February’s women-who-bike brunch

The women-who-bike brunch continues to grow each month, to my great delight. The fourth official brunch last Sunday was the biggest yet, with 20 women attending. This was after 6 people sent their condolences due to the inches of fresh falling snow that greeted us in the morning.  Quite a few of us, including me, opted for public transportation due to the weather, but the important part was gathering together and talking with cool women, no matter how we traveled on that particular day.

By the time sunny spring rolls around, we’re going to change things up and start having pot luck picnics. We’ll have to: no restaurant will be able to contain us!

The brunch location: Ann Sather

Our table of 20

Martha and Chicargo Bike

Elizabeth

Danielle and Megan

Famous Ann Sather Cinnamon Rolls

After interesting, intelligent, silly and fun conversation and many huge cinnamon rolls, it was time to unlock our bikes, talk some more and eventually disperse until next month.

Megan unlocks her bike

More talking

Sara and Danielle (the latter 9 months pregnant and riding her Christiana Trike!)

Ready for the ride

Megan, Suzanne and Catherine

Megan, Suzanne and Catherine stay cozy

Janet and her Oma

I wore my "new" vintage horse dress

Some of us stopped by Women and Children First bookstore afterward, where I bought Lionel Shriver’s The Female of the Species (half way through – so good!).

Women and Children First independent bookstore

I’m eagerly looking forward to the next brunch already.  We’ll have to meet up for a happy hour in the meantime.  :)

The End

The next women-who-bike brunch will take place on Sunday, March 6.  If you would like to be on the email list for the time and location, please email me at LGRAB [at] letsgorideabike [dot] com.  The more the merrier!

I also created a group on The Chainlink so we can more easily communicate among each other and continue spreading the word.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

21 thoughts on “February’s women-who-bike brunch

1. Samantha says:

Great photos Dottie! So sorry I had to miss this one – it looks like it was a blast! Glad everyone had such a great time. Next time!

2. Alice Strong says:

Oh the vintage horse dress is wonderful! :)

3. Cecily says:

Can I ask how you started the Women who Bike brunch? I’d like to do something similar in Vancouver, but I fear it’s such a ‘bikey’ town that women here might not feel a need for it. But at the same time, I’d love to find a community of like-minded women in town who would enjoy such an outing.

Thanks!

• Dottie says:

I think something like this would work in Vancouver. Chicago has a well-defined bicycle community already, but there are plenty of women eager for a friendly and open place to hang out with other women who bike.

I started by emailing a few women who commented here that they lived in Chicago, but whom I’d never met. We five got together for one brunch early in the summer and some of them suggested a regular brunch. So then I posted a call here for all Chicago women who would be interested in joining such a brunch group. Once I collected several email addresses, I sent out a group emailing naming the time and place. Since then, I put out a call for more interested women every time I post about that month’s brunch.

In the future I’m going to try to spread the word beyond blog readers, through use of the online forum for Chicago bicyclists (The Chainlink). I could put out the word to local bike shops, too, have them put up a flyer. But for now the group is a good size.

• lowrah says:

I love your posts about this event. Thanks for the background! I was curious too, Cecily. Maybe Minneapolis needs a similar event…

• Cecily says:

Thanks for the reply, Dottie. I’ve put out a call to see if anyone wants to go on a cupcake ride (starting small). Hopefully I’ll get a few takers. :)

4. E A says:

Hi Dottie, I just updated my post on bikecommuters.com
    with a link back to this post… hopefully even more women will join us. I’ve tracked the evolution of the name of this group — from Bike Goddesses to Ladies Who Bike to Women Who Bike. :-) I think all work… but what happened to the initial “bike goddesses” name?

5. SM says:

Great photos and I love the dress!

6. Traci says:

Looks like a fun time! I love Lionel Shriver! Have you read We Need to Talk about Kevin? Scary, but great book. I haven’t read The Female of the Species yet, but it’s on my list :)

7. ladybug says:

I can’t recommend getting a bike brunch going in other cities enough! Dottie set a very welcoming and fun tone and the brunch is such a good time really. I think that’s the thing with LGRAB and the brunch… most of all riding and hanging out with other ladies who ride is fun.

8. David says:

My girlfriend (she lives around the corner) and I walked past Janet’s Oma that morning on the way to yoga and she said, “I like that bike!”

9. Vee says:

I’ve decided to be done being jealous of yor brunches. I just emailed our Bike Newton leader about this topic. Hopefully I will be organizing one of my own this spring.

10. Maureen says:

I also love your brunches. How wonderful to connect with like minded women. I think that is one of the reason I read (and began my own) bike blogs. I think a sense of community is so important for all!
    P.S. I too adore your dress! So very cool!

11. welshcyclist says:

Hi Dottie,

You’ve done it again, gorgeous and glamorous again!

12. Danielle says:

It was a really nice time, thanks for organizing.

I’ll admit, as a first-timer, I was a little nervous about coming, but there was no need to be. All the women, including you, were incredibly welcoming and fun to get-to-know.

I likely won’t make the next one, with a new little one either here or on the way and all, but it will certainly be on the list for the future. :)

13. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by how i mountain, katelincarter and Nelly Mirikitani, Let's Go Ride a Bike. Let's Go Ride a Bike said: New post: February’s women-who-bike brunch http://bit.ly/gYwwUD [...]

14. I love Ann Sather! The best cinnamon rolls ever and great place for people watching. Everytime I go there I end up listening to a fascinating conversation between strangers at a nearby table.

• Barbara says:

Hi! I’m a biking woman and would like to find out how to bike along and join the fun! Could I please receive a reply back about this? I live in Rogers Park. Thanks!

15. Molly says:

Thanks for such a fun Sunday morning!

@lowrah, if I still lived in Minneapolis, I would totally go to brunch with you. I love biking in Minneapolis! Good lucks starting it up!