A Bicycle Named Millicent

Hello very lovely Let’s Go Ride a Bike readers! This is Maria, of Lulu Letty, here to guest blog for Dottie and Trisha while they’re off exploring France. I am very honored to be chosen as a guest blogger and have the chance to chat about my lovely bike, Millicent. Dottie is a bit of a superhero to me – saving the planet while informing people about the joys of bicycling. Reading her posts and seeing that she could still wear her everyday (or even work) clothes while cycling, truly inspired me to finally buy a bicycle of my own.

While my dream bicycle has always been a Pashley Princess Sovereign (Regency Green), I knew that unless I would be commuting I didn’t want to make that financial investment just yet. So being a lover of vintage and thrifting, I started rummaging through Craigslist in the hope of finding the perfect bicycle. I was pretty lucky that within the first hour of searching, I found my dear Millicent. She was a vintage Sears bicycle from the 70’s and was in great condition. So I went to check her out and take a test drive. I knew immediately that, even though she was burgundy and not hunter green, she was the bike I was looking for. After a paint job and the purchase of a straw basket, Millie and I were ready to start the first of our many adventures together.

Visit the fabulously stylish and smart Maria at Lulu Letty.  For more Millicent photo shoots, see Millicent with breeches , with shorts and brogues,  on a picnic, and during her first ride.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

10 thoughts on “A Bicycle Named Millicent

1. philippe says:

Nice biuke. Who needs a Pashley ?

Now, your seat seems awfully low . Is that deliberate ?
    (and, ahem, your rear tyre and chain need some care…)

2. Cole says:

I love vintage bikes and the wooded country lane reminds me of my childhood.

3. i love an adorable vintage bike! these pictures are darling.

4. Tinker says:

You got STYLE! And a nice bike. Mostly though, you look great, as does Millicent.

Is there a post that shows how-to pictures of paint prep, etc., on Lulu Letty? And whence came the name of your blog?

5. Maria says:

Thank you for all the amazing comments!

Philippe- I’m short, so I like my seat lower.

Two Pitties- Thank you! I used Krylon Outdoor paint in hunter green.

Tinker- Aww, thanks! Sadly, I was too excited to do a how to, but one thing I didn’t do but recommend is priming the bike first. Then use the Krylon outdoor paint.

xx
    Maria

6. Hendrik says:

Even if you are short, the saddle is still too low! You’ll drive *a lot* more comfortable and in style if it is set at the appropriate height…
    It’s not that I care about how you bike that much but looking at the pictures I feel the strain in your legs when pedaling like that and that kind of ruins the joy of looking at the fine pictures.

7. Krista says:

I’m pretty sure I have the exact same basket. Just bought a proper Dutch bike in July and love love love the basket. (You can take your basket off right? And then it has a handle that pops up?)

8. I love your bike and your pictures! I’m just curious what type of paint you used to paint your bike. It looks so great, you can’t even tell you had painted it.