Let the Games Begin! Part I: Social Cycling

Ladies and gentlemen, the Summer Games officially begin today. First up, the Social Cycling category. Local events going on during National Bike Month might make this even easier for you (for example, I plan on getting my group ride in on Nashville’s Bike to Work day this Friday).

Over the next three weeks, you need to complete at least two events from the following list. Be creative with combining events, but please go on at least two separate rides. Once you have completed your events, there are two ways to enter:

1) Email us links to your blog posts detailing the activities; or

2) Email us your story and photographs.

Please use the subject line [Summer Games - Part I]. At any time, you can also upload your photos to our Summer Games Flickr pool. By entering, you give us permission to publish your content here.

Remember, you must complete two events from each of the three categories (six events total between now and July 18) to be entered to win the Batavus BuB.  However, those who compete in this category – Part I: Social Cycling – will be eligible to win a set of Clarijs Panniers (My Dutch Bike), a Terry Botanika flare skort and Euro Halter (Terry Bicycles) or a Nutcase helmet (Nutcase). Prize winners will be determined by random drawing on June 8. A huge thank you to the sponsors for their support of bike fun!

Ready, set, RIDE!

May 17-June 6: Social Cycling

• Go on a group ride
  • Leave a friendly note on a bike, or say hi to a cyclist at a red light
  • Schedule a bike date with a friend or partner — dress up!
  • Recruit a non-biking friend for a ride
  • Take a ride with your family
Tagged , , , , , , , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Let the Games Begin! Part I: Social Cycling

1. [...] and three (‘New Territory’) as well. Fellow cycle enthusiasts, make sure to check out Lets Go Ride a Bike for full event details and your chance to win a Batavus BuB! Category: Our Best Flatware, Pants [...]

2. Vee says:

we had our town group ride yesterday- does that count?? :-) 3 mi in the sorte up hill. pretty please? will blog it today.

3. Dottie says:

I’m ready! Too bad I can’t win any of the prizes ;)

4. Carolyn I. says:

We have our Critical Mass on Friday. That’s a group ride. :) Plus small group ride 65 kms out of town.

Yeh, too bad Dottie. ;)

Let the Games begin! I am so excited about this.

5. Academichic says:

Woohoo! And we’re off! S

6. cycler says:

Can we get John Williams to write a theme song?

7. Dave says:

Does it count if your ride home from work turns into a group ride? :) It’s been happening lately :)

8. Annie says:

I’m so excited!!!

9. Beany says:

I have a bike date with a friend this weekend. I can’t wait.

10. Cherilyn says:

Already completed a two group rides and a family ride over the weekend! Another group ride up for tonight, and we’ll be fitting a lot more family rides in the days to come. Yay!

Love the theme song idea.

11. David says:

I did a family ride Sunday, to a farmers market. But I didn’t take pictures, darn. I’m out.

12. Jessica says:

Consider joining the Car-Free Challenge June 1 through June 7 and work together to show that a critical mass of people want to drive less and live more!

If you live near San Francisco, there are even fun events that you can attend throughout the Challenge: http://transformca.org/car-free-challenge/parties

For more information, check out http://www.thecarfreechallenge.org

13. [...] is my first entry in the Let’s Go Ride a Bike Summer Games in the “Social Cycling” category. I’m so excited to play along, and I hope that many of you all will be participating [...]

14. Jessie says:

We just hosted a fun “bike” party for the area tots. Trikes, racecars, scooters, balance bike ect. The kiddos age 7months to 5yrs. all came out for a fun social bike day. We plan on hosting this at least once a season. Its great to see the joy and freedom the kids get from biking together. A plus is many moms are really taking to the idea of biking. A few moms discussed getting their kids on bikes earlier then they thought, and a couple are going out to buy trailers to tote the kiddos around!
    In the next couple of weeks we plan on hosting a mommy/daddy and me tweed ride. Should make for some great photos. Bike on everyone.