A Perfect Weekend

The weather this weekend was perfect – nearly 80 degrees with blue skies – made extra special by the knowledge that another such weekend probably won’t come around again until May.  I’m proud to say that I enjoyed the weekend to the fullest, especially since it conveniently coincided with my birthday and Trisha’s visit.

The weekend in a nutshell.  Friday started with a drooling-just-thinking-about-it lunch at Rick Bayless’s XOCO, the best sandwich shop ever.  After eating, we moved on to the Chicago Country Musical Festival (Gretchen Wilson) and then the Siskel Film Center to see Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (Marilyn Monroe).

On Saturday, we rode bikes along the Lakefront Trail to downtown, where we met up with Melissa.

All together we took an architectural boat tour of the Chicago river , enjoying the views and warm sun.

Melissa was attacked by a giant Lego lion on Michigan Avenue, but managed to escape in time for a bike photo op.

At night there was a small rooftop party with a lot of champagne, gin and chartreuse.  My friend’s awesome daughter decorated this pumpkin for me.

Eventually I woke up on Sunday for an autumn-colored ride to the Andersonville neighborhood and fortified myself with gelato from a gorgeous Italian bakery, while more motivated people like Melissa’s fiance Chanh ran the Chicago marathon.

A delicious and decadent French dinner, followed by a long bike ride home, wrapped everything up.  Sadly, Trisha has now returned to Nashville – Chicago misses her already.

I feel very lucky for the beautiful weather, bicycle rides and wonderful friends.  Here’s to all that!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

7 thoughts on “A Perfect Weekend

1. NancyB says:

It was a great weekend made even better by some of us having Monday off. I too got some riding in and a little bit of culture at the North Park Art Walk followed up by some delicious vegetarian fare over on Devon Ave. And, because my kids are off school today, I was able to ride in to work. The ride this morning was like a little extra vacation.
    Have a great week!

2. Annie says:

I also went to XOCO with some friends on Friday! Though it was for dinner. And agreed, that place is drool worthy just thinking about it… mmmmmm carnitas sandwiches in a delicious spicy tomato broth…. ah and don’t even get me started on those churros! And the hot chocolate!

I can go on and on…

3. Miss Sarah says:

Happy Birthday! Sounds like an AMAZING weekend:) The architecture boat tour is so fun, and it’s nice to see Oma with her saddle all the way down again:)

Over here we worked, slept very little, and Don is trying to recover from a horrible cold. Oh, and Dexter just barfed up his breakfast because he ate a bunch of toothpaste this morning without me knowing. The good news is that it was minty. That’s also totally disgusting.

So yes… your birthday? Definitely awesome:)

S*

4. All three of you ladies are wearing beautiful dresses; when you cycle together it must be quite a sight!

And I think it’s cute that the Oma’s handlebars almost come up to Trisha’s neck – I am impressed that you are able to ride it, Trisha!

5. Kara says:

Food, bike rides, friends…yup, sounds like a perfect weekend to me.

6. Trisha says:

Yay! It was a great time.

7. Jennifer in Scotland says:

That sounds a wonderful weekend’s activities. I’m so glad the weather was good and you got to leave the ear warmers at home. That sandwich shop sounds the best. I’ll add to it to my long list of yummy Chicago eateries to visit next time.