Flowers for the Tour de Fat

On Saturday I attended the Tour de Fat, an annual bike festival by New Belgium Brewing, where I ran into several people I know, including frequent commenter Scott and his girlfriend with their gorgeous Velorbis and Pashley bikes (pictured below). Chicago was the first stop on a nation-wide tour. You can read, see and watch more about the Tour de Fat at my write-up from last year.

Before heading out, I decided to decorate my bike. The flowers came from a thrift store wreath and were already strung together. I simply zip-tied each end to the top of my basket and voila – bike basket beauty.

I also decorated my hair. :) This is going down as an event in the Summer Games, “Decorate your bike.”

All bike baskets should be adorned with flowers and/or ribbon!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Flowers for the Tour de Fat

1. meligrosa says:

oh wowzersssss – what you doing looking so cute!!?!? I LOVE IT!
    that tiger shot is aweseome :D good times!!
    go tour de fat :DDD

i am *so* behind on the summer ollympics – im doing the posts anyways for fun!

besos+hugs from SF ladies <3

2. Dave says:

I’ve never been to the tour de fat, despite its having been in Portland. From pictures I’ve seen of it here, it gets a little crazy-bike-people crazy, so I’ve never really felt a huge desire to go hang out. While I think it’s interesting and nice in a sense that Portland has such a “bike fun” crowd, I’m not really too into it myself (plus I’m just not huge on big crowds anyway).

I recently saw a John Deere bicycle in my neighborhood and did a total double-take. For whatever reason, I didn’t stop to take a photo, and now I wish I had.

The flowers look great! Hope you had a great time!

3. Nicola says:

Those flowers look so cute!

4. JC says:

Great pictures Dottie!

5. Simply Bike says:

Tour de Fat looks awesome, I’ve been checking out the schedule for rides near me as well.

Even more awesome – the flowers on your basket! They look gorgeous. S.

6. I LOVE Fat Tire, and your bike basket is just perfect. I’m trying to get my last event in under the wire – these deadlines sneak up fast!

7. Emily says:

Great to see you there Dottie! I’d highly recommend the festival to anyone who lives in the upcoming tour cities- there is lots of love and one of the few situations where anything goes these days.

8. tastymoog says:

this sounds like loads of fun! ok new belgium, get out on the (north) east coast!!

9. Tinker says:

Is Scott riding a Velorbis Scrap? Always liked them. Great looking bike.

• Scott says:

Yes, it’s the scrap deluxe. It has been a really excellent daily ride, especially since I discovered that the fat tires (how appropriate) do much better at less than max psi.

Love the pictures Dottie!

• bongobike says:

Tour de Fat is a blast–not to be missed! I don’t know what took me so long, but I attended for the first time last year here in Austin. The most fun I’ve ever had in a cycling activity. The ride around town was a hoot and the “show” was hilarious.

• Tinker says:

I’ve been intending to put Big Apple, 26×2.35″ on my Torker Cargo T, seems like it would fit, and the brakes are not a problem (roller front, coaster rear).

Came with anorectic Kendas, 26×1.95″. I really like fat tires on a bike.

10. cycler says:

I so wish they would make it out East. It looks like so much fun!
    Oh, and your dress is super cute too.

11. Neighbourtease says:

I love the flowers– will you keep them?

12. Jasmine says:

Thank you for your comment! if I can bake a cheesecake then just about anyone can!!

ohhh your bike looks so cute with the flowers on your basket! Everytime I read your blog it makes me want to get out and go for a ride (but unfortunately the weather here at the moment is no where near as tempting as yours looks).

Definitely keeping an eye out for some pretty flowers to put on my basket… thanks for the inspiration!

13. Karen says:

New Belgium pulled the Tour de Fat from Flagstaff due to bad behavior, not so much by that of Tour de Fat attendees but people who crashed from another event. We hope to get it back though. I’ve joined a FB group that is lobbying for its return. New Belgium is a good company to work with.

14. spacemodular says:

How about a big shoutout to WEST TOWN BIKES!

The whole reason for Tour de Fat being in Chicago.

West Town Bikes is a community bicycle learning workshop which focuses on youth programs. WTB teaches basic bike maintenance and promotes youth bicyle riding as a safe and health conscious activity. WTB also has adult classes and open shop twice a week.

So while the Tour is a great time for beer and bikes, the reason it exists is to generate funds for bicycle advocacy programs.

Check out westtownbikes.org for more information.

15. [...] Via Let’s Go Ride a Bike. [...]