Women in Motion

Streetsfilms created this wonderful short film, Women in Motion: New Lady Riders Reflect on NYC Cycling. The film highlights women who started riding their bikes only recently, inspired by the new infrastructure and growing number of other everyday cyclists.

Meanwhile, Steven Can Plan highlights numbers showing that the frequency of Chicago women riding their bikes to work is down this year.

Trisha and I have been bicycling for 2.5 years now. I suppose we’re slowly but surely becoming members of the old guard, but our message remains the same: anyone can start bicycling for transportation right now, even if they have never done it before. And the goal of sharing our experiences is to encourage more women to start and continue to ride bikes.

We bloggers can’t do this alone. As the news above from NYC and Chicago shows, safe bicycle infrastructure is a major factor in whether people will ride their bikes. If you agree, make sure to contact your government representatives and let them know how important bicycle infrastructure is to you!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

11 thoughts on “Women in Motion

1. neighbourtease says:

Wow, that video was so refreshingly NORMAL.

2. cb says:

this is great! i would LOVE to see more women in my area ride! it is becoming an increasing trend thought that more women are riding so i am hopeful! my husband and i are trying to open a bike shop in our area and one of my main focuses is targeting younger women to get out and ride. we live in a great area where riding is fun but people just end up driving every where out of convenience…a shame really!

xo,
    cb

3. kim says:

wow! thank you for posting this video… and thank you for starting this blog! i live in new york city and just bought my first bike. i have learned so much from you ladies. you’ve really boosted my cycling confidence and soon i’ll start commuting to work (which will be a 4.5 mile trip over the brooklyn bridge). i can’t wait!

• Dottie says:

I love hearing stuff like this! Good luck with your new work commute. I’ve heard from some that the ride over the Brooklyn Bridge is one of the best (minus the tourists).

4. Lynnety says:

I accidentally started riding to work last July. I had moved close enough to walk and planned to walk. I walked the first three days. On the fourth, I had a lunch to get to a mile away so I had to ride my bicycle. I have ridden EVERY day since. I did not mean to become a bicycle commuter. And it took weeks for me to start figuring out how to do the shopping and other errands.

5. Maureen says:

I love this video!

6. Step-Through says:

The ACS data had lots of interesting stuff for biking rates (downtown Atlanta up to 2.5% mode share, more than doubling of cycling rates in the city of Atlanta). But when you look at the margin of error, there is a lot of room for inaccuracy… for instance they estimated 1,800 bicycle commuters in the downtown area, but the margin of error was +/- 1,799. Seriously! I’m an optimist, so I like to believe that it’s increasing. But it seems like all the women have disappeared from Atlanta streets, at least for the winter.

7. I love this video. The young woman who spoke about conquering her fears really says so much about how empowering cycling as a form of transportation can be. The ease, the efficiency, exercise built into one’s day, and the economy of bicycling are also strong arguments. I also liked seeing so many women of color in this video, as well the the effort to get urban children on their bikes, which is an invaluable opportunity to expand their worlds. Wonderful! Bravo!

8. [...] Women in Motion is a post from Let's Go Ride a Bike and is only authorized to appear in our personal RSS feed. For more LGRAB, follow us on twitter or watch our YouTube channel. [...]

9. Lisa says:

I love this short film. So many people are so extreme in Denver that it can be intimidating to be a normal rider. This blog and film makes me feel like I’m cool riding in my work clothes to work and to the grocery. Thank you so much!