Beautiful Bicycles: Pashley Sonnet Bliss (yes, again)

Today I stopped by Boulevard Bikes to visit the Pashley Sonnet Bliss. Lucky for me, one of the very few Pashley retailers in the U.S. is in Chicago. My love for Pashleys is no secret and I hope to own a Pashley one day. Of course, I also hope to own a bakfiets cargo bike, Brompton folding bike, ANT Light Roadster and Sweet Pea Little Black Dress, so… we’ll see.

Two years ago I seriously considered buying Pashley Princess Sovereign. I decided to buy my Dutch bike instead, but now I think owning both would not be too crazy.

A year ago, I rode and reviewed the Pashley Sonnet Bliss and fell in love. You can read all about the bike at the original review.

This is going down as “test ride a different type of bike than you normally ride” for the Summer Games. I swear the Pashley is different enough from my Oma to count! ;)

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “Beautiful Bicycles: Pashley Sonnet Bliss (yes, again)

1. Dave says:

I dunno, that’s cutting it awfully close :) Shouldn’t you be riding like a fixie track bike or something? Or a full-suspension mountain bike! :)

Those are gorgeous bikes, I’ve ogled them many times at Clever Cycles here in town (not that exact model, but Pashleys in general). They really are basically the modern-day Raleigh.

Cheers!

2. Anne Hawley says:

That cream and blue color scheme (or should I say colour scheme?) is just as elegant as it can be.

I’m with Dave, though: I’m not convinced that the Pashley counts as a different kind of bike from the Omafiets. Ha! Can’t blame you for counting it, though. It’s a beauty.

3. neighbourtease says:

I think it counts! English roadster and Dutch bike are very different rides, at least I feel they are. I love both.

4. Cosmo says:

You rode my Pashley’s fraternal twin! Yay for the Sonnet Bliss! I’d definitely say the Pashley is different from the kind of bike you normally ride. As much as I love the Pashley an oma is certainly calling me.

5. Dave says:

I won’t argue that the Pashley and Omafiets are probably very different rides – but they’re very much in the same category of upright, sturdy, practical, get-on-and-go bikes :)

I’m not complaining though, it’s a pretty bike. How could you complain about pictures of pretty bikes?

6. Jennifer says:

I bought my Pashley Princess first before developing a Workcycles Azor Oma obsession that just wouldn’t shift. I bought an Oma with some reservations about owning two very similar bikes. I have to say though that they do feel different to ride. Pashley has become my back-up bike and although I love her, I am absolutely smitten with Oma. The ride quality is just amazing.

• Dottie says:

Oooh, nice to hear from someone who owns both. The Pashley would be more of a back-up or depending-on-my-mood bike, too. A vintage bike that’s much less expensive would make more sense if I wanted another bike, but would not resolve my Pashley obsession :)

7. Hayley says:

I love that Dottie’s outfit is coordinated with the bike!! :D

8. Richard says:

Don’t you need a Vanilla bike to round out the fantasy stable? http://www.vanillabicycles.com

9. They are indeed very different bikes in terms of ride quality and posture. Still, personally, I would not own both, because for me they would perform the same function. But now that I think about it, I do own a second, vintage loop frame : ) …

10. Kara says:

I am not sure where I stand on the Oma vs Pashley discussion, but I can say that you do look perfect perched on that Pashley. I do love the look of those Sonnet Blisses!

11. anna says:

Lovely, you two would fit together very well! I love the blue!

12. Melissa S. says:

I want one!!

13. E A says:

I would never have thought the ANT Light Roadster or the Sweet Pea Little Black Dress would be on your wish list! Your go-faster bikes. ;-)

14. Traci says:

That is a gorgeous bike! I’m so new to biking that I still don’t know a lot about different bikes, so was wondering what you (or anyone else!) would recommend for a bike that is light and fast and can climb hills easily (that’s probably not an issue at all for you in Chicago though!). I chose my current bike purely for comfort, but have realized that the next one is going to have to be lighter and faster since all the hills are killing me! :) While I love the look and stability of the Dutch bikes, they just aren’t practical for hilly terrain. I don’t like the look of many road bikes and also feel very unstable on them, so would most likely immediately fall off! Any suggestions?

• Dottie says:

Well, I looooove my Rivendell Betty Foy, but she’s a bit pricey for some people. I think most steel frame mixtes would be good for your purpose. The Electra Tecino is very similar in looks to the Betty Foy and less expensive.

• Traci says:

Thanks, Dottie. I love your Betty Foy also! I’ll have to look into bike shops in my area, since I’d be surprised if any carry some of the more unusual bikes. About 98% of the bikes I see in Atlanta are road bikes and I’m beginning to realize why – lol :) I’m almost ready to just get an electric bike. I debated when I first got a bike, but decided it would be a cop-out to go with electric – after trying hills in the heat of summer though, electric is sounding better and better!

15. diana says:

that is a sweet bike. in my opinion great choice! loooove your dress and red flats!

16. Lady Vélo says:

I’m slightly biased in saying this, but a Pashley would be a wonderful bike to own :) It also suits your style!

17. Alex Maroon says:

You look so amazing on that bike! If you can afford it I reckon you should get it as it is gorgeous and lighter than your Oma. They can be friends. I am getting the same model with the claret detailing and I can’t wait. The blue one looks so great with that dress.

18. melafrique says:

just had my lovely sonnet bliss delivered today and its beautiful. Cant wait to go out on it. Love love love.

19. … [Trackback]…

[...] Informations on that Topic: letsgorideabike.com/blog/2010/06/beautiful-bicycles-pashley-sonnet-bliss-yes-again/ [...]…

20. barkingdog says:

I have a number of bikes from carbon race bikes to mountain/commuter bikes. Today I rode my Pashley roadster that I have owned for years and I am now trying to figure out why I ride anything else. It isn’t the fastest, but certainly the most elegant and enjoyable. If you are still considering a Pashley, don’t hesitate. There isn’t anything like it!

21. I SO dream of a pashley…. but which one to choose? I am thinking on the Pashley Sonnet Bliss with the claret…. but the longer I have to wait the harder the choice becomes! The Britannia in blue or red are also heavenly!! Still can only dream, as I haven’t the funds to make it a reality.. YET… but no other bike will do! It has to be a Pashley….
    Did you ever get your Pashley? Or is it still a thing of your dreams too?

• LGRAB says:

Still no Pashley for me. Good luck with your acquisition planning. I agree the hardest part (well, after gathering the funds) is deciding which version to choose.

• Beth Wearring-Smith says:

I got one!! Well a Pashley Britannia in red!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! she is called Betty and is fabulous :) I had been trying to decide between this and the cranberry and cream sonnet, my local store reduced one by a good amount so it sort of helped my final decision making!! Found a wonderful retro pletscher to put on the back of her and some pretty cream and rose print panniers :) Only the best for Betty!!

22. spacemodular says:

A couple of other nice classic options for less: