Blue Chicago

While bright oranges, reds and yellows get all the attention in the fall, smooth Chicago blues should not be overlooked.  Something about the crisp autumn air makes Lake Michigan seem very still and peaceful, while the early-setting sun casts my long shadow on the empty beaches.

Ah, can you almost feel the fresh air?  Riding my bike along the lakefront sure makes city living more enjoyable.

The picture below is the first I took today.  When I got home and reviewed all of my pictures together, I noticed a theme.  Not only the color blue, but look – the guitarist has a shadow.

Aside from admiring the water and chasing my shadow, I encountered a couple of people on my way home. A guy cycling by me said, “You win best-dressed.”  Not that I was trying or that being the best-dressed person on a bicycle is hard, but thanks.  :)  Skirt suit – purchased three years ago at Target on clearance for $20.

I also ran into John Greenfield, the guy we’ve organized our cocktails rides with in the past.  You should definitely check out John’s excellent writing at Vote with Your Feet and his book about drinking and biking from coast to coast, Bars Across America.

What colors, changes and people are you encountering on your rides?

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “Blue Chicago

1. Stephen says:

Always inspiring, Dottie. I really love downtown Chicago.

The weather way down here in Tallahassee has finally cooled. It’s been very dry, so our leaves are only beginning to turn. This morning I rode in with my new next-door neighbor, a recently divorced man who is delighted to be living in Mid-town and within bicycling distance of the university where he works (my office building is a block away). I think I would have won the best-dressed bicycle commuter award–it was 52 degrees, and I wore a black and white checkered wool scarf underneath my black wool sports coat and a pair of black leather gloves to match my black leather dress shoes (Ecco, which are great for bicycling). Although chilly on a bicycle for a Floridian, the weather was perfect, and it was great to have a companion on what is normally a solo ride.

We have another six to seven months of really good bicycling weather here before the summer heat kicks back in. I’m seeing more and more bicycle commuters every day (if you see one and tomorrow there’s two, that’s a 100 percent increase!), and more commuters on real commuting bicycles. Change is slow, like the seasons, but it’s happening.

2. Dave says:

My morning commute every day involves a long stretch along the river in Downtown Portland, and I also love the subdued colors in the morning, just before the sun comes up – the quiet, peaceful water, a few birds here and there, sometimes crew teams out training in the river, and the beginnings of color just starting to fizzle on the horizon. It’s one of my favorite things about autumn (I have so many favorite things about autumn).

Beautiful photos.

3. Kara says:

$20?! Love that Target. The first thing I thought when I saw the first picture was “Lovely suit!” The picture series is lovely.

Yesterday, I was leaving work and someone said to me, you are the chic-est cyclist I know. It definitely put a smile on my face.

4. Miss Sarah says:

Brown. Brown leaves, streets, trees, shoes, and uh… Raffaella is “brown” too (quarter black, quarter Chinese, half Italian)

5. Scott says:

Ah, the Oma shadow — that’s a familiar one to me.

John’s book is great, I picked up a copy at Boulevard Bikes. Speaking of, isn’t it time for another LGRAB cocktail ride?

6. maureen says:

I do think you look very elegantly dressed (may have cost $20, but looks fabulous), and as for the theme, some people say there is no such thing as coincidence. Great photos, thanks for sharing!

7. Miss Dottie, your suit is perfect for the Oma! It’s like they were made for one another.