December’s women-who-bike brunch

Samantha, Kate, Megan, Martha, Lauren, Sara, Sarah

Eight women braved the streets after Saturday’s snow storm and rode to the second women-who-bike brunch at Handlebar in Wicker Park. After brunch we headed en masse to the Renegade Holiday Craft Fair, where we bumped into a couple of women separately who were familiar with the brunch event (Megan and Kristine, hope to see you next time).

How does one dress for winter cycling in Chicago? With style!

Megan

Sarah and Lauren

Samantha

Kate and Sara

Martha

The group was a mix of experienced and new winter riders. While the temperature has not dropped to wintry depths yet, if anyone road a bike this weekend in Chicago, that person now knows what winter riding is like.

One of the attendees, Lauren, said, “I think I have officially convinced myself that winter biking isn’t all that bad — especially when a delightful brunch is the destination.” That’s what I like to hear!

Chicago snow

The next brunch will be Sunday, January 9, and thereafter on the first Sunday of the month. If you would like to be included, email LGRAB [at] letsgorideabike [dot] com. If you’re not in Chicago, considering organizing a get-together in your town.

p.s. Don’t forget to check out Bike Fancy, the new Chicago fashionable cycling blog. Martha, the photographer, is part of the brunch crew and some attendees may be showing up there in the future.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “December’s women-who-bike brunch

1. Miss Sarah says:

You all look great! Good for you guys for getting out there. I’m planning the same tonight but have just read the forecast is -18C/0F.

Um… we’ll see:)

S*

2. Janet says:

Yay, you gals! My husband and I went out on our bikes to dinner last night in the 0 temps. It wasn’t so bad, like Lauren said. It’s all about the gear.

3. martha says:

I had so much fun at the brunch. Did anyone score cute stuff at the Craft sale after?

4. Krissy says:

i’m sorry i missed – but i’m planning for january!

5. LC says:

You ladies looked amazing! And kudos for braving those temperatures + snow!

6. velojoy says:

When I lived in Chicago, I complained about the winters. But viewing your recent posts with photos of familiar sights in the snow makes me feel nostalgic. I love your brunch idea — what a nice way to encourage community around a biking.

7. Lauren says:

It was so nice to meet you all! I was inspired to ride in the cold again this morning.
    Thank you for giving me a good excuse to get on my bike again.

8. Sara says:

I had so much fun, everyone! Looking forward to next month already.

@Martha – I bought a necklace with small silver charms from a darling vendor from Kansas. Had my eyes on a purse but had to limit myself to one item, unfortunately!

9. Maureen says:

You all are courageous to brave the chilly weather and snow! Glad everyone had fun…and while I know this blog is basically about cycling…How was the craft fair? I’ve been to two Renegade Craft Fairs here in NY, and loved them!

10. SM says:

The Handlebar Bar & Grill sounds and looks pretty cool. How fun that you had a place to brunch with a bike theme.

11. leif says:

I WANT MARTHA’S BOOTS!!! I have been thinking about a good pair of long winter boots to wear on my bike in Cincinnati. Where can i get a pair? :)