My Nashville Menagerie

Who says you need to live in the country to spot animals along your commute? Every day I see exotic wildlife:

pink flamingos are classic lawn decor: It's 5 o'clock in Margaritaville

these lions are fierce

Duck in the foreground, steer at the back

What curiosities have you found along your commute?

p.s. if you’ve noticed a change in the quality of my pictures in recent days, it’s all thanks to my Canon PowerShot S90, the new love of my life. Dottie, Greg and several of my other friends went in together to get it for my birthday—best surprise ever! I highly recommend it for dabblers like me who value portability and will never learn quite enough about photography to justify springing for a DSLR.

Tagged , , , , , ,

14 thoughts on “My Nashville Menagerie

1. I like the random menagerie; who would imagine someone would have a house with those lions! I, unfortunately, have been seeing more than my share of city rats. They have gotten bold lately!

2. Carolyn I. says:

I have the Canon G5 and I just love it! Canon makes great quality cameras…

3. Maria says:

Forever, I mean FOREVER, I’ve wanted to big stone pig for my yard and on my way to work there’s a big stone pig. sigh. Tomorrow = pictures!

4. bobbi says:

Hello!!! I’m happy I found your blog (via noodles and waffles) I love bikes…
    I love stone ducks. I’m planning to buy one for my garden!

• Trisha says:

Glad you are here, Bobbi! I do think the stone duck is my favorite of these. It’s one of a pair but unfortunately the other one’s head has been smashed . . . urban life is hard on wildlife!

5. I love this! Rarrrr! ;)

6. Dottie says:

This is awesome! Now I’m trying to think if there are any “animals” along my commute route. None come to mind, but I’ll have to keep an eye out for them this morning.

7. Cathy says:

I love your menagerie. I passed a carousel horse yesterday. Not much else in the way of lawn animals.

8. Beany says:

This morning I saw a black man with a Hitler mustache. It looked comical. He happily waved to me from the sidewalk (he was walking) and I happily waved back.

9. Dave says:

There are a bunch of houses with stuff like this in Portland too – not along my commute route so much, but they are around. Lots of people with weird things in the windows too, like old manikins (or parts of them), cardboard cutouts of people, or other things (I should remember to take some pictures of them in the near future!

Cheers!

10. Dottie says:

Less than an hour after I commented that I rarely see animals on my commute, I passed a horse-drawn carriage in the bike lane. I should have stopped to take a picture! :)

11. katie says:

your pictures DO look better. I’ve been looking for a nice easy to use point-and-shoot myself… I might spring for yours!