Absence makes the heart grow fonder

IMG_1361

OK, so I’m still not sure about this statement when it comes to romantic relationships, but it does apply to me and my bikes. Every once in a while, I get in a rut where bicycle commuting seems as problematic as any other form of routine transportation. Over the past two years I’ve learned that if I start feeling that way, the best remedy is to not fight it. After a few days off the bike, riding it again feels like a new discovery or a special treat. That wasn’t the reason for my recent break in riding, though: it was due to the extreme head cold I’ve been fighting since getting back from NYC. Despite a welcome drop in the temperature I hadn’t felt up to getting on my bike — until yesterday.

IMG_1356

What happens to one's skin under heavy bangs after 3 weeks of 100 degree temperatures is not pretty.

And it felt great. Le Peug and I added on an extra couple of miles by going to my friend Erin’s to pick up our CSA share. Only one squash was lost on the way home (darn pletscher racks).

Hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather.

Tagged , , ,

17 thoughts on “Absence makes the heart grow fonder

1. Amanda says:

I’m excited to see you back on Le Peug. I just got a peugeot mixte myself so it’s great to see more out there. I’m excited to start riding it now that it’s not sweltering hot.

And I feel you on the bangs issue. It’s super annoying to be hot and wear a helmet with blunt bangs because they look like crap afterward. :(

2. The Peugeot looks so nice with the fenders and silver rack; very summery. And I giggled at the imagery of a lost squash on the way home.

• Trisha says:

Thank you! Means a lot coming from someone with your highly developed aesthetic sensibilities. :) And yes, my poor little lost squash…

3. Miss Sarah says:

I hear you! After getting back from Chicago I’ve been picking up baby, doing big groceries to re-stock the house (both car excursions) and then being marooned inside trying to clear up this disaster of a house and do my thesis editing while having Mr. Busybody (baby D) around. Haven’t been riding for the past few days, but I’ve been on the train:)

Tonight, though. My friend Tom asked me to go swing dancing on our friend-date tonight!

4. Amy says:

I’ve been fighting the same thing with the bangs this year, and have become frustrated/uncomfortable enough with them that I’ve decided to grow them out. We’ll see how long that last. They’re at Stab Me in the Eyes length right now. :)

So only one squash was lost from the Pletscher rack, but I’m curious as to how you got more than one squash on it (I’m imagining just the squashes being held down then the spring clamp/claw thing, and it’s not pretty!). :)

• Trisha says:

Yes, I can see how this requires more explanation! They were in a bag, clamped down — when the bag (1 of 2) escaped from the clamp, one squash suffered a badly skinned side. :)

I don’t know what I’m going to do with my bangs. If I’m permanently scarred after this summer I may have to keep them forever. ;)

5. bikerly says:

I’ve been fighting the exact symptoms myself. It’s difficult even to muster a half sane 140 character tweet. I have an appointment tonight with Dr. Raleigh – a specialist in head cases like mine. I’m expecting an excellent outcome, like yours. Stay healthy.

6. Jeanette says:

re different bikes for a fresh perspective: I just unearthed my old Bianchi mixte road bike from 1981. Hmm, fenders like yours would look great on it….

I think I’m going to ride it to work tomorrow, assuming the tires are still inflated! It will be a totally different ride quality than my usual city bicycle….but I’m looking forward to it, and viva la difference!

7. Yay for happy reunions with bikes!

I feel you on the bangs. Since I’m training for a marathon and mine are an awkward length that escapes clips and headbands, I have been dealing with some especially oily skin.

8. Steve A says:

SOME of us would be very pleased indeed to get the opportunity of hair long enough to create skin problems!

9. erin says:

Oh! That first bike ride after a few days away is so, so good.

10. maureen says:

Glad you are feeling better. As for the bangs, uggghhhh! I’ve had bangs my entire life, and don’t want to give them up. However, humidity and helmets make them crazy some days. I feel if my bangs aren’t looking good, I won’t have a good day (silly, I know). Anyhow evalu had some advice for me a few weeks ago.http://eva-lu.com/2010/07/20/tuesday-tip-tame-those-bangs/

11. Julie Hardee says:

You need to wear a helmet!

12. meligrosa says:

the back of your dress is way cute! +thanks for kepin it real, cuz we sweat and are real passionate for this bikey world +its crazy temperature, dammit!! :D
    xxo.m