Carry a Load on Your Bike!

On the way home from work today, I met Mr. Dottie for a bulk food run. We were fresh out of the huge jar of fancy olives! We usually don’t grocery shop by bike because we live a block from a nice store, but we will go out of our way for a great deal on peanut butter: that’s where Costco comes in.

Bulk Grocery Run

The magnitude of this trip did not come close to our last haul with the bakfiets. Since we don’t own a bakfiets, most of our trips involve a basket, panniers and a few select bulk products. Our acquisitions today included 24 bottles of Two Brothers local craft brew (on Greg’s back rack), 4 lbs of organic strawberries, 6 lbs of yogurt, 4 lbs of raw nuts, 3 lbs of chicken sausage and 2 lbs of hummus. Yummy!

Beer Rack

The bikes handled the loads perfectly. A good test ride for the bike-camping trip we’re going on with Melissa and Chanh this weekend!

This is going down as a Summer Games, Part II Learning Experience: Carry a load on your bike.

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Carry a Load on Your Bike!

1. Amy says:

Nice! Good thing you live somewhere flat. I would NEVER be able to get that load up my street.

2. cycler says:

Six pounds of yogurt and 2 pounds of hummus. Wow!
    I don’t think it would be possible to for us to eat 6 pounds of yogurt before it turned…

3. dave says:

mmm, fancy olives…

if you’re interested, we just posted a recipe for strawberry freezer jam… http://givetothewheat.blogspot.com.

it’s surprising how normal and easy shopping by bike can get. l don’t even think about it anymore, it’s a given.

4. dukiebiddle says:

I spy a bike chain and tube converted into a saddle lock. Smart. *thumbs up*

5. Scott says:

You guys are champs. Where are you going bike camping?

• Dottie says:

A forest preserve in the ‘burbs. Nothing too adventurous, just some place easy to get to with a combo of bike and metra train. :)

6. Jeremy says:

Going on bike camping trip? I approve! I was just out for 2 weeks on the bike in western mountains of NC, and can attest to the joys and challenges and joys of meeting the challenges of bike touring. Where you going?

7. Dave says:

There are few better uses for a rear rack on a bicycle than carrying a case of beer.

Good uses for a back rack

8. Jenny says:

Dottie, what kind of panniers is it you have on Betty?

• Dottie says:

The panniers are Appalachian or something like that. I bought them from my local bike shop for my Jamis when I first started commuting. I used one side for work materials and the other side for clothes. I stopped using them after a while because they are such a pain to haul around and have no should strap. Using a basket and bag is so much easier for me. But they hold a lot for stuff like grocery trips, although they would not be my first choice for that purpose.

9. Andrew Duthie says:

Have you considered getting (or building) a simple trailer for doing big grocery runs? I’ve not pulled one myself yet, but they certainly seem like a decent solution for the occasional big-hauling trip. (Until you can afford a cargo bike, anyway!)

• Dottie says:

Greg was looking into something like that, but we haven’t decided yet. It would make sense, although I’d rather hold out for a bakfiets :)

10. Alison says:

What type of helmet do you have? I love the color.