Explore: Nashville’s downtown

In the spirit of the LGRAB Summer Games, last week Le Peug and I rode downtown to go to a party celebrating the release of a new bourbon from Maker’s Mark.

Le Peug in front of the Country Music Hall of Fame

Riding downtown isn’t completely new for me, but I’ve only done it a handful of times—and this was the first time I rode from the office to downtown and then to the Gulch. The picture below shows the new Pinnacle building on the left. It blended into the sky better before they branded it, but such is modern life.

Pinnacle building and Encore condos

The place, the bourbon.

When I left The Palm, it was about 7:45 and the sun was setting. Apparently every bird in Nashville wants to be roosting on the roof of the Hilton at dusk, and the sky was full of them.

AT&T building peeking out from behind the Hilton; bird-filled sky

I rode down Demonbruen and over the viaduct to the Gulch, admiring the sunset along the way.

Union station, sunset

The Gulch, sunset

Most of my bike trips lately have been from home to work and back again, and to other familiar places (grocery store, pub, etc.). Exploring a new part of town was just what I needed to recapture the sense of adventure I felt when I got on the bike for the first time. Here’s hoping the rest of you who did this task for the Summer Games had the same experience!

Tagged , , , , , ,

9 thoughts on “Explore: Nashville’s downtown

1. Amy says:

I would love to get out to that side of the state and ride around. Perhaps one day. There’s still plenty of hills and “hollers” left to explore here. :)

2. Maria says:

Your peugeot looks like the one I picked up a few weeks ago in Iowa (for $15!!)

Lovely ride!

3. welshcyclist says:

Hi Trisha,

Thanks for sharing “downtown” with us, I enjoy your posts and photographs. Like you I don’t get enough leisure time riding, and feel somewhat trapped, even though it’s in this beautiful valley I call home. The problem I have is that I have to travel so far to actually get out of the valley, and it’s all up hill! Life in a big city has advantages which you seem to be taking making full use of, exploring the way you do. Keep reporting your adventures.
    Cheers.

• Step-Through says:

Does every Southern city have a ‘gulch’? Atlanta has a giant pit of railroad tracks along the western side of downtown, where the gorgeous Terminal Station used to stand before progress happened…

4. ESS says:

What did you think of 46?

• Trisha says:

Ah, the really important question! It was good, very smooth. The nose was terrific.

• ESS says:

I’m a big fan of Makers and the new 46 may just be my new favorite Bourbon. I went to a similar event in Richmond, VA about two weeks ago. Are you a Makers Mark Ambassador?

5. anna says:

Lovely pictures. A town looks just so different when on a bike. Hope you have an even more adventurous summer ;-).

6. Jeanette says:

I used to go to Nashville often (actually to Laverne, but I’d stay in Nashville) — how great to see your pictures of some very familiar streets! Union Station is great…always one of my favorites. I never thought about seeing Nashville by bicycle in those days, but I imagine downtown would be fun, though I do remember a few hills!

Thanks for a great post….