Bank Cashes in on Bicycling Lifestyle

Trish! Have you seen the new Regions commercial with the family bike? They are in a shop making bikes, and they are talking about the simple elements of good banking and bike building. It is very neat! At the end they give a little family a two-seater bike and a kid seat on the back.

Last week my friend Jennie reminded me of an ad campaign featuring bicycles that Regions Bank has been running. It must be a success: it has been around for about two years and includes several different TV spots. A Birmingham-based ad agency, Luckie & Company, produced the spots.

While I haven’t seen the spot she mentions, and couldn’t find it on YouTube, I’m definitely a fan of these ads. My favorite is this one, which associates all the things we love about bicycles with Regions Bank. What I love most is that it flat out says cycling is a better way to get where you want to go.

This one features a woman riding in a dress.

Do you think Regions’ CEO really bike commutes?

Of course, for every positive portrayal of bicycles in the media, there’s an ad for car insurance that shows a wistful cyclist wanting to trade in his helmet for a set of SUV keys (everyone would rather be driving, right?). And everyone knows the “green” bandwagon is the place to be right now. Still, seeing cycling portrayed as a normal, sensible activity—even if it’s just in a 20-second commercial—is always a good thing, right?

Tagged , , ,

18 thoughts on “Bank Cashes in on Bicycling Lifestyle

1. jjfantastic says:

The one with the Mom + kid on back is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFGGpwDbE7g&feature=player_embedded

I’d totally bank with them :)

2. Jeanette says:

Yes! Everyday cycling as a mainstream activity — it’s one thing for trendy stores to show gorgeous bicycles — and a great way to inspire/appeal/attract new people to cycling — but an ad like this suggests that bicycles for commuting and errands is really becoming a cultural norm. Especially since most banks are not trendsetters!

I love this; thanks for posting!

3. wow, these really are great ads. I would bank with them too. I especially liked the CEO parking his bike in his spot.

• Curly Suze says:

The guy who’s president of the place I work at claims he’s about to start bicycling to work .. it will be quite the statement if he does it too.

Trish, thanks for sharing ,, nice ads! :) I’d bank with them too. Do they actually have bike racks in front of their offices though?

• Trisha says:

The branch near my office does, but I would be surprised if all of them did…

• Redeyedtreefr0g says:

Granted, this is a year ago, but the Regions in Jacksonville did have a bike rack out front, and I hadn’t seen these commercials yet. I thought it was awesome that someone who worked there thought enough about the company to make their bike match the bank! It did have the Expect More license tag on it too. I believe someone did commute there on it, because it would randomly not be there some days, and it was always locked, sometimes in different spots on the bike rack. I always wanted the bank to host a promotion where I could open an account and get a bicycle.

4. The ads look nice but I have been very unhappy with how unfriendly to bikes Regions is. After being denied service in the drive through, having the ATM put IN the drive through and being told I couldn’t park the bike in my spot of choice, I carried my case for bikes all the way to their vice_president of marketing.When I express the opinion that a bank that uses bikes as their symbol should make it easier for their biking customers. I was told the bike was to show that biking was as easy as biking and was not meant to say they supported making biking easy. Nobody in the marketing dept actually biked and did not consider bikers as an important demographic.

They did put a bike rack at my local bank around the building in a very inconvenient and out of sight place. That was the best I could do. If anybody here is a Regions customer, try to go through the drive thru or ask for a bike rack. I am hoping I am not the only one asking for these things.

• Trisha says:

I am so disappointed to hear that, Colleen. They should have taken your very valid complaints more seriously! It does make me think that, as another commenter says below, this must have been Luckie & Co’s brainchild.

5. Simply Bike says:

Wow, these are great! I’ve never seen them before, I love that first one. Everyone just taking over the streets on their bright yellow cruisers and the commentary talking about freedom and control.

A nice change indeed from all the car commercials that act like driving is an upgrade from cycling that every adult deserves.

S

6. I love the association of “expect more” with bicycles!

7. George says:

Love the blog girls. Im not sure about Regions, but in toronto, the CEO of the Toronto Dominion Bank, one the largest banks in Canada, he actually cycles to work on a semi regular basis. And its not short commute either…he is probably 30-40km away…so you never know who is actually cycling and what they do for a living.

8. Eli says:

*Love* the association of biking with “easier” and “better”. Sad to hear that Regions itself isn’t actually bike-friendly. Now I’m curious to know if the big bikers are at Luckie and Company, and if that’s where the idea came from.

9. [...] reading for the NIMBYs fighting the Expo bike path through Cheviot Hills. Biking all the way to the bank. The country’s first non-San Diego Gran Fondo rolls through Philadelphia. Houdini: great [...]

10. cb says:

yes i have to agree any positive attention bikes can get is good in my book. i think they should try and do campaigns that show that having a car is good for those looonnng drives but for everything else ride a bike! we have a car that we don’t drive very often but it is good to have to see family that lives an hour and a half away plus since we don’t drive often we have cheaper car insurance…maybe they could spin that into a positive campaign that…

11. Pam says:

I’e seen the ad and I do like the positive attitude about biking. But it seems like the helmet chin strap is very loose and not worn properly. I wish the ad agency had a technical director to portray how smart the woman would be if the helmet was properly adjusted.

12. Karen says:

God damn genius! I wish I could bank at Regents! From an advertising perspective these ads are really brilliant. At a time when we all hate (and I mean HATE) banks, especially big behemoth institutions, wouldn’t these ads give you a warm fuzzy feeling about Regents? Like, these people are going to take their time and get to know me . . . they care.

13. Daniel says:

Anyone have a guess as to what make the green coloured bicycles are featured in the ad?