Farmer’s Market by Bike

Another farmer’s market visit by bike. You’ll be seeing a lot of these this summer. Today Mr. Dottie and I rode down to Green City Market in Lincoln Park with Arielle. This is a relatively big market, so there’s always something new to capture my attention. This week: sunflowers, rainbow chard, raspberry pie and a bluegrass band.

Me and Arielle

Sunflowers

Rainbow Chard

Hoosier Mama Raspberry Pie

Blue Grass Band

Flower Specials

Mr. Dottie aka Greg

Betty My Love

I love riding in the summer to do stuff outdoors. Even though I sweat buckets during the ride, I’m not compelled to rush to a restroom and freshen up. I walk around and naturally cool down a bit, while dust and grass enter the mix with my sunblock. Being a little grimy is good for feeling like a kid again, back when I hated taking baths :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Farmer’s Market by Bike

1. Janice in GA says:

I know what you mean re being grimy. I was thinking about that earlier today. I still had dirty chain grease (no chainguard, alas) on my legs. On top of that was the sunscreen, then the dust and grass bits that accumulate out on the road. It felt fine. :)

And a little later when I showered off, that felt fine too. Best of both worlds.

2. Amy says:

As my mom used to say “god made dirt, so dirt don’t hurt”. A comment that she later would regret whenever trying to get me in the bath! :)

3. I agree – getting a little bit dirty makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something with my day – whether it’s some yard work, a long bike ride or helping a friend paint a room. Good stuff!

4. Randall says:

I don’t know what looks better – the food or the bikes. Okay, the bikes! I really dig Mr. Dottie’s rig. Great pics.

5. Traci says:

Looks like such a fun farmer’s market – ours definitely aren’t so nice! I envy the ability to look as fresh and cool as you always do when really hot and sweaty :)

6. You make me feel better about the hot and sweaty part because there’s nowhere in Texas right now that’s not hot and sweaty.

I’ll be pedaling away in the heat…

:) Laura

7. Miss Sarah says:

I find sweat a lot easier to combat in a strapless.

Love the dress!

8. Dave says:

We went this morning as well, then went to breakfast and had lemon ricotta pancakes with fresh marionberries, and I had a grapefruit mimosa and trina a bloody mary. then off to get a straw fedora and later to be sock models :) it was a good saturday, despite the heat!

farmers markets really are beautiful!

9. Vee says:

I had that grimy dried salt thing going on fri. I kept licking my lips and exfoliating my arms by rubbing the salt in. I’m weird like that.

Ok everyone’s farmer’s market is better than mine. Miss Sarah’s and yours. I miss NYC’s union square market which ruled the world. I need bluegrass bands and so on! hmm I need to get onthe market board.

10. James says:

I had a Raleigh just like Mr. Dottie’s…until last year when I cracked the headtube on a ride into work . Now I don’t have it anymore, but it is always nice to see someone riding the old steel and keeping it up so nicely! Awesome ride.

• Tinker says:

Hey, I still have one on my patio, gathering dust. A black ladies Sport 3, 1971-1973 vintage. Needs wheel replacement though. Come to Austin, and take it away!

Black with gold pin striping, all the labels/paint still clear and clean, I’d hate to just pitch it, but I suppose I ought to. Get it off the patio at least, so I can store my current ride there.

11. neighbourtease says:

The markets are overflowing right now. It’s such a pleasure, especially when I think of how desperate we were for a non-potato in March.

12. John says:

Anything less than 5 or 6 miles is automatic bike in the summer. I do carry an extra shirt rolled up in my trunk bag. Just in case, you know?

This last month the only transportation decisions I have to make is which bike to ride.

13. Maureen says:

The Farmers Market looks like so much fun! Your sunflower photo is beautiful, and the raspberry pie looks delicious!

14. Elaine says:

I have to say I am the opposite!! I love feeling clean – I have to take showers every day if I step outside.. But I have to say, you manage looking GREAT when you bike and that is a feat only a select few can accomplish.

15. welshcyclist says:

Dottie, your style and elegance is a wonder to behold, and admire. You are picture perfect everytime, your blog cheers me up no end.

16. joanne says:

Hi Dottie! Love your blog! It’s very inspiring. I too go to the same Farmer’s Market- love it.
    Just bought myself a new bike after 3 years of not having one-I am a transplant here from NYC. I got a Pashley and adore it! I wish I had discovered it while I was living back east. She’s a great bike so far and I hope to have many years of enjoyment with her! I am staying tuned to your posts ’cause I need all the help I can get! Thanks for the help getting me on the road again!

17. Stephen says:

We’ve had some really hot ones lately down here on the Gulf Coast. Wouldn’t trade for a Chicago winter, but they can be a wee bit uncomfortable at times. However, I rode my bicycle to a neighborhood pub up the road, had a few pints while listening to some friends play in a delightful Irish trad group, and wobbled home in the dark (with flashing lights and helmet) afterwards. T’was lovely, if sweaty.

I really enjoy looking at Mr. Dottie’s bike. I rode a ’73 or ’74 Raleigh Gran Sport just like that all over Ft. Walton Beach, Portland, OR, D.C., and Tallahassee, FL back in the day. Wouldn’t trade it for my Heron presently, but it was a good horse in its day.

18. Maria says:

So fun. Cole and I have been wanting to bike to the farmer’s market in town, but I’m scared of the crazy curving roads and equally crazy drivers. Plus, it’s really hilly. Ok, now I’m just making excuses.

P.S. Thank you so much for the supportive comment. It really means so much.

XOXO

Lulu Letty

19. Beth says:

I love biking to the Farmer’s Market!! I did a whole blog about the one in Denver too – I love your photos. :)