Amazing Deal on a Real Dutch Bike

J.C. Lind Bike Co. is a sponsor of LGRAB, but I stumbled upon this deal myself on Groupon.  If you’ve been considering buying a Dutch bike, check it out:  you can buy a Gouden Leeuw Oma for only $499 from J.C. Lind!

Oma from J.C. Lind Bike Co.

The regular value is $900.  This is not some cheap look-alike, this is a high quality traditional Dutch bike, single speed with coaster brakes, LED lights, skirt guard, chain guard, kick stand, fenders, integrated Abus wheel lock, Schwalbe tires, rack and bell.  The bike will be ordered from Holland and delivered in 10-12 weeks.

Here is the link to the Groupon.  The offer lasts for 3 more days and at least 10 people have to buy.  If you have questions, I recommend contacting Jon – he is super friendly and really stands behind his products.

Update: Looks like 10 have already sold, so the deal is definitely on.  The deal could sell out before the 3 days is up – I don’t know what the max quantity is, but that’s something to keep in mind if you’re considering it.

30 thoughts on “Amazing Deal on a Real Dutch Bike

1. Joseph E says:

Actually, Flying Pigeon LA has the Fryslan on sale for $850. That’s a nice deal, if you live in Southern California:

2. Lynnety says:

This post reminded me to write up the Kona Africabike Three. A great bike at a great price that supports a great cause.

3. Amsterdamize says:

The advertised ‘regular price’ of $900 sounds a ‘bit’ high. This Gouden Leeuw (Golden Lion) omafiets is quite a generic granny bike, not of any particularly high quality other than it’s the same as any other run-of-the-mill low-priced omafiets. Same bike, different brand name and maybe some different add-ons.

Anyhoo, it’s base retail price in the Netherlands is 325 euros, about $430, but within 1 min I found cheaper offers, as low as 275 euros, or $365.

So yes, considering it’s being imported, $499 is a good price. It’s just the $900 that’s really inflated. Bikes like the Gouden Leeuw quickly find their way into the 2nd hand market, you’d be lucky to get 100 euro when you sell it after a year. But that’s the Dutch market, a whole other story :).

For reference: the Batavus Old Dutch is of a bit more quality than the Gouden Leeuw, but neither come even close to something like a Fryslan.

• Dottie says:

Thanks for the information! Interesting to hear how this particular brand is perceived in the Netherlands.

As you mentioned, the market in the U.S. is very different. Plenty of European people have scoffed at me for paying $1600 for my Dutch bike, noting that those bikes are all over the Netherlands for cheap. But that kind of talk is not helpful to an American, especially one who is not interested in working out the details of importing her own Dutch bike. In the American market $900 for a solid bike like the Oma is not inflated.

• Amsterdamize says:

There’s an ‘Oma’ and there’s an ‘Oma’, yours is in a totally different league. Sort of like comparing Target to Dutch Bike Chicago :). Btw, your bike isn’t exactly considered cheap in NL either.
        Didn’t mean to play it down, just saying that even as a ‘from-for’ proposition, $900 is exaggerated.

Frits, your opinion is as good as mine, trust me ;)

• Samantha says:

“There’s an ‘Oma’ and there’s an ‘Oma’, yours is in a totally different league. Sort of like comparing Target to Dutch Bike Chicago :) . Btw, your bike isn’t exactly considered cheap in NL either.”

I do believe that to be true! I do love our WorkCycles Oma. Thanks all you guys for the feedback on this bike. I found the website this am, but alas, my Dutch skills are pretty much non-existent, family heritage notwithstanding.

And yes.. let’s try and get something scheduled after Christmas!

4. Frits B says:

Gouden Leeuw = Golden Lion is a private brand of a Dutch bicycle dealer:
    Louis Verwimp B.V.
    De Vest 21
    5555 XL Valkenswaard
    Sounds very Chinese to me – which is not to say that these are poor quality bikes. I just don’t know; over here they are priced at about half those of the established brands like Gazelle and Batavus.

• Frits B says:

I see amsterdamize has already commented with much more authority than I could ever muster :-). And I fully agree!

5. Jim says:

Re: conversion to 3+ speeds; remember, brakes must be added to the cost equation.

• dukiebiddle says:

You replace the single speed hub with coaster brake with a three speed hub with coaster brake, which retails for about $70. No addition to the cost equation.

6. I think that for the US market it is still a good deal. Can’t be any worse than the Batavus Old Dutch I tried a while ago.
    But I agree with Jim above that a 3+ speed conversion would also require the installation of a front brake and brake lever, which the bike does not currently have. Might not be cost-effective, unless you already have the parts lying around.

• dukiebiddle says:

You would need that for it to be technically legally compliant, but not for it to be any more capable of stopping than it already is prior to such a conversion. It should also be pointed out that is of equal stopping power to the Batavus Bub

7. Bill says:

For what it is worth I ride a Trek FX 7.9 which I paid $2,600 for and that is not cheap but you can easily spend $6,000 on a Trek Madone.

I would like a bike like Dottie’s and spoke to the actual shop and they said it is a bit of work to get the rear wheel off. I think I will order one like I want it and learn as I go about maintenance.

Interesting, my Trek is all Carbon Fiber the lightest bike there is, now I want a heavy one. Those Dutch are going to think Americans are odd, no?

• Aaron says:

How about a carbon fiber Dutch-style bike? Impress your Dutch-bike riding friends when you pick it up with one hand.

• Jeff says:

The VanMoof that Jon Lind sells is kind of like that…not carbon fiber (just aluminum), but a simple fat-tire city bike that is also pretty light. I use one as a fast beater for around town, and love it. Nothing like as tough as a Workcycles Oma, but decent quality and easy to carry up and down stairs in an apartment building!

• Dottie says:

I see a Vamoof parked out by State and Lake a lot. I wonder if that’s yours.

• Jaclyn says:

Jeff, since you mentioned “fast,” would you consider the Vanmoof a good bike for somewhat long-ish distances? I’m looking for a bike that’s lighter and good for distances of 8-12 miles as a supplement to my heavy omafiet.