Brooke’s Betty Foy (because she’s worth it!)

Reader and cyclist Brooke contacted me back in February for advice on building up a Rivendell Betty Foy. Always happy to help, I dumped a whole slew of opinions on her (which one day I will post, since I have a lot of specific thoughts on component options for the Betty Foy) and this month I heard back from her that she received her beautiful Betty Foy. For your enjoyment and information, here are her photos and a bit more about her Betty Foy story.

Brooke and her new Rivendell Betty Foy

My hubby and I decided we wanted to bring more bike love and less car reliance to our family. The plan was to sell one of our cars, and get our family on bikes more – for errands, commuting, short joy rides, and hopefully some bike camping. I needed a bike I could truly enjoy riding on my own and with one of my kids on the back. In my search I came across Dottie’s blog. Oh Betty Foy! It was love at first site (and at first read of the description) – but I thought I didn’t deserve such a fancy bike. I hadn’t commuted by bike since the kids were born. It seemed a huge leap to go from an old Fuji Finest to such a specimen. But the more I researched, the more I felt that Rivendell’s Betty Foy best met my desires for a comfortable, yet hill and rain capable commuting and (potentially) touring bicycle. I convinced myself in February that I was worth it. After a very long wait, she’s finally here. Thank you Dottie for the inspiration!

Some specs:

Tires: Creme Grand Bois Hetres (so lovely!)
Wheels: Velocity Dyads
Fenders: VO fluted
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Brakes: Long reach Tektro R556
Shifters: Shimano Barends (front der. friction, rear der. indexed)
Kickstand: Massload double (super stable for loading a kid on to the bike)
Red valve caps and cable crimps (okay, not a spec, but big love for the little things)

Starting her young

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, Brooke. I am so happy you decided that you are indeed worth it! We here at LGRAB wish you and your Betty the very best! :)

17 thoughts on “Brooke’s Betty Foy (because she’s worth it!)

1. bongobike says:

Betty looks stunning with her cream tires! But you definitely need to get at least a rear rack for her so you can carry stuff. Don’t skimp on the rack; get a high-quality one like a Nitto or a Tubus. Enjoy!

2. cycler says:

Like the bike, LOVE the garden in the background!
    (sorry, got plants on the brain)

3. So cool to see the Betty Foy with Grand Bois Hetres! Congratulation on the new bicycle and I agree with bongobikes about the rear rack!

4. Simply Bike says:

Brooke is so cute! She and Betty are stylin’ together. Enjoy your new sweet bike, Brooke!

5. Brooke says:

Thanks bongobike and Lovely Bicycle! for the rack suggestion. I am still trying to find the right kid seat for the back of the bike and many of them either come with a rack or require a specific one. Any suggestions for kid seats appreciated! In the meantime she now has a Nitto front rack, Wald basket, and Laplander bag for toting.

• neighbourtease says:

We have a bobike maxi — you don’t actually need a rear rack with it so you could get a good rack that works with what you want to do when not carrying your child. I would definitely recommend a frame mounted seat anyway because it will be much more stable. We had a rack mounted seat when I first started riding with my son at around 9 months and it sucked in comparison.

Bobike also sells the thing it attaches to separately, so my husband has one on his bike, too and we can just move the seat itself back and forth. Finally, unlike many many other seats, it’s just black, which I found to be a big relief.

Beautiful bike!

• Brooke says:

How much does the bobike attachment weigh? I looked into the Yepp and the attachment was so heavy – I couldn’t imagine riding with it when I did not have a kid with me.

6. Brooke says:

cycler: We love the garden too! Gardening is another one of our hobbies. :)

7. Caroline says:

Love Betty with the Grand Bois Hetres! The extra red details are super sweet as well. I’ve been trying to decide between a Betty and a custom mixte, so many variables make this such a tough choice! Whatever I decide, I’m definitely putting Hetres on my next bike :-)

8. Sue says:

Great story and lovely bike Brooke! Have you thought of a trailer vs a bike seat for the kids? Just another option.

9. Kara says:

Yay! Another Betty gal! Congrats on the fab new bike, Brooke! Those tires are stunning.

10. dweendaddy says:

Re: kids seats:
    If you have the child behind you, I would vote for a frame mounted one from Bobike or Kettler.
    If you want her in front (many people like that), iBert and Bobike have options, I believe.

11. Timoohz says:

I thought the twin kickstand was odd, but then I read about the plans for babyseat and it made sense. Red valvecaps – shows you’ve really paid attention to the details!

Enjoy the ride! :)

12. Maureen says:

Congratulations! She’s a beauty! You two are sure to have many fun adventures in your future!

13. GravelDoc says:

Lovely bicycle and so well appointed! Betty looks so comfortable, it must be like riding on a “magic carpet”. (:

14. Trisha says:

May you have many years of fun together! Beautiful Betty Foy build, Brooke!