San Diego Bike Friends

Trisha and I spent New Year’s together in San Diego, as bridesmaids in our friend Wanda’s wedding. On Sunday, after we fulfilled our obligations, we spent the whole day hanging out with bicycle people, including two of our favorite bloggers, Beany of Brown Girl in the Lane and Eva of Eva.lu.

Beany organized a brunch in the North Park neighborhood with a group of her bike friends and Eva came from quite a distance to be there, too. Everyone was so cool and friendly and the restaurant, El Take It Easy, was a yummy and unique gastro-cantina. [Mole chicken nuggets, delicious taquitos and Truck Stout FTW! —T]

Trisha and Eva

Katie and her bike

Aaron and his bike

Stylish couple: Jay and Katie

El Take It Easy welcomes bikes inside!

Eva: ladylike and on a bike

Unfortunately, the day was dark and rainy. After 3-hour brunch we took a trip to the ocean. [D's suggestion; would have been a nice break between bouts of eating and drinking had we not stumbled upon a fortuitously placed shop that sold ICE CREAM WAFFLE SANDWICHES. Yes, they are as wonderful as you are imagining! T]

Afterward, we had a small dinner at an excellent restaurant, The Linkery. [Which included an awesome cask-conditioned ale on its outstanding beer list. -- T]

No bike riding for us, but great company, conversation and beer made up for it.  :)

You can see my color film photos from our beach walk here. You can read about our previous San Diego trip here.

Tagged , , , , , ,

14 thoughts on “San Diego Bike Friends

1. cycler says:

OMG, Mole Chicken nuggets!!!! I HAVE to make that myself. We made Mole last night, and I haven’t made “chicken croquettes for a while. You made my dinner tomorrow!

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by inspiredinvegas and Maya Kroth, Let's Go Ride a Bike. Let's Go Ride a Bike said: New post: San Diego Bike Friends http://bit.ly/g867xh [...]

3. beany says:

It was such a treat to see you both again and to meet Eva! Maybe this will become a yearly thing, since I think we met first in early 2010…

Too bad we couldn’t ride, but that’s for next time.

Gorgeous photos, as always.

4. Miss Sarah says:

Yay,bike friends! And you got to meet Eva, how excellent. I think she is adorable, and she does the same one-pedaled dismount thing that I do:)

S*

5. Joseph E says:

We lived in North Park and then in Normal Heights (the next neighborhood over) for several years. The Linkery is a great restaurant, and the city should be a great place to ride a bike. Unfortunately, San Diego is even more freeway-oriented than most of Southern California, but things are changing.

• Jason Tinkey says:

I also spent two very long years of my life in SD, and totally agree. Just using a crosswalk is a life-or-death situation.

Way back in 1974, the urbanist Kevin Lynch proposed a radical (for that time) plan for the city that included what we would call complete streets today and regional partnership with Tijuana. It was shelved.

6. Oh, Eva.Lu! I love her blog and style. The black & white shots look perfect on overcast days.

I have yet to experience the West Coast, but maybe some day!

7. eva says:

It was such a pleasure to meet you all down in San Diego. I have to mention that the Squash Empanadas and Pumpkin Soup were to die for! And I’m still dreaming about that waffle ice cream sammie!

Even though the weather wasn’t ideal I still had such a great time hanging out and chatting with you all. :-)

Maybe me and Beany need to plan a Chicago trip…..

8. Aaron says:

I have been using the pic you took as my facebook profile pic. You are great at capturing the moment.

9. Katie says:

Hooray for bike fun in SD! It was great to meet you both (and Eva)! And Dottie, thanks for these great photos. They’re marvelous.

10. how lucky you all got to hang out!

11. Simply Bike says:

Sounds wonderful! Isn’t it great how bike people can just get together and hit it off? ;) Sounds like a great trip. S.

12. wonderful shot. I love B&W photography. For some reason I think everyone looks so elegant in B & W.