A Hot Ride

The heat wave continues in Chicago and around the country. In the 90 degree temperatures, this dress helps me look put together while sweating bullets. Although the black material attracts the beating sun, sweat marks are completely concealed.

I love this Diane von Furstenberg dress because I bought it from the Salvation Army for $3.99 last week! Unfortunately the details don’t show up in the photo from my point-and-shoot camera, but it’s a button down with a big collar and a sash at the waist.

This is the beautiful garden where I sat during my lunch hour, eating a cupcake and reading Bust magazine. A guy walking by looked at my bike and commented, “Must be tricky in those heel.” Nope, not really, with some practice.

Oh, I love getting out of the office for a bike ride, although the resulting sun and sugar high makes it a bit hard to focus for the rest of the afternoon. :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “A Hot Ride

1. Elisa M says:

Love the dress. I long for the days when I can dress like that and ride. With the hills and the style of my bike, I flash everyone and get blisters! Boo. One day…

2. cycler says:

Major thrift score!

Ahh, the magic of a little black dress to make you feel pulled together no matter what!

3. Jeanette says:

Perfect pairing of dress + bicycle!

Love the bottom photo of the bike — it looks so sculptural and dignified and whimsical, all at once.

4. DvF makes the best dresses, what a great find!

5. cycler says:

While I realize that yours isn’t a wrap dress, have you seen this?

One woman, one DVF wrap dress, 30 days…

6. Beany says:

Sometimes I wish you lived near me. Well…I wish that all the time, but anyway.

Since I don’t often wear heels, I always gets comments from women who claim they would ride if they wore flats as often as I did, but alas…since they wear heels they don’t. It doesn’t matter that I point them to your website…nope it is only the car for them that wear heels.

Anyway…you look fabulous as always, even in the heat.

7. Steve A says:

How, exactly, do you operate the accelerator and brake pedals of a car reliably while wearing heels? It seems like operating the pedals on a bike would be simpler. But what do I know?

8. Annalisa says:

DVF makes amazing, timeless clothes. You will have that dress for years and years. And $3.99 is a total score!

There was a great show in Savannah recently about her, called Journey of a Dress. It was pretty interesting.

9. maureen says:

Great summer photos! And you are braver than I, due today’s heat advisory I skipped riding.

10. Sigrid says:

That heels comment really bugs me. That’s all.

11. Frits B says:

Ha, a dress you could easily have worn to the Ravinia Festival:

12. Cameron says:

Diane von Furstenberg and Pashley were made for each other. Thanks for showing us why.

13. dagmaral says:

Score! I have a similar dress from Esprit. In fact I live in shirt dresses all summer long. I don’t even think I’ve worn pants since March!

I’ve never taken my bike out for a ride on my lunch hour as yet. I should give it a try too.

14. Sungsu says:

I’ve read this a few times before about riding in heels: “It’s easier than walking in them.”

15. David says:

Dottie, where is the SA you go to? (I’m local – NW side) Perhaps you’d rather not broadcast it, the better to still be able to score nice finds like that dress ($4!), but if nothing else I’m male so I won’t be competing for the same clothes! A couple of my friends have put together really nice looks that include SA ‘ganga’ finds but when I look at all I never seem to look in the right ones.

16. Liz says:

I always just respond: “oh, but soooo much easier than walking in them!” Combined with a super-flashy smile.

Works great!

17. Anne Hawley says:

I like the way heels hook onto the pedals for a slip-free ride.

And yes, oh my gosh: I can wear the most ridiculous shoes on my bike, and barely walk across the garage to the elevator in them.

18. Ellen Allerton says:

I haven’t quite mastered the dress on the bike just yet. I packed my dress in my bag today so I was “fresher” on this hot and sweaty day.

19. Tinker says:

Today was supposed to be 100 degrees here (heat index 105) but we won the rain lottery (20-30% chance of rain) and it dropped to 81. Welcome, spring! Or is it Autumn? The only two times of the year that are truly liveable, April-May, October-November. (And maybe not even then.)

20. Parker says:

Thanks, Dottie, for the tip to wear black in hot weather! Last night I sang in a big concert: 120 singers on stage, and my black shirt helped me look not too awful. (Of course I biked to & from the concert.) Thanks!

21. Traci says:

Love that dress (and definitely can’t beat the price)!! It’s a lot of fun to look around in places such as Goodwill and the Salvation Army to see what I find. Unfortunately I don’t usually find very much, at least not in the size I need :)

22. David from Madison says:

A hot day. A hot woman, in a hot dress……..

Oh, why do I visit this site my wife wonders?

23. Diana says:

$3.99 for a DVF? What an amazing find! You look lovely.

24. luanni says:

Look fabulous and fresh, love the dress cool and sexy, e-bikes is also good to use during summer, it will save your energy and arrive at your destination still fresh looking.