Women-who-bike brunch

My inaugural women-who-bike brunch took place on Sunday. The focus was on enjoying good food and even better company, while bikes took a backseat as a tool for transportation and for connecting us all in the first place. To this end, a dozen awesome women rode their bikes without ceremony, in their regular clothes, and proceeded to chat for three fun hours. Here is but a sampling of the awesomeness that ensued.

Women who bike - photo by Martha Williams

Rebecca! of Active Trans

Emily! of Po Campo

Samantha! of Ding Ding Let's Ride

Martha! of Bike Fancy

Janet and Patty

The group checks out Po Campo prototypes

Me - photo taken by Martha Williams with my film camera

Are you a woman in the Chicago area who would like to join us in the future? Email me at LGRAB [at] letsgorideabike [dot] com. If you’ve sent me your email before but did not get the message about the brunch, please re-send. I might have indadvertedly left some people out.

I must sound like a broken record but women who bike are pretty much without fail smart, fun and cool. :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Women-who-bike brunch

1. donna says:

Loving the bling you’re wearing Dottie.

2. Dave says:

Hey, you found someone who can operate your film camera! :)

3. Trisha says:

Looks like fun!

4. seejenbike says:

Love your outfit Dottie! I can’t think of a better combo then bikes + brunch!

5. Simply Bike says:

I’m with Donna – LOVE the bike necklace :) What a stylish bunch you got together there, looks like it was a blast.

6. Looks like a fun group — wish I was in Chicago so I could join. Maybe sometime when I’m visiting . . . .

7. Gina says:

Awesome! I should start a ladies-who-lunch-bike ride too. Did you know they sale 200 speed Kodak film at the .99 Cent store?

8. Totally irrelevant to the event itself, but! –

Is Emily using one of the Po Campo bags as a rear pannier? Is it a new model, or can they all be used as panniers?

And that basket on Janet’s (or Patty’s?) bike is phenomenal!

9. Janet says:

It was a really fun morning. Thanks for organizing it Dottie. BTW, the basket is mine, It’s actually a dog basket I bought in Paris (for carting around those little white poodles). Works great as a regular basket.

10. SM says:

Biking and Brunching – how fun. You all look wonderful and what an interesting variety in bikes and accessories. Fun to see what everyone else is riding.

11. Krista says:

ooohh how did I not know about this? my gazelle needs friends! http://bit.ly/bvKecy

lovely photos! i will have to buy some proper outfits though in order to look as sensational as you all!

12. beany says:

I am sooo terribly envious that I don’t live in Chicago. Boy do I wish I was there now.

I’m still quite angry at my efforts to get a women’s ride going here in San Diego and failing. Or maybe it hasn’t failed, but I’ve given up for now. For one, the dudes always wanted to ride the women’s ride. Then a lawyer got involved stating that bike shops couldn’t promote a women’s only ride due to some weird law because a women’s only thing is discriminatory toward men. And then the discussion turned into something where the guys wanted to get their SO’s to ride. Maybe I was asking too much in wanting women to take an initiative and show up for a ride…dunno.

Hmmm…maybe I’ll give it another go. I’ll report what happens on my blog. You’ve inspired me again.

13. Martha says:

Ladies, brunch was fun! Can’t wait to do it again in the future.

14. Sara says:

That looks like so much fun! I’m in Chicago and I’d love to join in on your next brunch! Most of my friends do not ride bikes and if they do it’s strictly during warm weather months :(
    sbrammeier at gmail dot com Thanks!!

15. Krissy says:

i’d love to have some biking gal friends too! (i thought i commented already, but didn’t see it.) since i started riding this summer, i’m addicted.

16. maureen says:

Oh you all look so happy! What a wonderful idea! And I also love your bike bling Dottie! So cool! I haven’t ridden yet since my face encountered the boardwalk (still under a dr’s care for my eyesocket), but this would inspire me to do so if I lived in Chicago! And I’m glad to see I’m not the only one checking out the baskets and bags that people use!

17. [...] Emily, one of the founders of one of our brands, Po Campo, as shot by Let’s Go Ride a Bike. [...]

18. [...] community in a new town or city? I’d love to find a group of girls to ride with (a la the brunching women at LGRAB or Miss Sarah’s Critical Lass), but my early attempts at finding such a community on-line [...]

19. Anne says:

Thanks for organizing this, Dottie. It was a lot of fun and I wish I could have stayed longer!