In Kentucky, where there’s sunshine all the time . . .

I spent part of the holiday weekend in Kentucky, tasting bourbon, taking pictures of bourbon barrels (which I’ll keep to a minimum here) and roaming the streets of Louisville (as a public service announcement, let me tell you right now to stay away from Fourth Street Live no matter what the nice lady at the front desk says).

Barrels and barrels of bourbon

There's something about that honey-colored wood . . .

Though we didn’t spend many daylight hours in Louisville, there was enough time to notice a few elements of biking cuture—like this interesting bike rack. Nashville has gotten some flak lately for valuing style over substance when it comes to bike rack installations, but this dragon seems to have both.

And, um, this interesting bike rack, which, having no bikes ourselves, April, Chiara and I decided could do double-duty as a jungle gym.

Louisville does appear to have a Bcycle bike sharing program of sorts—but as far as I could determine from the street, this station at least was only for Humana employees.

I can't ride this bike, since I don't work for Humana.

Our destination was the 21C Museum Hotel, where we perused the awesome exhibits (and imbibed delicious cocktails). This was our favorite piece of art.

It's raining poetry

Then we walked over to the Brown Hotel, where we borrowed some sparklers from a wedding reception and had our own little Fourth of July celebration.

Then we decided to pedicab it home. My first ride in one ever!

The Louisville pedicabs have 21 speeds and internal hubs. Our driver certainly seemed to transport us effortlessly—but then, we Southern belles don’t weigh more than a cotton boll, bless our hearts.

How was your holiday weekend?

Tagged , , , , ,

32 thoughts on “In Kentucky, where there’s sunshine all the time . . .

1. Cathy says:

Those bike racks are awesome! I really like the dragon.

2. Steve A says:

Well, ain’t that just precious! That dragon bike rack would simply not do. Our chief rivals are the Dragons. See any panther racks?

3. Karen says:

Oh, Trish, I am so jealous. I miss Louisville so much. Fourth Street Live . . . . let me guess, lots of over-processed hair and muscle tee . . . . I don’t know if eliminating the dress code was that great an idea. I am sure a more extensive bike-share is in the works. Mayor Jerry is obsessed with increasing bike commuting and the Council voted to fund a bike station in downtown. It looks like you had a good time in the ‘Ville and got to check out some of the cool new bike shops that have opened up in the last few years.

• dukiebiddle says:

My city has a “Live!” too, so I looked it up. Yep, it’s development chain. Ours is a cluster of chain pick-up bars for the suburban homogenized under 25 and fake I.D. crowd. Gross.

• Trisha says:

Yup, that about sums it up DB. I thought about posting a couple of the pictures I took there but they were not safe for a family blog. :)

Karen, I can’t believe I forgot you were a KY knowledge source — you’ll have to email me some suggestions for next time. My brother lives in Indy so I drive through there every so often, and I’m sure I’ll go back.

4. eli says:

Awww. I grew up in Louisville, and I can safely say – you are so right about Fourth Street Live! Glad you had some fun though. I always love seeing pretty pictures of that pretty city.

I didn’t know about the Bike Share program – that’s great! We had something like that in Lexington a couple years ago, but it was kind of a big disaster. Hopefully things will improve for both of Kentucky’s major cities.

Love the bourbon barrel shots. YUM. Best bourbon cocktail, if you’re ever in Kentucky again (or maybe they have this in Nasvhille?) – bourbon and Ale 8. DELISH.

Anyway. Next time (if you have more time), definitely check out the Germantown/Highlands area. More fun part of town than actual downtown, and totally bike-friendly!

5. philip says:

great blog site with wonderfull pictures

6. [...] July 9, 2010 · Leave a Comment First of all: credit where credit is due – I first learned of this vital story from the ladies at Let’s Go Ride A Bike. [...]

7. Love the pedicab story. Your trip made me think of Kirsten Dunst explaining how to pronounce Louisville to Orlando Bloom in Elizabethtown.

Cheers,
    Laura

8. meligrosa says:

love it!! you gals look like fun troubles :D
    i wanna come visit KY and ride bikes. bourbon and all ok!?
    xxo.m

9. arnique says:

That dragon reminds me of Gaudi’s Parc Guell. Excellent mosaic and a very very fun bike stand.

A from A + B in the Sea

10. Ben says:

Pedicabs are fun. We have them all over downtown Austin.

11. Dottie says:

Wish I could have been there! This post radiates fun. You three plus bourbon is a guaranteed great time. Add monkey bars, pedicabs and … some more bourbon and then it’s a party. Beautiful pictures of the belles :)

12. Simply Bike says:

This looks like such a great weekend (and as a part-time fashion blogger, I have to comment that your outfits look great – that skirt with the zipper is fantastic!).

I’ve never taken a bicycle taxi although there were plenty in Munich. I can’t imagine how they do it, I would be so curious to give it a try from the driver’s perspective to see how lugging several people actually feels… although, by that I mean several non-Southern Belles who weigh more than just a cotton boll ;)

S.

• Trisha says:

Thanks S! Yes, I know, I am curious about how it would feel to drive one, too, but wasn’t sure about the etiquette of asking. :) Forgot to mention the strangest thing about the pedicab — no meter! We just paid what we thought the ride was worth. Anyone know if that is typical?

13. Cherilyn says:

Love the dragon rack and y’all in the pedicab! Fun post!

14. Kentucky looked like Fuh-hunnnn…:)

15. dave says:

thanks for the shots of the bike racks. Inspiring!

16. Dave says:

Looks like you had a fantastic time! I think alcohol tastings are one of the best group activities you can do, especially with friends :)

Cheers!

17. Jon Grinder says:

Mmmmm, bourbon…

I have become quite fond of Manhattans, lately, particularly when made with Jim Beam.

18. Trisha says:

Manhattans are my favorite winter drink! With Gentleman Jack, usually, though I’m looking forward to making one with the bourbon I bought up there. Recently I have become a big fan of the Perfect Manhattan (both sweet and dry vermouth).

19. LC says:

What a super fun post!! :D x

20. adam says:

a manhattan is an incredible libation. traditionally made with rye, unfortunately, and most usually prepared nowadays with canadian blended rye (yuck!!). do you like your perfect manhattan prepared with bitters? something bartenders usually slip in.

luckily, as a kentuckian, and a fervent believer our local spirits, we have a couple of good tangy ryes to supplement the purist–old overholt and sazerac are two–there are a couple more that i can’t remember off hand. however, if you like a good bourbon-manhattan, maker’s mark is the best–blends well with the sweet vermouth. truly decadent, winter or summer.

in so far as commenting on our local color, well, mark twain said it best when he lamented or praised that kentucky is where he would choose to die, cause everything gets here 20 years later. i don’t know how that directly applies to cycle culture or progressive attitudes in general, but you get the picture.

next time you are in and around the area, let me know and i can point you towards some good drinking.

21. spacemodular says:

Hmm, Humana – putting the ‘B’ in cycle… huh?

I would like to see your pedicab give you and a oak barrel of bourbon a ride home.

Louisville looks like a nice town to ride a bike.

Happy July from Chicago’s West Side!

22. d says:

If I hadn’t seen a woman in a mini skirt riding a closed frame road bike with high heels, I would have believed you. But I know you southern belles love to tell a little white one.

23. Vee says: