Final Outdoor Farmer’s Market Trip

October is drawing to a close far too quickly and today was the last outdoor farmer’s market of the season. Luckily, Chicago’s Green City Market continues year-round indoors. Still, I will miss spending time outside in the fresh air of Lincoln Park. This is my last hurrah post with pictures I took using my vintage film camera.

After the market, I met up with Melissa and Chanh for the somewhat lackluster Rally to Restore Sanity (the main event was in D.C.). Afterward, we went to lunch. They were dressed up for Halloween as a redneck and a hippie. The waitress, after remarking on their costumes, turned to me and said, “I know who you are. From the Wizard of Oz. You’re Dorothy.” Hmm, I thought, this is actually how I dress everyday (in my new thrifted outfit). Aloud I said, “Yes, I am Dorothy.” A true statement, but not in the way she understood it. :)

And now, In Memorium: Summer 2010 Farmer’s Market.

Bicycling to the Farmer’s Market
Simple Pleasures
Farmer’s Market by Bike
Farmer’s Market on Film

How are you spending the last weekend of October?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “Final Outdoor Farmer’s Market Trip

1. Amy says:

I’ve been getting the Elmira Gulch/ Wicked Witch theme from co-workers all week. Just b/c I’m the only one on a bike. :/

2. Traci says:

That’s hilarious that the waitress thought you were Dorothy – and even more so that it was true! I suppose she assumed that you had to be in costume since the people you were with were :)

3. Annalisa says:

Sounds like a great day. I, too, am sad about the end of the farmer’s markets for the season.

Tomorrow we are going on a Halloween bike ride, in costume! It’s a bit like a critical mass event. Last time I rode it, 2 years ago, there were almost 200 riders, including a guy pulling a trailer with speakers, so we had lots of Halloween music all night long. Feels like a good way to wrap-up October.

4. The Farmer’s Market is a perfect bicycling destination, one that I make pretty regularly during the summer. I love filling up our panniers with locally produced cheese, bread, beef and vegetables. I also enjoy seeing all the bike dates and family bike outings at the community market.

I wish I could have gone to the Rally to Restore Sanity. We in Arizona definitely sanity restored here. Yikes!

5. Sigrid says:

this gave me a chuckle. indeed, you are Dorothy and there was a wind that nearly could have swept you away the other day…

6. E A says:

What a great weekend to wrap-up fall and the farmers market outside.

Awesome photos!

Riding my new Little Red Bike – with the more upright position – and seeing all the Halloween-y ambience around, I was humming the wicked witch music all the way. ;-) So was Mr. D – only later did he tell me that he’d just posted to his blog about the same thing – http://www.pedalexistence.com/2010/10/may-wind-be-at-your-back.html

:-) Happy Halloween! :-)

7. Simply Bike says:

Wow, Dottie, these pictures are beautiful! I love the colors and the somewhat faded look to them. I enjoyed this last weekend in October with the beautiful weather we’ve been having by going for a run with my dog :)

S.

8. Anne Hawley says:

The Wicked Witch/Elmira Gulch music is my ringtone! I don’t look a thing like Dorothy, but I do resemble the mean lady biking furiously across the landscape–especially because I ride a Dutch bike.

You, on the other hand, Dottie, do resemble Dorothy Gale a tiny bit because of the pretty blue dress.

Your photos are so autumnal and lovely.

9. Steve Weber says:

Enjoying this unseasonably mild weather we are experiencing here in the midwest. Just got my road bike back from the bike shop for its annual tune-up and took it out for a 25 miler this morning. Glad you had a good day at the Farmers Market. Loving your posts and pictures, you have a good eye for photography!! Keep up the inspiration :)

10. Liz says:

your pictures are so beyond gorgeous! I’m loving fall, but you’re making me miss summer!!