LGRAB Summer Games, Part II: Learning Experiences

Well, the first phase of the LGRAB Summer Games is over, and we have had a blast reading and sharing your incredible, inspiring entries–more than 50, at last count! We’ll be drawing for the first round of prizes tonight, so be sure to get your entries in by noon today if you want to be included.

The Learning Experiences portion of the contest starts today, and I’ve been looking forward to this one. Even non-bike owners can participate, since two of the events don’t necessitate having a bike of your own. My bikes are especially excited at the prospect of me performing a maintenance task. I am especially excited about test-riding a different type of bike: drop bars, here I come.  Ladies and gentlemen, your challenge awaits.

June 7-June 27: Learning Experiences

• Perform a maintenance task — big or small!
  • Decorate your bike
  • Read a book about cycling
  • Carry a load on your bike — groceries, etc.
  • Test ride a different type of bike than you normally ride

Prizes for this round (to be awarded to anyone who plays in Part II) include a Mark’s Rack from Rivendell, a canvas utility pannier from Minnehaha and a Bates Crate. Winners will be determined by random drawing on July 29. As always, email us your blog links or your stories and photos using the subject line “Summer Games Part II Entry” (and don’t forget to check out our Flickr group). Don’t forget that you must complete two events in each round to be eligible for the grand prize of a Batavus BuB. See our original post for complete details.

Thanks to all the sponsors and players! You can drool over the complete prize list here.

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “LGRAB Summer Games, Part II: Learning Experiences

1. Carolyn I. says:

Yeh! Can’t wait to send more photos in. It’s making this Spring/Summer a really fun one! Thanks for doing this Dottie and Trisha, for all your hard work getting sponsors.

2. Nadine says:

I’m joining late, but I plan to participate for parts two and three!

3. Margo says:

Bates Crate– drool! All of these prizes are pretty amazing, but as I’ve said before, the Games are turning out to be such fun that they’re really their own reward!

4. cycler says:

I’ve got the contact info for the Pennyfarthing guys I met at the Victorian spring jubilee- I’m hoping to meet up with them for a test ride….

5. Summer Games, Part II, let’s DO THIS!! ;)

6. Amy says:

I’m excited to see what kind of maintenance task you will be performing! Especially since I failed at my last maintenance task: removal of cotters from crank arms. I’m going to have to drill them out, which makes me a little squeamish.

7. Maria says:

Can’t wait to move on to phase 2. I already have a few ideas in my head. Thanks for doing this!!

8. LC says:

I did have a second entry for Part I (I managed to speak to a fellow cyclist at a red light in the end yay!) but it was nothing particularly exciting really ;) but I am reeeaaallllyyyy looking forward to Part II as I plan to have one entry for each category (wow!)…. happy cycling everyone! L x

9. Cosmo says:

I am loving the Bates Crates. Do small(or large) humans or medium to large sized pets count as a load?

I love that this is getting me out an about when my inclination is to stay at home and sleep until I get my waist back.

10. donnarino says:

those Bates crates are genius! I’d never seen them before.

11. Thanks Dottie and Trisha for organizing this. It is really so much fun. I loved phase I and I’m so excited about phase II!

12. Evie says:

Man, if I didn’t already have a basket for my bike, I would purchase a Bates crate in a heartbeat! Gorgeous and functional = perfection!

13. Oh, how fun!!!! This sounds like so much fun :D:D

14. Kara says:

Oh yes! Phase II is on!

Question: Is it valid to do something that is not on the list and still have it count? For instance, learning a new bike skill? That seems to go under Learning Experiences but is not specifically on the list.

• Trisha says:

It must be one of the items on the list to be eligible for the contest, but feel free to create your own task for extra credit. :)

15. Academichic says:

Hey you two,

looking forward to Part II! I was wondering whether you had some bike reading suggestions, since one of the tasks is reading a book about cycling? I would love some reading tips if you have some good ones you’d like to share!

I recently came across this anthology in my research on late 19th century women’s lives (I was looking into fitness and mobility for women and the bike of course played a key role in that). I enjoyed the different essays and would definitely recommend this collection:

Cycling and Society. Eds. Dave Horton, Paul Rosen and Peter Cox. Burlington: Ashgate, 2007

The essays are all on different topics and not too theoretical, I think your readers here might enjoy them as well.

Looking forward to any tips you might have!
    Thanks, S.

16. jodycb says:

Oh no? Am I too late for summer games? I got behind on my everything the last few months.

17. [...] second leg of the LGRAB Summer Games contest has begun! For this challenge I have merged to tasks into one by reading some classic bike [...]

18. [...] to add it to your feed reader, Dottie has really nice legs. Ahem. Anyway, they’re having Summer Games! With prizes! I missed the first round, but round 2 has just started and this little post about cotton bar tape [...]