Commuting to the Courthouse

This past week I rode my bike to work every day, as usual.

Yesterday I had a court hearing in the morning and I wore my professional outfit on the bike commute – a Brooks Brothers skirt, blouse, hose and shoes. As soon as I got to my office, I threw on the matching suit jacket that was waiting for me and walked one mile to the courthouse.

Thank goodness for the perfectly cool fall weather that made all of this possible without sweating. Also, major props to my new Liz Clairborne shoes from DSW. They are super comfortable for walking (I wore them every day in France), have no-slip rubber soles for biking and still look decent enough for work.

Nothing hip or especially fashionable here, just a real outfit on a real bike commute. :)

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

14 thoughts on “Commuting to the Courthouse

1. Maggie says:

Yay! I think Fall is the best time of year. We’re so tired of being hot and sweaty, it makes you just appreciate being able to wear normal clothes again!

2. dukiebiddle says:

Re: dress shoes every day in Paris. If you were representing us Americans properly you would have been wearing running shoes, cargo shorts and a fanny pack. Well, good job embarrassing us, Dottie. :(*

*;)

• meligrosa says:

ah simply and elegant as usual dottie
      love your paris pictures on your dream camera btw. soooo poetic!
      btw. I did jury duty not too long ago, depresssing… LOL

3. I like the combination of gray and red, and need to look into those non-slip shoes!

4. Traci says:

Love the shoes – I’m always looking for shoes that are really comfortable for both biking AND walking.

This Fall weather is so wonderful for biking. I wish it could be like this year round, since it’s my favorite season :)

5. Maureen says:

You look very put together and stylish! I am going to look for those shoes! It’s funny how many of us love autumn!

6. philippe says:

I’m always surprised by the locks I see on your bikes (and Trisha’s).
    Is that all you use, those flimsy cables ?

• dukiebiddle says:

Many cyclists are incorrectly under the impression that either the U-lock or the cable lock is fundamentally superior to the other. As with most things, you get what you pay for. A $150 Abus u-lock and a $150 cable lock will provide roughly equal security. Same goes for $70, $40 and $15 locks as well.

With that said, the can’t even see a lock in this photo. I do see a KryptoFlex cable sitting on top of the rear rack, but that is a supplementary security product that does not have a lock, and there’s nothing flimsy about it.

• philippe says:

That’s not the place for this debate, but every test I’ve read in the french (and euro) bike and motor bike press consistently rated U-Locks much higher than chains of the same weight. ie, really strong chains are very, very heavy. And I’ve yet to see a cable with a favorable rating.
        I’ve seen a cable like the one on dottie’s rack when I’ve rented a couple of bikes in Boston this summer (as a complement to a couple of U-Locks) and I’ve been un-impressed.
        Now, I’m no expert.

• philippe says:

And, yes, Dottie is très jolie et élégante. As usual.

• Dottie says:

Not at all. I loop the cable through my two wheels and my saddle and then lock it to my Kryptonite u-lock, which I carry in my basket. For my Dutch bike I have an 8-pound Abus chain lock and a wheel lock.

7. welshcyclist says:

Just fantastic looking as always, you can carry anything off, and still look elegant and gorgeous.

8. Scott says:

Hey! I’m not the only lawyer in Chicago who bikes straight to the court house in the morning. High five!

9. Maria B. says: