Spring Feistiness

Regardless of the actual season, my mind is determined to spring forward. I know because spring feistiness is slowly replacing winter fortitude.

As I mentioned calmly this morning:

THE SNOW IS MELTING!

THE TEMPERATURE IS WARMING!!

THE SPRING IS COMING!!!

After publishing that optimistic message, I swaggered outside in a dress, tights and windbreaker – and the air promptly greeted me with a frosty 27F embrace. Reality rolled her eyes at me.

That’s what happens when my head gets stuck in the clouds. What’s that you say? Something about it being only February 15? I can’t hear you with all these clouds in my ears!

But I soon warmed up, along with the weather as the day progressed, until my ride home was in the high 30’s. Road conditions were hugely improved over last week. Although melting snow in the alleys and puddles froze overnight, the streets and occasionally the bike lanes were clear and dry.

Last spring's feistiness - throw on a windbreaker and gloves and that was today's outfit

I rode Betty Foy, my (relatively) fast bike. About half-way to work, a messenger-type guy bombed past me. A burst of mischievousness caused me to dial up the energy. I was compelled to catch and keep up with him, which I did the rest of the way to work.

Vroom, vroom! ;)

I won’t lie, I was huffing and puffing, but hopefully not loudly enough for him to hear me.

I don’t remember ever getting that impulse during the freezing winter, but long-time readers may remember that I posted about this feistiness/ego last spring.

It’s good to feel feisty again. Winter biking is sooooo 2010 – I’m ready for a new challenge. Let the sweet, fresh air of cold Chicago spring fill my lungs! (Even if it’s still a month away and the temp was -6F only five days ago.)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Spring Feistiness

1. Miss Sarah says:

Sniff sniff, I am so jealous! Today was biting cold. Not temperature-wise, but the wind. Oh, the wind!

Looking forward to warmer days here too. Then Dexter can finally come with me again:)

S*

2. Maureen says:

Hey there Feisty Rider! Kudos to you on catching up with the messenger guy! And spring will soon be here (which is what I keep repeating to myself anyhow!)

3. Sigrid says:

why does it always feel ‘dangerous’ when we midwesterners get hopeful about Spring? “better not get too excited, it will snow again…” I say bring on the optimism and run with those Spring feelings! I’ve got them too. we push through and try to keep our head on straight and then one day, usually in February, one finds themselves cracking… bring on the spring!

4. I’m getting antsy for spring, too, with the slightly warmer days we’ve had. I am ready to get back out there with less gear on!

Side note: I’ll be going to an industry show at McCormick place next month. I’ll be so close to the lakeshore trail that it will hurt not to be on a bike!

5. Matthew says:

I get the same way when someone wooshes past me. I become determined to catch up with them and keep pace. Why is that? My ride was fine at my own pace…
    I am very excited for spring! Can’t wait for these snow piles to melt and for the street-sweepers to resume!

• Thom says:

I think it’s the Fun/Competitive gene that’s been bound up all winter by woolens and mashed potatoes!
      But it’s not just bikers. Horses hate to be passed by another equine any time of year. As they typically don’t eat mashed potatoes nor are they encumbered by woolens, they always have the
      Fun/Competitive thing going.
      Maybe it goes back to when people had to race against horses to the mashed potatoes!

• Matthew says:

Funny, we say the same thing in sailing – Whenever two boats are on the water, it’s a race. :)

(Another sport that, though yes, it can be done in winter, sure is easier in the warmer weather)

• Mike says:

I never feel the urge to chase other cyclists; in the past, whenever I did so, the other guy would blow through stop signs and red lights.

6. cris says:

On Tuesday, the cold was a bit biting out here, but nicely fresh. At some point outside Harvard Square, I got passed by another commuter, and we soon got into a series of ‘red light time trials’ all the way to Kendall … you know: sprint as fast as you can. stop at the next red light. pull up even with each other. don’t talk, but maybe exchange sideways eye contact. light goes green. sprint to the next red light.

it’s fun when it happens, which isn’t often, and it’s a nice way to keep warm.

7. JTuttle says:

I’m with you on being tired of the winter biking. I am just going to enjoy this warm burst (Isn’t that funny that now the 40’s feels like warm?) for all it’s worth.

8. Holly says:

Since Friday, I feel like I’ve had to do all that I can to squelch Spring fever because I know this is not the end of winter. I had to work on Saturday (at home) and was so bummed not to be out there on my bike.

Reading your blog inspires me to think positive, feisty thoughts! Your optimism is infectious. Bring on the Spring! I’m running out of winter fortitude.

9. SM says:

I’m recovering from a bout of the flu and today is the first day I feel like my old self. Your post about spring weather is making me anxious to get out there and ride. Temps are supposed to hit the 50’s here today – so hope to get in a short ride. Picturing you chasing down the messenger made my day :)

10. Vee says:

bah humbag. It’s warm and sunny herre. I was planning on biking or trying to to a few errands and mtgs. My daughter is home sick and I’m stuck at home. Bah humbag on spring breakthroughs!

11. Ian says:

I’d love to have a race with you Dottie, you on Betty and me on my Pashley. I somehow get the feeling you’d beat me……ha ha

12. Flitcraft says:

Here in NYC the curbside piles of snow have subsided to foot-high dregs, the cigarette midden and doggy cloaca of our previous lives. An examination of the stratum most recently bared indicates that Mid January Man subsisted largely on a diet of pistachio nuts, blackened bananas and Jolly Ranchers.

A sprightly brrrrrrng! On your left, please. A rapidly — blessedly — fading view of ass and elbows. Thus shall you know me. –g-

Safe riding and fine weather to one and all.

13. Marcus says:

It was warm enough this morning in NYC (50º going up to 60º by afternoon) that I ditched the winter coat, winter gloves, helmet liner, etc, and rode to work in a button-up shirt and sportcoat. Felt so very good to dress like a human being.

14. Bill says:

Are you the one responsible for my melting snowmobile trail snow Dottie??????

My snowbike is not very happy, or my skis, or my snowshoes, or me :)

Please return winter to Buffalo, NY ASAP!

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

15. Ghost Rider says:

Hooray for springtimey weather!

I briefly caught up with a female commuter who I hadn’t seen before on my route (I wanted to check out the sweet Bianchi road bike she was riding). After a quick hello and exchange of “I like your bike”, she dropped me like a bad habit. I consider myself reasonably fit, but damn…although I can claim I was handicapped by my 40-lb. commuter and dress shoes or something!

16. kristin says:

can someone please remind me of the purse she has on the back of her bike? i know i’ve seen it before and it also comes in silver… a link would be appreciated! thanks!

17. … [Trackback]…

[…] Read More here: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2011/02/spring-feistiness/ […]…

18. … [Trackback]…

[…] There you will find 72492 more Infos: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2011/02/spring-feistiness/ […]…