Nothin’ lasts forever, even cold November rain

Oh yes, I’m pulling out the Guns ‘N Roses. This is my last chance to use the reference for a year, since tomorrow is the last day of November.

Today’s rain led me to take the Lakefront Trail. Even though the route adds another 15 rainy minutes to my commute, riding among cars in the rain frays my nerves. On the bike path I don’t mind the rain at all, especially when there’s a tail wind.

As usual, wool and boots kept me toasty warm. These super windy pictures are actually from the rainy day last week. The bike was different, but the outfit was pretty much the same.

Anyone else care for an ’80’s MTV flashback? Gosh, I loved this video as a wee lass.

And so, as I roll through the wet, cold weather, I remember that nothin’ lasts forever, even cold November rain.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Nothin’ lasts forever, even cold November rain

1. Amy says:

Wow, that video makes me feel old! And… that song is now officially stuck in my head. :)

2. Daniel Evans says:

This is my first winter bike commuting in the US and I have to say that I love the rain! We get LOTS of it here in Oregon, but I have good equipment to deal with it. I use a rain poncho (a Carradice cape) instead of a jacket and layer underneath so I arrive at my destinations dry and not overheated or sweaty.

It’s fun to be out there in the rain!

3. nicolas says:

It’s too cold for rain to fall here, I’m thankful and invigorated.

• cycler says:

That isn’t your patagonia trench is it?
      I’ve been trying to decide whether to buy one of those, or to hold out for one of the Brooks rain capes supposedly due in the spring.

• Maureen says:

Wow, I cannot believe how rough those waves look, I guess weather like this is why Chicago is aka the windy city. Wishing you dry weather and more tailwinds!

4. I couldn’t stop myself from the GNR reference this month either : ))

• Oh and I remember watching the video when I was a teenager and thinking “What rain are they talking about, they are in California!” Also, did the video imply that she died from a cold, caught in the rain?.. I never quite got this.

• Dave says:

I don’t remember this video much from “back then” as we didn’t have cable TV, but I definitely knew the song :)

I also always liked GnR’s version of “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door”, and of course there’s the good old “Paradise City”. Maybe I’ll have to find an excuse to use that one in a post about Portland :D

• Dottie says:

Ha, good question. I was too distracted by her mini-wedding dress to consider the specifics of her untimely death.

• Dave says:

Heh, November rain doesn’t last forever, because it turns into December rain, then January rain, then February rain, then March rain…. :)

I rode to work this morning in about 35 degree weather, with medium rainfall. 40 minutes to work and I was totally dry under my wool coat, scarf and cap.

I think something people don’t realize about natural materials, is that they absorb *a lot* of water, so you don’t end up getting wet underneath them. I have cotton canvas panniers, untreated, and I leave them out in the dumping rain for the entire day, and they are still dry on the inside when I leave work, because they absorb all the water.

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of the cold rain, but I also don’t really mind that much. To me, 30 minutes in the rain, to come to work or home to a hot cup of coffee or tea is way better than sitting on a crowded bus in traffic for an hour.

Those shots of the water are great – so dramatic with the waves (and I can imagine how “wonderful” the wind feels) :)

5. Looks like you passed up a great opportunity to catch a wave. But then this would be a surfin blog.

• Petra says:

Hi there, I live in England and cycle to work most days. I’m certainly not a member of the lycra brigade and would love to bike to work in ordinary clothes but I find it totally impractical and wonder how you manage in rain with a wool coat or a raincoat suitable for the office. I could not survive without my Paramo and Paclite jackets! I’m not sure how long your commute is, so this may be a factor. Anyway, do tell and can I just say how enjoyable LGRAB is. I read it most days! I have a Mercian mixte and a Dawes bike for everyday. I love your Betty Foy and wish we had a stockist here! Happy cycling!

6. Janet says:

Today I chickened out of taking my bike. Not because of the cold, but because of the wind. I don’t care about the cold, it’s the wind that gets to me. I regretted it, though. I missed my bike today.

7. Glocal Girl says:

Beautiful photos!!! I biked thru the snow yesterday and it ended quite badly. Note to self: must have a stronger bike to battle snowstorms in Northern Europe, haha. I envy your picturesque trail route in the rain.

x,
    Glocal Girl

8. Larry Powers says:

When I road in this morning the roads were wet but it wasn’t raining with 57 degrees and a light tail wind. By this afternoon the high wind and heavy rain that you just got should be rolling through Hartford. I mind it much less going home since a warm shower and a comfy chair are waiting for me.

I am hearing snow in the forecast for next week, time to put the studded tires on.

Stay safe, dry and warm.

9. Scott says:

Nice @ GnR! I remember the iron grip this music video had on the #1 spot on the MTV video countdown for so many months (at least that’s how long it seemed).

In view of the many complaining comments I have posted here about Chicago motorists, I think I should say that today a driver saw a construction trailer blocking the bike lane, and held back to let me go first. It was so nice to interact with a considerate driver, and I tipped my cap to him accordingly.

10. LC says:

I don’t know why, but I love light-leaks in manual SLR =) We had snow here! I can’t believe it arrived before Chicago! Although it’ll probably turn to mush quite soon ;)

11. Best blog post title EVER!

P.S. I sang this at a house party last Saturday. Classic.