A Very Friendly Bike Commute

Hi there!  We are back and ready for 2011.  :)

My first bike commute of the new year was pretty much perfect.  First, during my absence, all the snow miraculously melted in Chicago.  The temperature has since dropped down to well below freezing, but the roads remain clear and dry.  I celebrated the rare occasion by riding studded-tire-less Betty Foy for the first time in a month.  Vroom-vroom!

Half way to work, I pulled over to change the album on my iPod and blow on my numb fingertips, when Maria of Po Campo rode up next to me on her beautiful Soma mixte.  Our paths soon diverged, but not before I got a picture!

A couple of miles later, Jami of Balloon Biker pulled up next to me in the bike lane and we rode together and chatted the rest of the way in.

Lovely!  Note the skirts, tights and boots that both Maria and Jami are sporting.  That’s how Chicago women do it on a bike in the winter!

Unexpectedly meeting up with two bike friends really brightened my morning.  As a bonus to my already awesome morning, between seeing Maria and Jami, I passed a woman going the other direction who was riding a Dutch bike with flowing hair, carrying a baby on the front and a toddler on the back.  It was so beautiful, I could have wept.  She must be Dutch or something, although I would love to be wrong.  Anyone know a regular Chicago mom who throws down like that?  I was tempted to turn around and catch up with her to snap a picture, but figured that would be weird.  Instead, I offer this supermum representation from Copenhagen Cycle Chic:

Women on bikes are taking over – watch out, Chicago.

Happy new year!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “A Very Friendly Bike Commute

1. I have to say, those Soma mixtes are pretty! And the “mamachari” picture looks like it was taken in a foreign country!

Glad your first 2011 commute went well, and Happy New Year!

2. Jami says:

It’s always good to see other cyclists! One person that I often see if a gentleman with a dutch cargo bike with the wording “7 miles per potato,” Have you seen him?

3. Jennifer says:

I really like those sunnies you’re wearing. Very cool look. Maria’s mixte is gorgeous. I may have to add this bike to my options to consider.

4. Scott says:

The snow melt was great.

The traffic around my office has been very bad in 2011 because of the two-year closure of Wacker Drive South for rebuilding. There have already been some cases of complete intersection-blocking gridlock. I wish the new Wacker Drive would have a place for bicycles, but I think they are going to rebuild it the same as it was before.

5. Martha says:

Three stylish ladies making bike winter look easy. Thanks for sharing!

6. SM says:

That’s awesome! Reminds me of the wonderful lady from Poland whom I met out on the trail recently while riding and the wonderful story she told me about carrying both her children on her bike and with a load of groceries. Women are amazing.

7. Maureen says:

You all look so stylish, you make the cold weather fashionable! Love the scarves!

8. Another happy result of riding a bike to one’s destination – unexpected social time with friends, however brief. We don’t get to do that in a car.

• Maria B. says:

Bumping into friends on the bike lane and chatting with strangers at stoplights is one of my favorite things about biking in the city! Definitely doesn’t happen when you drive and rarely on public trans.

9. Thom says:

Yes! What a fine way to start the day – shared biking enthusiasm before work. As I work at home, I share my morning bike ride with my dog, who’s always ready to go even when I’m looking for an excuse.
    Dottie, I’m surprised you ride on the streets with an ipod. Please be careful!!

10. ladybug says:

Glad to see everyone looking so great. Jami is a huge fave of my small people’s- she’s done up their helmets at critical mass and they wear the ballons for days after. And she does parties! We’ve been out in our cargo bike all week and hear that there are others out too. Thanks for the pics of ladies out. It can get lonely riding with kids winter riding. People are either really positive or…not. Kids love it as long as they are dressed to go!
    Happy winter!

11. Jim says:

re: bottom photo: via Henry Cutler’s photostream it’s not a Dutch bike, but a Mama Chari: http://www.flickr.com/photos/henryinamsterdam/4095068468/
    Jim

12. Krista says:

Resolved…find perfect bike-riding skirt!! All my skirts now are a bit too short…I’d be flashing everyone, even with tights on!

13. [...] cappuccino, watching the morning bicycling traffic on Lincoln Avenue, when suddenly I saw my friend Maria (of Po Campo fame) cycle [...]

14. JTuttle says:

I happened to be at Dutch Bike Chicago one day while another lady customer was talking with Vince. She was talking to him about getting used to the Dutch bike and mentioned taking her two kids around on it. But I didn’t actually get to talk to her at length, or get her name. Perhaps Vince knows the lady you saw.

15. Treesounds says:

Isn’t it sweet when the roads are totally clear in the middle of Jan?! Here in Madison, they were so bad in December, I took many days off.

Now, after the warm and rain, it’s just like riding in the summer! Except for single digit temps/wind chills.

That’s nice to have another bike. I had to swap the the studs with the regular road tires.