 30 or 40 miles we passed through a cicada migration. They were so thick on the roads that you could hear them crushing under your tires as you sped down the highway. Road graders were out scraping the crushed messes from the surface. In the one town we went through we stopped to get something to drink and getting from the car to the store was a scary proposition. I get the willies everytime I see them now.

11. OMG I had no idea they were so prevalent where you live! That close-up of the one on the Abici tire gives me the heebie jeebies! Poor bike : )

12. Cathey says:

Oh my goodness, that’s disturbing. I’m such a wimp when it comes to bugs, I think I would have stayed inside for 3 weeks straight. I have my fingers crossed that they never come to Dallas!
    The artwork is great though!!

13. Lauren says:

i am so glad the cicadas are finally dying out… although i never did end up with a swarm in my hair like some of my friends! my roommate’s dog is pretty bummed, though – she looooved eating cicadas. she was actually featured on the news one night for it! haha!

can’t say they ever bothered me, other than when i would try to do stuff outside (movies in the park, yoga, renn fest) & you couldn’t hear anything over the sound of their chatter.

14. Jack says:

I miss the buzz of the cicada. We don’t have them in the PNW. It was the sound of summer while growing up in Indy.

15. Lauren M.F. says:

Those posters are FANTASTIC! Was there some sort of contest, or do you just have stand up artists down in Nashville that are particularly good at making the very best out of a somewhat icky, infrequent situation?