Bicycling – A Best Kept Secret

Today was one of those perfect bike commuting days. The sky was crisp and clear, the sun shone brilliantly and the temperature was chilly enough to prevent sweating. I relished my ride along the Lakefront Trail, pedaling slowly and listening to the sweet jams of She & Him. Refreshing!

Also, I’ve had extra fun running into a few different people I know through this blog (howdy! you know who you are :))

On days like these, I can’t imagine why everyone does not ride a bicycle everywhere. This is like the best kept secret ever!

If you’re searching for some extra (not so secret) joy this weekend and live in Santa Barbara, check out this lovely Cycle Chic Fashion Show via Bike by the Sea. If you’re in Chicago, maybe I’ll see you at the Go Dutch Go Bike ride on Saturday with the Bicycle Goddess Brigade. Email if you’re interested in meeting up to ride together.

{I took all of these photos in Chicago’s Millennium Park, which I described in detail here.}

Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

20 thoughts on “Bicycling – A Best Kept Secret

1. Steve A says:

Your flowers in Chicago are nearly as sweet as their Texas cousins! I never thought of Chicago as a flower place before…

2. Cherilyn says:

Very nice! Still snowing here in Montana, and we’re going more than a bit crazy.

3. Carolyn I. says:

Chicago looks pretty in the Spring. Blossoms coming out here too, got to enjoy Spring while you can!

• Dottie says:

Carolyn, I’m so excited to see that you started a blog! I’ve been thinking for a year now that you totally need a blog to share all of your bicycling adventures. Welcome to the fold :)

4. KC says:

i actually started looking into buying a bike for the summer season. It is so warm in NC and I would love to hop on a bike rather then my hot car! Great pictures!
    xoxo
    KC

5. David says:

Hi KC, I would just like to say, as Dottie/Trish have said before, to those that aren’t yet commuting, but are on the edge. That, it’s really not that bad! I’ve heard that from others. Well, I go 25mi a day. Don’t do that unless you’re already athletic and love working out. But if your’e under 10 mi one way, it’s so doable. I know, it seems crazy when you think about all the riding, traffic, sweating, bike maintenance, etc.. But visit other blogs as well, and realize how much money you save, even if you spend money on your bike. Does LGRAB have an “advantages” page, like other blogs? Realize, biking is not dangerous. It’s more dangerous to sit on your ass and get heart disease or something.

When you get on that bike in the summer, it feels like you’re flying! It really is a shame that everyone is not on a bike. What a great machine it is. And you provide the fuel. No wars are needed.

Keep up the great blog Trish and Dot! Inspire as many peeps as you can to ride.

6. David says:

I actually have rented a bike along the coast of Santa Barbara, just a couple years ago. Also did a little surfing. Oh, but don’t tell my company, I was out for work, and the customer gave me surfing lessons at UCSB.

Seemed kinda of like a small place, for cycling. Sure is beautiful though. Don’t tease me with these links.

7. Vince says:

Hope you have the free She & Him show at Pritzker Pavilion on June 7 on your calendar!

8. jane says:

Lovely pictures… I love those days too, where every time you pass someone in a car or on foot or whatever you just think that they must actually be pretty much crazy not to be cycling. I’ve been listening to She & Him all week, both albums… I can’t get their tunes out of my head, yet another reason I’m always so excited for my bike ride! Enjoy your ride on Saturday, sounds great!

9. Julz says:

Beautiful pictures! Yeah, it’s our little secret :)

10. I always love your photos. They preserve such beautiful images of the city, its flowers and the way bikes interact with it all. They will be a treasure to look back on.

11. Daniella says:

I hope we get a perfect bike riding day soon! It’s been so crazy windy lately going up hill is a bit of a challenge for me, lol… need more leg muscle!

12. oh, completely agree. on beautiful days, i look forward to my bike ride to and from school more than anything else.
    and the lakefront looks GORGEOUS!

13. Dave says:

It was gorgeous here today, too. After the nutso spring weather we’ve had lately, I think we deserved it :) It felt soooo nice to be out, and I agree, it’s hard to imagine how anyone could keep off their bike on a day like this, I think I would try my hardest to find a way to make it happen no matter what! :)

Looking East

Waterfront Park

Burnsider

14. EdLark says:

Really like your photography, Dottie. Makes me feel guilty that I don’t do a better job of carrying a camera with me (and actually using it when I do).

Yesterday was a perfect day for riding. This morning with the thunderstorms . . . not so much.

15. E A says:

It was great! (except the wind in my face for the ride home) Gr.
    Love that last photo.

16. eva says:

OK so had to let you know that all of your beautiful commuting pictures have inspired me to get back on the program and bike to/from work.

My commute it a moderately hilly 30 miles .. wish me luck as i will kick it off today at 5!

xoxo

17. Maria says:

The trees around Denver seem(ed) to have extra blooming power this year. It was glorious! One friend commented, about the crab in her back yard, “This thing is dripping color!”

18. Annalisa says:

Dottie, I love that bag on your rack in the photo (as well as that Betty Foy – have my eye on one!). Who makes that bag? THANKS!

19. [...] in Portland. Days like this make me wonder, how could you not be out on a bicycle? Is bicycling the best kept secret in the U.S.? Days like this are made specifically for feeling the wind in your hair, smelling [...]