Magical Cupcakes on Wheels

I know I blog about cupcakes a lot – here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here! – but this is an extra special cupcake bike story.

Last Friday, I stepped out of my office at the end of the day and right before my eyes was a cupcake van parked in front of Oma.

I did not know where the magical cupcake van came from, but of course I immediately made a purchase.

When I got home, I googled the company, Flirty Cupcakes on Wheels, and discovered that it’s quite the thing in Chicago.  The van drives around downtown to surprise locations, broadcasts the location through Twitter and Facebook, and then after an hour or so disappears back to the magical land of unicorns and rainbows.  Buying their cupcakes is like catching a butterfly in a net.

The only thing that would make this company waaaay cooler?  Cupcakes by bakfiets.  Somebody get working on that one and you’ll have a loyal fan forever.  :)

Tagged , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Magical Cupcakes on Wheels

1. LadyEnoki says:

ah chicago really does have everything doesn’t it. Someone ought to bringeth thee magical cupcake van down to south Florida

2. Sigrid says:

oooo….i love your idea. down with vans, up with food by bicycle. i’m in…and hey, the more you bike, the more cupcakes you can eat. :)

3. SM says:

“Buying their cupcakes is like catching a butterfly in a net”.

I love that! Now each time I eat a cupcake I’ll be thinking of butterflies :)

4. Julie says:

Me, my bicycle and NYC food trucks are ’bout to get ill this spring & summer! Mr. Frosty trucks are already everywhere again after we had a 74º day Friday.

5. Ash says:

You’ve got to friend Sweet Ride on Facebook/Twitter (http://www.facebook.com/sweetride). You can track where they are moving each day and their cupcakes and whoopie pies are phenomenal.

6. Robert says:

That’s awesome, and I totally agree with the cargo bike idea. I know there’s a coffee/espresso company that bikes/brews during bigger events here in Boulder. I love the “catching a butterfly in a net” comment, though. Can’t wait to get to cycle in Chicago!

7. Louise says:

Cupcakes are always good to blog about, even better if they taste really really yummy.

8. Maureen says:

What a great treat to find waiting for you after a hard day of work! And of course with all the riding you do, you don’t have to worry about calories! All the better!

9. Kara says:

Don’t ever stop blogging about cupcakes by bicycle. That is all.

10. JTuttle says:

What a lovely surprise! Maybe one day I’ll see the magical cupcake van. Looking forward to the cupcake ride!

11. Bill says:

Dottie,

Thanks for mentioning the cupcakes, now you have my wife’s interest – maybe she will get into bicycling? At least she enjoys cupcakes and I think the one leads to the other? If not it should right?

Many thanks….

Bill
    Atlanta, GA

12. Simply Bike says:

Cupcakes on Wheels? Sounds wonderful! And I love that second picture, it’s mouth watering. We need something like this in my neck of the woods, but I agree, cupcakes on bicycle wheels would be even better!

S.

13. Trisha says:

We have a grilled cheese truck and a taco truck, but no cupcake truck! Clearly you need to move back here and fill the gap with a cupcake bike…

14. Trisha says:

p.s. Oma looks hungry!

15. [...] find the best prices available.Click Here to find out where to Buy 91605 16 in.Girls Bike Cupcake 91605 16 in.Girls Bike Cupcake review 20 GIRLS CUPCAKE BIKE – High tensile steel frame and fork. Fou…s Best Selling 91605 16 in.Girls Bike Cupcake tends to SELL OUT VERY [...]