Bringing in the Spring Style

Every bicyclist has his or her own personal signs of spring style – something that clearly indicates a departure from the darkness of winter. My friend Elizabeth’s involves clip-in bike shoes for the first time since fall, fingerless gloves, footless leggings and flouncy skirts.

Love this look! While totally utilitarian, it’s also a stylish celebration of spring that conveys her individuality.

She and I got together today for a lunchtime bike ride to celebrate the high-50’s temperature. (More on that later.)

How does your bicycle get-up change as the weather warms? Do you also feel the need to mark spring with a celebratory style?

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Bringing in the Spring Style

1. Bill says:

I find the gloves help me, many have gel in the palms so your hands don’t fall asleep. Many use the same fingerless gloves for spinning class. At least they work well when the weather is nice.

BTW, enjoying my new Brompton. What can I say – bikes multiply.

Bill
    Atlanta, GA

2. Steve A says:

Half finger gloves and sunglasses with snow in the background leave me conflicted.

I haven’t been able to bring myself to switch over though to half finger gloves even though it hit the upper 70’s here today. I did ride to work in a t shirt, however – with long pants.

• Vee says:

That’s so funny. I have a true fondness for lightweight clothing with snow in the background. Like snow pants with t shirts while skiing, the best time of year.

3. Spring style? in February? Hm, ever the optimist.

Lovely pictures, as ever.

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by inspiredinvegas and Let's Go Ride a Bike, Barb Chamberlain. Barb Chamberlain said: By @letsgorideabike: Bringing in the Spring Style http://bit.ly/hgmZ6w [...]

5. Vee says:

Funny enough, today I cleaned out the car and garage and found my winter helmet that I never got to bc we’ve had snow bolders since dec. I put the winter lining in in case of skiing this weekend. I was standing in my yard with no coat on wearing my wi ter helmet. I was so ready for spring I was in denial it was coming and planned lots of snowy events and now it’s warm.

6. Amy says:

I was bare armed and sock-less for the first time today! It got up to about 70. Still needed a sweater and socks after the sun went down though.

7. DeborahS says:

I’m impressed that you think that weather heralds the start of spring. Here in the UK we would think of it as the depths of winter, and it would be surprising to see anyone cycling, let alone in fingerless gloves and gorgeous gear. Keep on going (love your blog, found it by chance last week and can’t stay away – thanks!)

8. David says:

Also in Chicago – rode home without a jacket for the first time since, I dunno, October, and it was sooo nice!

9. That’s a great outfit!

10. Audrey says:

LOVE the gloves! Can you please tell me where they are from? GREAT outfit, BTW!

• E A says:

@Audrey, the gloves were a gift from a friend of mine – Isotoners! There’s a flap to pull over the fingers and wear like a mitten when it gets too chilly. I think they were purchased at Kohl’s. :-)

11. JTuttle says:

When the weather gets warm (and stays warm), I plan on decorating my basket with flowers. Can’t wait, even though it’s another few weeks away.

12. cris says:

my commute outfit for this morning:

half fingered gloves, red button down dress shirt, thin black sweater, wool cycling knickers, black and grey striped socks, red Fluevog Michael wingtips and wool cycling cap.

no jacket. no scarf. no balaclava. no tights. fingers on the breeze. I feel, like, 10 pounds lighter.

• She looks great.

Today, for spring weather, I wore a belted black merino short sleeved minidress, grey cashmere cropped cardigan, opaque black tights and over the knee black suede flat boots. with a light khaki trench coat over it. Red lipstick, long loose hair. Glorious weather.

Sooo many people out today in NYC. It’s awesome. Have fun, people!

13. bar says:

That third photo is right in front of where I work (and where I ride!). If I see Elizabeth on museum campus, I am totally to say hello and hope I don’t freak her out.

Love your blog; it’s a great resource.

14. Maureen says:

I love the whole look, but especially the gloves! The days are getting longer – HOORAY!

15. I love the entire look, utilitarian yet very cute and girly. My cousin crochetted some fingerless gloves for me for my birthday but I won’t be able to wear them until late spring or summer due to my annoying Raynodes Syndrome problem. Oh, well. Thanks for the spring inspiration.

16. Doug says:

Here in Northeastern Minnesota we don’t dare think of spring until at least late April. Seriously….winter lasts that long. Thinking of spring now leads to winter slapping you up side the head many more times before May.

17. … [Trackback]…

[...] There you will find 69777 more Infos: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2011/02/bringing-in-the-spring-style/ [...]…