A Late Blooming Spring

So far this year, I have not seen any flowers. The temperature is finally warming, but the scenery remains bleak. How disappointing!

I decided to check the LGRAB archives to determine when I could expect beautiful cherry blossoms and I was shocked to see that by this time last year, Chicago was filled with flowers. I guess Spring 2011 is a “late bloomer.”

April 2, 2010 – A Good Friday Commute

April 3, 2010 – I Never Get Tired of My Bike

April 4, 2010 – Simple Spring Enjoyment

April 10, 2010 – Cherry Blossom Oma

April 11, 2010 – Black and White Spring

I’m going to take a bike ride this warm Sunday and hunt for flowers. :)

Is anyone else still waiting impatiently for spring?

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “A Late Blooming Spring

1. *amanda* says:

OH MY GOSH! I am! I am waiting impatiently for Spring!

This post truly strokes my heart-strings, and I guess I woke feeling the SAME. EXACT. SENTIMENTS.

See my impromptu post from this morning —
    Longing For Some Springtime Biking & Audrey Hepburn Perfection:

2. Carolyn I. says:

I heard that Vancouver is behind too, cooler then usual.

We still have snow on the ground here in Prince George, and it’s still in the forecast. The snow has been melting, but not very fast! The high for today is only 2c (37f). Brrrrrrr. Yet, in Europe, it’s been warm, I know friends in Bath, UK, and it’s in the 20s (68+ f) there right now.

Who knows when we will see flowers (or even leaves on trees), they usually come out sometime in May here, but maybe it won’t happen until June? I hope not! Funny though, Environment Canada predicted a cold Spring, and it looks like they were correct.

3. Maureen says:

S o m e flowers beginning to bloom here,(NY) not huge fields, or beautiful bunches – just some dispersed here and there.

4. Duna says:

Here in Toronto we had our first real spring-like beautiful day yesterday – but still not quite warm enough to dress like spring. It has been really cold, sadly. And today it is thunderstorming :( Which is frustrating because I just bought a new bike yesterday, and I want to ride it around and around and around!!

5. RobW says:

Spring has sprung in the south. Azaileas everywhere are blooming, and yellow pollen fills the air like crazy. Eye protection is a must not only from pollen, but insects too.
    Great photos you posted for today. Mr Dottie is one VERY lucky guy. :-)

6. Cathey says:

I love your blog! I’ve been reading it religiously for awhile now, but this is the first time I’ve commented.
    Spring has definitely begun here in Texas. The plants are beautiful, but unfortunately it’s about 90 degrees today and getting hotter!
    On a completely unrelated (and vain!) note, how to your bangs manage to look so good after wearing a helmet? Mine get so kinked and smushed it’s not even funny! I’m wondering if there’s a trick or secret you’re using, or if you’re just lucky!
    I just started riding a bike for the first time in about 15 years and am trying to get my nerve up to ride somewhere other than a bike trail in my very bike-unfriendly neighborhood. Your blog is inspiring me and helping me gain courage to do it! So thank you!

• Dottie says:

Cathey, Thank you so much for your kind words and for commenting! Texas heat sounds like it would be too much for me, but at least you don’t have to deal with a harsh winter. Good luck with your bike explorations – my advice is to take it slow and have fun. :)

7. Luke Wilson says:

Here in upstate New York, we actually have tulips popping up. I know, I was surprised too.

8. Same story in Boston, only today have flowers finally started coming up.

The Oma/ cherry blossom pictures from last year are classic.

9. NancyB says:

I new it’s been a long winter, thank you for documenting it! The only flowers at my house are the daffodils, which looked lovely today. Everything else is getting close…..

10. Sue says:

I’m starting to see little bulbs trying to prod out of the ground, but have not yet seen any tree blossoms. I did buy some pretty fake flowers this weekend, but just not the same… sigh.

11. Jack in Portland says:

What a fantastic collage! Romantic images, pretty girls in pretty dresses surrounded by sunlight and flowers, all things bright and beautiful, the penultimate definition of rebirth, resurrection and Spring!

12. L says:

Some very nice photos, indeed! ;)

*The sun was warm but the wind was chill.
    You know how it is with an April day.
    ~Robert Frost

And Spring arose on the garden fair,
    Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
    And each flower and herb on Earth’s dark breast
    rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.
    ~Percy Bysshe Shelley, “The Sensitive Plant

Yesterday the twig was brown and bare;
    To-day the glint of green is there;
    Tomorrow will be leaflets spare;
    I know no thing so wondrous fair,
    No miracle so strangely rare.
    I wonder what will next be there!
    ~L.H. Bailey

~~~~~~~~
    Joyful Sprngtime to you and yours ! ;)
    L

• steve says:

Here in southern Minnesota, my mom’s crocus’s bloomed about two weeks ago. Of course, they have been known to come up through the snow.

13. KateB says:

We’re lucky enough to have some flowers blooming in DC! I went for a ride in Rock Creek Park yesterday and saw some clusters of daffodils and tulips lining the path, which made me wish I had brought my camera.

14. Simply Bike says:

Spring 2010 was decidedly cheerier! But I saw the first sings of some yellow flowers on campus this morning and I’m hopeful that we’ll be seeing nature in bloom soon!

I love all the photos from your archives – such beautiful photography, Dottie!

S.

15. Julie says:

It’s seriously JUST NOW starting to bud a little in New York City. There are some daffodils and a few other implanted flowers but I’m looking around every corner for Central Park to be full of green trees again.

I’m sick of seeing sticks and the skyline!

16. Jen says:

In Portland it seems the opposite; the cherry blossoms have bloomed and they’re gorgeous, but the weather remains colder (and wet, of course).

I can’t wait until I can wear dresses without tights again. Great pictures!

17. daniel says:

Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures, they really do make one feel life worth living and living it simply.

18. cycler says:

My Daffodils bloomed this morning! Last night they were all still hiding in their little green sheaths, but this morning 6 or so of them had burst out in all their yellow glory- Hooray!

Now if I can just get the last kitchen details killed off, I can go out and play in the garden this weekend, cleaning up all the winter’s debris and planting some pansies.

I did ride without tights today for only the second time this spring. Haven’t broken out the floral prints yet though!

19. Don says:

Beautiful page, beautiful bikes, beautiful people.

You might check the link from your profile on
    youtube. It seems to have gotten corrupted,
    but was easy to figure out how to get here from there.

Best wishes…

20. … [Trackback]…

[...] Read More here: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2011/04/a-late-blooming-spring/ [...]…

21. Sex Toys says:

… [Trackback]…

[...] Find More Informations here: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2011/04/a-late-blooming-spring/ [...]…

22. The ultimate place where you can get premium apps for your Android/iPhone/Windows smartphone!…

[...]A Late Blooming Spring « Let's Go Ride a Bike – life on two wheels: simple. stylish. fun.[...]…