Precious Cargo Fail

What I learned today: 24 bottles of beer can fall from a bike rack in transit and not break.

Tis true.

The heavy cardboard box of Two Brothers brew I strapped to Oma’s rear rack crashed to the pavement as I peddled out of the Costco parking lot. I have successfully biked home with cases of beer in the past, but the problem here was that I could not center the box on the rack because my full pannier had to clip on the left side, so the box was flush on the left side but hanging over quite a bit on the right side. Bad idea. I know this now.

After I thanked the barley gods that the bottles did not break, I repositioned the box in the center of my rear rack, placed the pannier on top of my filled basket, hung a bag from my handlebars, and proceeded to walk my haphazardly loaded bike home, one mile in the misty sleet, mumbling cuss words under my breath.

I really needed a beer by the time I got home, which was convenient.

That was pretty much the perfect end to a difficult week.

A bright spot in the past seven days, though, was a happy hour with some of the women who bike and brunch – and drink! Good times. I did not have my camera, but Ash came through with her phone as she and I prepared to ride home in the wet snow.

Ash and her Batavus Old Dutch

Me and Oma

The happy hour and Darcy’s – I mean, Colin Firth’s – best actor win were the highlights of the week.

Here’s to hoping this coming week is better.

Tagged , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “Precious Cargo Fail

1. Elisa M says:

The same thing happened to me last year…and not one broke, even after 2 of them actually rolled down the street with me chasing after them. It was a sorry sight.

2. adventure! says:

Thankfully all those microbrewers are moving to cans, so we won’t have any future tragedies!
    ;-)

(What kind of beer did ya get? Porter? IPA?)

3. nicolas says:

When an cycling incident like that happens to me, I always wish I had a beer… I would have walked home with 23 beers on the rack and one in my hand, I think!

4. Carolyn I. says:

Whew! That was a close one.

5. Janet says:

Sorry that you had a beer fall and happy they didn’t break. Also sorry I wasn’t able to make it to the happy hour. Hopefully next time!

6. Eric says:

haha, been there before but 1 broke. wet glass over all your other beers isnt too fun :D

7. Alex Reed says:

I love how your photos make you and Ash stand out as splashes of color and life in a drab cityscape. Gorgeous!

8. Treesounds says:

Dang. I’ve hauled a lot of beer on my bike. But never a case. A case? As in 24 beers, and in bottles no less. REALLY?

You totally rock!

• Dottie says:

:) Would have been much more impressive if the case had not fallen. You can see the same case Mr. Dottie carried home on his bike in the summer time here. No mishaps that day.

9. Julia says:

Many years ago, I was carrying a case of only 12, using the retractable handle that comes out of the centre. The handle failed, the case dropped only 18 inches (the distance from my hand to the floor – I am only 5’2″) and 6 of the 12 broke. Gah, what a disaster.

When we need beer these days, we use the Yak trailer, or the suitcase/trailer that came with the Bike Friday. For my other alcohol needs, I get wine which fits into my panniers or baskets more easily.

• Dottie says:

I thought at least half of my bottles would break, too, and I was amazed that none did. I never knew cardboard was so protective.

10. Trisha says:

Thank goodness the beer made it home safe. :)

11. Flitcraft says:

Uh-oh. Similar accidents occur in the films “Poltergeist” and “Pollock.” Spoiler: In both instances, something less than unbridled frivolity ensues. Perhaps keep Il Singnore well away from the front of the television screen and/or Jennifer Connolly. An ounce of prevention, all’s I’m saying….

Otherwise I know nothing about such mishaps since it’s my practice instead to carry the bike home and ride the beer. Since pannier translates as party hat, that’s just the smashing I need.

Sláinte, all, and grand rides.

12. Maureen says:

So glad your bottles didn’t break, I’d worry about all the broken glass! Some weeks are rough…Do you know the picture book “Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” by Judith Viorst? Some weeks are like that!
    Colin Firth – so happy about that!

13. That was lucky! I haven’t transported anything on my bike yet apart from me, but I’m planning to buy a basket today. Exciting!

14. Margarita says:

Hi I transported a 12 pack of Coronas on my Gazelle using the bungee straps plus one other extra bungee cord and it felt like it was permanently attached even if I shook it. I had no problems biking with it home. The rack is awesome with its no-slip grip!

I was also wondering what type of mirror is on your bike and where you got it from? I got one but its kinda goofy looking (like a big metal rod and the clamp was so terrible while I was trying to figure out how to get it on without giving up) and im not sure about it.

• Dottie says:

Nice!

The mirror is the “German mirror” from Rivendell. (rivendell.com) I love it!

• Margarita says:

Oh ok I looked that up. I got the large metal Sunlite heavy duty mirror. If you ever tried any other mirrors like that, how does yours compare and how did you find the rivendell one? If I was to order it, I’d be going on blind faith lol. What is your opinion of those really large full view mirrors like the Sunlite (if you ever tried them) compared to a small one like you have that seems to be convex with a smaller viewing angle?

I’ve been having some issues with Sunlite. I bought a folding basket for my bf’s bike and I don’t know what’s up with their clamps but either I am retarded or they are designed so poorly since no matter how I tried, it wouldn’t fit onto the rack. They also annoyingly come with no instructions. I will probably take it to the bike shop and make them figure it out.

15. Molly says:

Oooof, this reminds me of the time I tried to take home a 6-pack of Blue Sky rootbeer and a can exploded in the baskets behind me after riding over some railroad tracks. Guess it got a little too shook up!

So glad you made it home eventually for a well deserved brew. Wish I could have made it to happy hour! Next time!