Connecting with Fortworthology

The power of the online bicycling community strikes again.

Stephanie and Kevin with Greg in the Windy City

On Sunday, we met Stephanie and Kevin of Fortworthology for a delicious dinner in Greektown. They were in Chicago for a stop-over during a vacation trip from Fort Worth to Portland and back via Amtrak. What a cool way to travel! The train ride is four days each way, with the convenience of a sleeping car.

Fortworthology is a site dedicated to encouraging and chronicling smart urban growth in Fort Worth, Texas. Things are looking up for the city after a long history of suburban sprawl – in February the Fort Worth City Council unanimously approved a comprehensive bike plan.

In addition to writing the blog, Kevin also does awesome photography. We spent a while geeking over his iPhone and its polaroid and lomography photo apps (iPhoneography pics here). Also, their iPads, which I now want desperately.

Meeting like-minded people from another part of the country was wonderful. Their optimism and commitment to improving their hometown is inspiring. The whole country is really catching on to bicycling as a means of transportation. With the power of the internet, we can now connect with others for support and information-sharing, which adds incredible momentum to the movement.

{I also enjoyed meeting reader Jeffrey at Copenhagen Cyclery! Hi – you’re so sweet!}

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

6 thoughts on “Connecting with Fortworthology

1. Doohickie says:

Now that I know for sure what Stephanie looks like, I know I’ve seen Kevin several times this spring. I met him once and we talked, and I’ve seen him a few times since then, but I was never sure enough it was him to go by and say hi.

Kevin’s blog has put the Fairmount neighborhood here in Fort Worth at the top of our list for when we eventually get our act together and move out of our current home.

2. Vee says:

and it certainly is windy. wow- it’s like a prof pic with a fan blowing!

3. Sigrid says:

Nice photos! I spent some nice days in my old life of work in Fort Worth. I really enjoyed myself there and the people I met, and the heat felt so GREAT during those cool SF summers.

4. Trisha says:

Dude. More bike bloggers need to come to Nashville! I’m getting jealous and feeling lonely down here. ;-)

5. Annalisa says:

One of the trips I’d love to do is Chicago to Glacier National Park, which is the only national park that you can get to directly on Amtrak. Once you’re there, you can bike and hike between campsites or lodges. Pretty fantastic.

6. Steve A says:

It is an EXCELLENT blog, even if I’m not particularly a fan of the FW Bike plan. They are often my first notice of stuff I care about. Hey, you ought to stick to stuff NORTH of the Mason Dixon line, er, I guess they WERE north of that line so thanks!