City cycling, San Francisco style

Today’s guest post comes from the lovely Meli, who blogs at both Bikes and the City and Change Your Life, Ride a Bike. Her gorgeous frenchie inspired one of my first cases of bike envy and put me on to the search for a mixte of my own! Meli’s here to take LGRAB readers on a cycling tour of San Francisco, and let me just say that I bitterly regret that Dottie and I didn’t know Meli when we visited the city back in 2007. Guess we’ll just have to head West once again!

Hola everybody. I’m going to show you some of the spots I have stopped by in the last few days and thought I’d include a little map. My usual gorgeous bicycle the frenchie is currently getting some much needed luv+maintenance, so you will see plenty of my much neglected Italian beauty, the smurfette. Also a steel frame and a hill bomber. I am a city girl with a passion for wanderlusting every corner of my beloved city, so here is a little nutshell of my everyday outings. Life is too short. Let’s have fun. All the time. From San Francisco, with love. [map]

+++++

1. Fog tickets
The Presidio is the most hilly-open space in SF with plenty of history in every corner. A military post, a WW Hospital and now you can come across a yoda statue if you look closer, you must. ILM (by Lucas Film) is located just to the right of where this picture was taken. The Golden Gate Bridge is in the background, with some dramatic fog, of course.

Sunday

2. Orange
This is at Civic Center. A little panda shot action. This particular evening was super foggy, so to countercolor that, I wore a dose of the fuschia-polka dot tights of mine and my bright orange sweater. Ride past thru the giant fog machine downtown. Oh yes.

for future guest post

3. Bananas
This is in Cow Hollow. The guys at this corner market here have known me for many years +I used to frequent our-then fave pizza join in North Beach. Good times. I no longer buy cigarettes here, but stop by to say hi and get some iced tea or snax once every couple of weeks. They call me red legs. Another one calls me bike racer, he runs the 1/2 marathon every year. ha haaa =)

for future guest post

4. Flower power
This is in the Inner Richmond. Two girlfriends were having Sushi together and were giggling when I approached their cute blue cruisers and was admiring and giggling over their flowers. This neighborhood is pretty flat for the most part, and it is great for its culinary colours. You can find a vast variety of global flavor from Burmese food to Russian Bakeries to tater tots with your burger.

Cruiser twins
5. Caffeine power
Coffee bar on Mariposa and Florida is one of my fave 3 spots in the city for coffee. I’m not a fan of using computers outside my house or work, but this seems to be a super hot spot for it. I don’t mind it because the location is beautiful, the staff are super nice and the guys know I like triple shots without me asking. Now that is service. I usually sit at the bar. I like to vocal conversations over keyboard bonding while sipping my delicious offee. It is the coffee bar after all.

Love

6. Utah in SF
This is the Hotel Utah. It is on Bryant and 4th and it is a cozy small venue for bands of mostly folk with a dose of a bohemianesque tone. The mac n’ cheese here is a must.

Utah
7. Don’t Haight
This is on Haight street off Masonic. There are still a number of record+vinyl stores in the city. I didn’t go in on this occasion but I parked there to go across the street to Magnolia’s – a recently redone beer place with lots of fancy bar food. I personally don’t like the food there much, but the windows are large and it is great to have a beer with your peeps and people watch. I’m a fan of the big-big communal high table. Fits about 18 people all together.

Haight
8. Smells like ocean spirit
That to the right of the small wall on the right, is the Pacific Ocean. Smells like it too. Beautiful mist on your face, bikes and friends. Not a better way to spend a weeknight riding bikes at night. Wednesday night is for butterlap.

Ocean
9. Girl. Caffeinated.
Here I am at Four Barrel, another fine fine establishment for coffee. This spot is interwebs-free, they don’t sell tea and vinyl is always spinning. So hip.

Happy
Hope you enjoyed a peek into my city adventures. San Francisco is full of awesome neighborhoods and so many things to see. Why can’t days have 52 hours, may I ask?! =)

Okay, besos y kisses

♥xxo.meligrosa

Visit Meli, her city and her bicycling crew at Bikes and the City and Change Your Life, Ride a Bike.

Tagged , , , ,

11 thoughts on “City cycling, San Francisco style

1. Kara says:

I am kinda amazed that anyone can bike around San Francisco. All I think of are hills and what a challenge it would be. But this has changed my mind. It would be amazing to see SF from the saddle of a bicycle.

2. Tinker says:

A woman was doored, causing her to swerve into the path of a bus today, and of course the bus crushed her to death. Things to learn form this:

1. Its DANGEROUS out there.

2. The bus driving was seen sobbing beside the road as she awaited the attending police (and watched the cause of the accident head back on the road for a BABY SHOWER).

3. Drivers do not always obey traffic laws, and very little happens to them. (How often do you speed, at over 35 mph in a suburban neighborhood, and how often do you exceed 65 mph on a freeway? Ever seen a bicyclist do that?) This woman was charged with Driving with a Suspended License, but she should be charged with MURDER 1 (A death in the course of a criminal activity is usually a murder, but she was just a bicyclist after all, and they are a dime a dozen.) She won’t even be charged with Failure to Stop and Render Aid, either.

4. I wonder how soon someone will ask if the dead cyclist was wearing a helmet, when she was spread like potted meat over the road way. Helmets are not going to do it when the big double-rear wheel of a bus squashed you like a grape!

So people will be careful for a week or two, (if I am generous), but it won’t bring this woman back, now, will it?

You may return to your regularly scheduled programs, at this time…

Sorry to interrupt meli’s comment thread. (I think of her as ‘redlegs’ too, and didn’t know there was anyone else out there that did.)

3. beany says:

I love Meli and her Frenchie too! And I love, that she tackles hills. People don’t know this, but here in San Diego there are hills – and I bet these hills could go head to head with SF’s hills. One thing I know for certain, Meli must be strong.

I’m thrilled that she was one of your guest bloggers as she is one of my favorite bloggers as well. Perhaps we could all do a little SF bloggy meetup of the lady bloggers?

4. Simply Bike says:

I love Meli and her awesome blogs! This post just show the kind of awesome energy and spunk she brings to blogging. Thanks for all these SF tips, Meli, I will save them for my next trip out there! S.

5. Why does everyone obsess on our hills when we have so many sweet bike routes that bypass them?

I live up north in Arcata now, but I still think of SF as my city. And I bring my bike when I visit.

6. meligrosa says:

Thanks all for your comments +notes
    This is the awesome way the blogesphere works, we are all connected with the same passion.
    mucho love you all xxo♥meli

7. Anne says:

Thanks for the great post! I bike in Chicago and will be visiting my parents in Benicia CA in November. I would like to ride in SF while I’m there and this post has started my list of places to go!

8. cb says:

yay, i LOVE riding in SF!!! one of my favorite places to ride and the scenario is amazing, nothing else like it!

xo,
    cb

9. Curly Suze says:

Mmmm .. feeling some urban-environment jealousy again. The good kind, of course :)