A public service announcement

Dear LGRAB readers:

Summer weather is here. The sun is strong. Riding 10+ miles without proper protection is not recommended.

Here’s hoping that this is the kind of sunburn that is here today, tan tomorrow.

Thank goodness for the SPF 15 in my face lotion

The cats care not for my suffering

The ride to East Nashville was worth it, but I won’t make this mistake twice. Maybe now that I’ve mentioned it, you won’t make it once.

Love,

Trisha the red xo

Tagged , , , ,

14 thoughts on “A public service announcement

1. Carolyn I. says:

Ouch! I didn’t wear sunscreen while hiking today, and I was lucky to not get burned.

Hope it heals fast!

2. Miss Sarah says:

Yikes, take an antihistamine to stop the swelling! That’s what I do.

Just don’t forget that you took a Benedryl and then drink a glass of wine. I did that too. And I was sleeeeepy.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

3. beany says:

I got a shoulder sunburn two weekends ago and was offended! How dare the sun ignore the fact that I am supposed to be immune to sunburns?

Sorry about the sunburn though…now I can actually empathize with you.

4. Richard says:

I did the same thing in Indy yesterday – burn forearms and knees :( I’ve had Melanoma and know better but it seems to take one burn every spring to get me in the sunscreen habit again!

5. Dottie says:

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Now that Chicago is starting to get sunny, I will remember to wear sunscreen, starting today.

It’s cool that you biked to East Nashville, though. What was your destination?

6. Simply Bike says:

Oh no, hope it feels better soon. I’m definitely putting on sunscreen these days, but it’s still easy to forget after so many months of not needing it.

Thanks for the reminder! S.

• Lynnety says:

I almost never leave the house without sunscreen. It works. Something with physical block (titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) always works better. Burnout is my favorite face sunblock.

For long rides, I try to wear thin wicking (or preferably wool) long sleeved shirts. Saves a lot of sunscreen hassle. I wear a long sleeved turtleneck rash guard on the beach!

As far as not needing it for so many months — you needed it. UV damage is cumulative and permanent.

• Dottie says:

Good reminder that sunscreen is important even when the sun is not warm. But I assume most people – at least women – wear sunscreen on their faces year round as part of their moisturizer routine, but otherwise it is not needed during the many months when every other patch of skin is covered, at least in Chicago. :)

7. ridon says:

yipes. time to start packing a travel size sunscreen in the purse! at least you don’t have that dreaded sunglasses line.

8. Amy says:

Oh no! Hope it isn’t too bad. I learned my lesson two years ago. I went out kayaking (on a lake, slow poking along on a flat deck “sit-on-top” type kayak) with out sunscreen. I ended up with 2nd degree burn all the way down the front of my legs! I even ended up sick that evening from it. I couldn’t let clothing touch my legs for about a week. Definitely learned my lesson! I ended up with a killer tan from it though. Still have it in fact! :)

9. [...] Travel Size [affmage source="cj" results="30"]Travel Size[/affmage] [affmage source="linkshare" resu…p>Dual Voltage Flat Irons are the latest trend in the hair styling industry as they make the perfect travel mate for women today. If you are working women who are in constant need for traveling for your business purpose and yet require styling your hair everyday to maintain the style and beauty without fail always, the dual voltage flat irons are specially designed for you. Before the introduction of travel size dual voltage flat irons, people had no other option than to visit a salon when they are away from their home. But a dual voltage flat iron helps in styling your hair into whatever hairstyles you wish to use your own flat iron that can be carried comfortably with you. You can thus get yourself prepared for a big date or a business meeting at the comfort of your hotel room without the need for depending on a hair dresser. Thus, you can now rest assured that your frizzy and unmanageable hair can always be styles wherever you go.The dual voltage feature of the travel flat iron helps in using the device anywhere in the world without caring about the voltage requirement of that country. They are designed with a range of voltage options for your special convenience. You can use it between 110 to 220 volts anywhere in the world. In order to fit in your luggage, the dual voltage flat irons are designed with small, compact, light weight profile and are available with cordless option for you to carry in your handbag and use it anywhere in the world. They are not that much heavy for you to carry with inconvenience. [...]

10. Ouch! As my better half always says about sunburn; “It’s not red, it’s early-stage brown.”(!!)

But Lynnety’s comment is kind of worrying; you can’t not expose yourself to UV and the sun’s energy all the time, you’ll end up with a vitamin deficiency! A little bit of sun every now and then is a good thing. Enjoy it!

11. Cathey says:

That’s what I look like too today and also due to a 10 mile ride without sunscreen! Except I thought I had applied sunscreen. Apparently after hitting my face with it I got distracted and now I resemble a lobster from the neck down. A lobster with really weird lines on my back due to the strange racerback thing going on with the shirt I chose to wear. It’s painful today!
    Hope yours gets better soon!

12. Maureen says:

OUCH! I’m fair, and try to use sunscreen whenever I’m in the sun, and yet still somehow I burn at times. Feel better soon!