April Showers

April showers are officially here. As winter slowly recedes, the season of rain begins. Unless you live in Portland, in which case it never ended. :)

My trusty rain trench and wool combo

Although I haven’t experienced rain since the snow started months ago, rain is no stranger to the LGRAB world. Check out the 4 pages of posts we’ve written about the subject, under the tag “rain.”

For more direct guidance, there’s Trisha’s how-to advice for riding in the rain, a quick video I made showing how easy it is to prep for rain, and my “April Showers” post from one year ago.

And if you don’t like riding in rain, remember my mantra. Rain: at least it’s not hail.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “April Showers

1. Carolyn I. says:

I agree, hail is worse! We had some unusually big ones fall last Summer. Good thing that I wasn’t outside!

2. Mandy says:

Rain is one of those things that I think we can learn to love, with a bit of mind-over-matter. Here in rainy Vancouver, that’s the only way I can stay happy through the winter. My strategy is to find a stylish trench (“trusty” is a good word for a trench!) long enough to cover the knees when they’re horizontal, then add a DIY connector at the very bottom to keep it from flapping open as I ride. I’m currently sporting a shiny red London Fog that I call my “stealth raincoat” because it takes me seamlessly from bike lane to office building, entirely at home in both.

• Dottie says:

I want a red raincoat, too! I bought this beige one for the “stealth raincoat” look, but now I would prefer to have a color that pops more in traffic. Red is a good compromise between style and visibility.

3. Will says:

Now wait a minute Portland has four seasons just like everyone else. And we’re just starting “the season of rain” in Portland too! After that will come “the season of less rain”, and then after that will be “the season of heavy rain”, followed finally by “the season of cold rain” (which also happens to be the one we’re just wrapping up). I just don’t get why people say Portland has dreary weather! ;)

• adventure! says:

Wait Will! I thought we’re ending “The Season of Rain”, not starting! We’re starting “The Season of Less Rain, and the Rain We Will Have Will Be More Interesting, like there will be two hours of sun followed by 10 minutes of downpour with 5 minutes of hail, followed by an hour of sun.”

You also forgot to mention “The Season of No Rain”. Oops. I forgot, we’re not supposed to talk about that one!

• Dave says:

Apparently we just started the season of “sun until you need to go somewhere,” as it either rained or hailed every time I went out today (helping a friend load furniture up on a truck to move) and then inexplicably got very nice and sunny as soon as I locked up my bike.

Someone up there is softly chuckling to themself.

4. Maureen says:

It was raining here yesterday, very lightly. I thought of not riding, but with my trusty helmet to keep my hair dry, a rain jacket, and a scarf my ride was refreshing and enjoyable. I am overly cautious since my fall (on a beautiful day)last September, and don’t want to take any chances though. This morning – the sky here is BLUE…and I will go on a lovely ride!

5. I never would have thought of riding in a trench but that’s a great idea–I actually have one which should work!

6. welshcyclist says:

You look stunning no matter what you wear!