What is this, New England?

I cannot count how many times I’ve heard those words over the past week—most recently, this morning, when I strolled into Fiddlecakes through falling snow with ice crunching underfoot in search of a cheddar and bacon scone (totally worth it).

Yesterday I rode to work. It was right around the freezing mark, so not too cold, and the night before the roads had seemed pretty clear. Thinking I wouldn’t be walking, I traded the snow boots I’d been trapped in all weekend for my heeled leather boots. Mistake! Icy, slushy patches had me on foot for about half my commute. Fearing I wouldn’t be able to spot these in the dark, and feeling discretion was the better part of valor, I accepted a ride home with a co-worker. The Bat is currently installed in my office, hoping for clearer streets (and perhaps an earlier departure time) tonight.

More pictures, from a snowy walk to watch my alma mater Auburn win the National Championship at the Melrose on Monday night.

I know other people have had to put their riding on hold because of the weather—let’s hope we get back to our regularly scheduled programming, i.e. less snow, ASAP.

Tagged , , ,

16 thoughts on “What is this, New England?

1. Jason F says:

If it were New England, you’d have over a foot currently. Worcester MA here. After around 20 minutes of shoveling I’ve made it to the street (out the front walk, down the sidewalk, and out the driveway. A bike could make it out the path, but I do not have the tires for a snow covered street.

• Trisha says:

Ha. Yeah, I know you guys have it way worse. Southerners are just babies when it comes to getting around in the white stuff…myself included, despite being born in MN.

2. Gina says:

What kind of Batavus is that?

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by elisa . elisa said: RT @letsgorideabike: New post: What is this, New England? http://bit.ly/fFNMMW [...]

4. Jennie says:

War Eagle!
    Hope the snow clears up for you soon!

5. Amy says:

How much snow did you end up with over there? We got about 6 inches in the mountains. It’s been that way here for nearly a week and it’s STILL snowing. Ugh. One of these days We’ll get to ride again!

• Trisha says:

We only got about 3 inches in my part of town, maybe 3.5. So not horrible, but a lot for this part of the world. It’s supposed to warm up over the weekend, so I have my fingers crossed for clearer streets soon.

6. Jeff says:

Hey! I went to Auburn and live in Nashville too! Go us! Only difference is I am a pansy and haven’t ridden my bike to work since the snow started…

7. SM says:

Yep it’s pretty bad here in New England right now and it’s still going strong since last night. We have about 14 Inches and climbing. The snow drifts on the roof look odd from the blizzard like conditions. Normally it’s flat, smooth, and even.

8. Carolyn I. says:

When we get a lot of snow at one time, and the roads are deep in it, I walk to work and back (or take bus) as even with a mountain bike, it’s hard to bike through several feet of snow. I’m glad it is snowing lightly right now so not much is gathering on ground.
    I must stay that it’s has been great biking more this Winter, and I am finding that it definitely is much warmer biking in the cold then walking or waiting for a bus in it! Thanks for giving me the motivation to do so.

9. Dweendaddy says:

I can’t believe I left my studded tires behind when I moved here from New England! Of my bikes, the box bike is performing the best in the snow, especially when weighed down with two boys upfront. Nashvillains seem to think people
    biking in the winter is funny/cute, like a dog dressed in human clothes or somethIng!

• Trisha says:

I can’t believe I haven’t run in to you on your bike yet! I guess I need a box bike next, if we’re going to keep having winters like this one.

10. Daniel Evans says:

Things get pretty messed up here too when we have snow here in Western Oregon. Most of the drivers do not know how to handle it. I have not had the chance to ride my bike in the snow yet but will give it a (careful:-) try when we finally do get snow.

Despite the disruptions it causes, I do love it when it snows. Gives the kids a break and since we don’t get it too often it feels like a treat (at least to our fam.)

Though it was a tough loss for us Oregonians – Congrats on the Tiger’s championship. You deserve it!

11. kfg says:

We’re having it a bit easy this year, the snow banks aren’t even at head hight yet, so I’ve been able to ride every day without too much trouble.

Bit to the west of me they’ve been known to go out on snow shoes with ten foot poles to probe for where to start digging out the school buses.

If you want to see snow you don’t go to New England, you stand a bit downwind of Lake Ontario; you won’t be able to see anything but snow.