Walking in a winter wonderland

Yesterday a few inches of snow fell in Chicago. My friend Elizabeth and I headed out to enjoy the winter wonderland and take some pictures (I used my new 50-year-old camera). Although we’re both year-round cyclists, we didn’t feel comfortable riding with the falling snow, so we hopped a bus to Lincoln Park and then walked around for an hour. A cozy underground pub and some Guinness warmed us up when we’d had enough.

Afterward, we went separate ways and I headed downtown to drop off my film for developing. I could have taken the bus, but the snowy night was so pretty, I chose to walk an hour to my destination. Then I took the L train home, but got off early to walk the final mile. Walking is such a great activity and I’m lucky to have so many transportation options in Chicago.

Now I gotta get those studded tires back on Oma!

Tagged , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Walking in a winter wonderland

1. wow! how beautiful. I can’t imagine what it would be like to live where it snows so much.

Secret Service Gal says “hi” to Oma.

duckie xx

2. Red berries in the snow, my favourite : )

How does the Oma feel with vs without the studded tires in the winter?

• Dottie says:

The pavement on the main streets today was dry, so no different without my studs, but a little more stressful on the side streets, paranoid as I am about ice. I can’t ride on ice without my studded tires – I’ve tried and I’ve fallen a couple of years ago. :) The studs don’t slow me down or create noticeable rolling resistance; the only downside is the loud crackling noise they make on the pavement.

3. meligrosa says:

that is so beautiful!! thanks for sharing these winter fotos with us, the spoiled=weather bunch in the west coast, we don’t really get the 4seasons out here
    sends us the much snowy love. hugs always from SF <3 xxomeli

4. Nicolas says:

too bad! riding in frsh snow is THE BEST.

5. Lynnety says:

You certainly are lucky to have so many transportation options!

6. annladson says:

What amazing photos. Saw your “new” camera on your photography blog. It’s gorgeous, and the pictures are really nice.

7. Michael says:

As a Southern California native, who has never experienced that on a regular basis, that just looks so awesome.

8. SM says:

I can’t believe how much snow you have already. We are due to get some snow this week. Winter in Chicago looks beautiful through the eyes of your lens.

9. Clare says:

Wasn’t it SO pretty here in Chi-town this weekend? I just loved getting out to the lake, watching the snow, and basking in the cold sunshine today. I love these snowy city pictures!

10. LC says:

wow! When the snow arrives in Chicago is ‘serious’ snow :) Manchester’s snow has thawed but then last night temperatures dropped to -11 (celsius) and iced over… I don’t want to be a hero just to prove I can cycle in winter, icy roads are too scary for me… so I think I’ll catch the bus!

Do you feel precious about the Rollei? Because mine is my dad’s I sometimes am so worried about dropping or something bad happening to it, I end up not using it very much (plus expensive to develop film as I mentioned on your other blog)… still your photos really make me want to take it out of its case :D

11. Gin says:

I was pulling Miguel’s trailer in the snow this weekend–not bad, except on the side streets. For now, we will be on the main thoroughfares.

I totally agree with you about having so many transportation choices. People often think not having a car means you are limited. Actually, I feel I have so many choices. Also, being used to winter biking makes it easier for me to just enjoy being outside in the winter.

Congrats on the camera. Lovely photos!

12. E A says:

I enjoyed all of the Chicago weather this weekend — off the bike. Being on foot made it so much easier to just stop whenever and snap a photo or two. Great photos!

13. Stephanie says:

great shots! the snow in chicago this weekend was so pretty! i love going for snow walks as well. i find myself getting off two or three stops before my intended stop on the L just so i can enjoy the cold and the snow. some of my friends think i’m crazy, but i love it!

14. Maureen says:

Your photos truly capture the magic and beauty of the new fallen snow, thanks for sharing them!

15. Daniel Evans says:

I know many don’t look at it this way but you are so LUCKY to live where it snows. I wish we got more here in Salem, OR where we live. It just makes everything so beautiful. For now I will just have to enjoy our rain I guess. Enjoy your winter wonderland! btw, I always enjoy your pictures. They are lovely.