Sunny Side Up

Given that Jerk Season has become our most commented post in record time, I figured I’d take this opportunity to highlight the sunny side of cycling. The sunny side is much bigger than the dark fringes!

On Wednesday, I had the great pleasure of meeting Cherilyn of Bike Bliss. She, her husband and their 3 sons were visiting Chicago as part of their mini Midwestern tour. A beautiful family all on bicycles! She and I broke away for a leisurely ride along the lakefront and a great discussion of how important the online community is for supporting people – especially women – who may not have a supportive network in their hometowns.

Cherilyn of Bike Bliss

Last Sunday, me, Greg, Amanda, Arielle and a whole fun group enjoyed a picnic dinner party in an urban park. My rhubarb-discovery summer continued with Amanda’s delicious homemade rhubarb pie.

Arielle and her bike Ruby

Amanda, her boyfriend and their bikes

Amanda's Rhubarb Pie

Amanda's awesome picnic basket

I’ll put these rides down as my “Schedule a bike date with a friend or partner — dress up!” event for the Summer Games :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

15 thoughts on “Sunny Side Up

1. Anne Hawley says:

The sunny side IS much bigger than the dark edges, but still, it feels good to get the Jerk Season annoyance off your chest now and then, doesn’t it?

That picnic basket is lovely. I’d sure like to know how it’s affixed to the rear rack. And where she got it!

2. Carolyn I. says:

You can’t let the Jerks knock us down. Despite them, bicycling is the best! Beside, no matter what you do in life, there are jerks everywhere, not just when you ride your bike. At least we are better then them… :)

Love the picnic basket..I have one for the bike..keep meaning to put it on. I will use it for a picnic sometimes…perhaps for the Summer Games.

3. Dave says:

That is a great basket, and looks like a wonderful time! We had a fantastic ride today, and now off to do some gardening. Life on two wheels, despite the occasional mishap, is really brilliant.

4. I like the sunny side of cycling too! I feel so good riding that I try to focus more on that than possible dangers or negative interactions. I feel so clever too now that I discovered a shortcut on my morning commute that takes me behind a shopping plaza and cuts out about half of my interactions with cars.

5. Su Yin says:

Hurrah for another lady in a skirt with a diamond frame bike!

6. Cherilyn says:

Thanks so much for the lovely pic and for taking the time to ride with me, Dottie! It was great to see the city through your eyes.

Su Yin–I dream of a step-through, but I’m using what I have! Even when I test-ride a cruiser, I still hike my leg over the frame.

Nice job on the basket!

• Su Yin says:

Thank you! I went from a step-through to a diamond frame and couldn’t be happier with the bike but every now and then I wish I had a step-through :)

7. Cherilyn says:

Dottie–So sorry to hear about your Jerk Season escapades. I always get really angry and then wish I could channel the Dalai Lama in these instances. What would HE do? Or Mother Theresa? :)

I’ve had a lot of success in blowing these dolts a kiss or just smiling and waving–when I can remember to choose that path instead of flipping them off. It makes them think I couldn’t hear them, and then I’m on my way. Teaching myself not to engage in anger is one of the biggest lessons of my life. Hang in there.

8. Val says:

I have to agree with the group consensus of “oooh! picnic basket!”. I’m off to search the house for one I can use. A friend is having a potluck-picnic birthday party and this would be the perfect way to bring my food along.

9. Ann says:

I’m not a fan of pie, but there was a big rhubarb patch here when I bought this house. Not liking things go to waste, I’ve developed my own recipes for savory as well as sweet sauces using my rhubarb. So, don’t just think of using rhubarb in pies, experiment. Now please send some sun to the northwest–we’re stuck in a cold, rainy pattern and everything in my two greenhouses are refusing to grow. (We’ve literally had rain almost daily for the past 3 1/2 weeks and temps in the 50s and 60s.)

10. welshcyclist says:

I seem to be able to discern a verifiable fact, all the womenfolk in your part of the world, who ride bikes, are lovely.

11. AJ says:

oooh, how did I miss this post before now?! the picnic was lovely & I’m glad you and Greg made it! We’re talking about doing a mid-summer ice cream social next…. and by then I’ll have a BIKE OF MY OWN! it’ll be great fun.