Winter Cycling to the Shakespeare Theater

My love for Chicago is largely based on bike-ability and access to culture.  I try to take advantage of these as much as possible and, as a result, my favorite activity is cycling to see a play at the Shakespeare Theater at Navy Pier.  This always makes for a lovely Saturday: 12 miles of bicycling, a stop at the bar for a bourbon, and an imaginative and original Shakespeare production.

On this particular Saturday, going to see As You Like It, the Chicago weather was on my side: a temperature of 32 degrees felt nice in comparison to usual winter temps.  My outfit of jeggings (oh yes, I bought jeggings – and I love them!), long wool sweater, and tall boots kept me warm. I was able to ride along the Lakefront path most of the way, diverting to the inner Lakeshore Drive for the stretch that is not plowed.

It’s a good thing that we love to cycle to Navy Pier because getting there otherwise is a pain. Public transportation to the Pier is not direct, requiring two L trains and a trolley from my place, while parking is at least $25 for a couple of hours (not that I have a car to park).

Navy Pier during the winter has an isolated and slightly Kafkaesque mood that I love.

That’s why I love going to the Shakespeare Theater so much. Not only for the excellent productions, but for the time spent cycling there and back along the car-free Lakefront, as well as the time meandering down the Pier – a combination of my favorite parts of Chicago.

I have a long history of cycling to the Shakespeare Theater, which you can read about in the following posts:

With Jennifer from Scotland
Almost exactly one year ago
Through the rain
Shortly after acquiring Betty Foy
Almost exactly two years ago
One of my first LGRAB posts

Where is your favorite place to cycle?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Winter Cycling to the Shakespeare Theater

1. Aaron says:

I rode bikes to the Navy Pier in November, rode the Ferris Wheel and at burgers at the place with all the pictures of goats and the short menu.

2. Hey, if you look good in jeggings – rock them! Sadly, I am not so lucky : )

Man, I need to get out and see a play…

• Dottie says:

I wouldn’t necessarily say I look good in jeggings, but they are super comfortable and fit well, and lack of comfort and poor fit are the two reasons I usually don’t wear pants. :)

• Samantha says:

Ha! You saw the Po Campo comment about jeggings too I see. Too funny. I bought some but didn’t have the courage to wear mine until this past weekend. I like ‘em. I just did my post about them as my stand for (ew?) jegging-biking-solidarity? And you look great in jeggings Dottie. And since I didn’t look nearly as scary as I thought I would, I think they might be more suitable for more body-types than I originally thought. And they are handy for cycling.

3. Thom says:

Aided by the raw B&W’s, I’m thinking it’s all way beyond “slightly Kafkaesque”. Maybe put a bird on it!

4. E A says:

I’m still itching to get to the Shakespeare theater at Navy Pier… never been. My favorite ride in Chicago? Mmm… anywhere. It’s such a nice escape from the traffic and the need to park. :-)

5. Jennifer says:

This brings back great memories of a lovely day in Chicago. I hope you managed to avoid the drenching this time. ; )

6. Sara says:

I’m really enjoying the pictures! My favorite ride is to the beach in the summertime.

I will have to try the trail again soon. Last time it was in such terrible shape.

7. I am pro-jegging. Good for biking! Yours look great.

8. Simply Bike says:

Yay, this reminds me of the lovely visit I had with you there! I really loved the Navy Pier and the lakefront trail to it. I’m jealous that you get to enjoy that on a regular basis :)

What production did you see? S.

9. Amy says:

Love the photos! Around here, one of my favorite rides is the Greenbelt in Kingsport. It’s a nice place for a leisurely ride, and about the only place around where I can get off the roads and just enjoy the ride.

10. Maureen says:

Hmmmmm…need to reflect on favorite ride. I do want to say (write)though:
    1: Your new bike rocks!
    2: Love the photos, especially the ferris wheel double exposure…
    Hope you enjoyed the play!

11. SM says:

Love the pics and hope you enjoyed the play. The image that popped in my mind immediately upon seeing your photograph of the birds-in black and white-was the Alfred Hitchcock movie, THE BIRDS. I don’t know why, but it struck me as a little eerie at first glance.

12. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Shakespeare Standard, Let's Go Ride a Bike. Let's Go Ride a Bike said: New post: Winter Cycling to the Shakespeare Theater http://bit.ly/hZZShn […]

13. ilike bikes1035 says:

If you’re into both Shakespeare and bikes, you should check out this post I found yesterday: http://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-bikes-blog/2011/10/the-bard-and-the-bike-a-plea-for-tolerance/ – I thought it was pretty funny, but also hit on a lot of important points about cars and bikes…check it out if you get the chance.