Pop and Culture

I rode my bike 15 miles on Saturday, wearing a dress and boots, naturally. The rain stayed away for my ride, although the fog and wind were quite harsh.  I pumped myself up by pulling out my iPod on the bike path. The thumping beats of Lady Gaga and Kate Nash made me push myself harder and I accidentally got quite a workout.  I cooled down comfortably after five minutes of sitting on a park bench among the falling cherry blossoms.

My destination was the Art Institute of Chicago downtown. I met up with Melissa, who took the train from the suburbs, to see the temporary Matisse exhibit. Six rooms of Matisse was pure joy! I love Matisse. The exhibit was especially fun with such a cool friend, up for games such as, “Which do you like better?” and “Was he mad at his wife when he painted that portrait?”

Melissa the Muse

A little bit of pop, a little bit of culture, a whole lot of biking – that’s my kind of day.

More awesome rainy city adventures today, but that story will have to wait. I hope everyone else is having a good weekend!

Tagged , , , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “Pop and Culture

1. Kerri says:

Gorgeous pics! The first one solidified my obsession with that bag.

2. Renae says:

Wow! I’m in love with the first photo. It’s just gorgeous :)

3. My sweetie and I had a lovely ride this afternoon. Sunny and a little windy but not too hot. It was wonderful!!!

4. Trisha says:

Beautiful pics! I wish I could have played along with you guys.

5. Sox says:

I’ve been hearing some great things about the Chicago Institute of Art from a friend who has driven down to visit a couple of times.
    It is now on my list of places I want to go.

YOur photos, as always, are gorgeous.

6. Miss Sarah says:

When my friend Emma and I went to see Matisse in Bath (England) there was an art trolley where we created our own Matisse inspired cut outs.

I’ll email you mine. It’s pretty hilarious.

7. katie says:

Funny that you say that you “accidentally” got a workout! haha

8. eva says:

these pictures a stunning, really! wow!

9. Maria says:

What a beautiful day in the park. And the exhibit sounds amazing.

I posted my photos of Millicent. I’m definitely interested in hearing what you think.

Lulu Letty

10. Melissa S. says:

It was a great time! Wish I could’ve brought Smufette!

11. Rosko says:

Great photos once again, Miss Dottie. Your stories make me wish I were one of your friends, as you seem to know the coolest people, and have the best times. Hopefully there will be a ride where we will meet up. I’ve started commuting by bike a few times a week (building up endurance since I’ve been out of the saddle for a few years), and am hoping to get a little more into bicycle culture in Chicagoland.

12. Simeon says:

Enjoying reading and looking at the photos on your blog over past few weeks on Saturday six of us when for our 40 mile cycle club ride following Salter Fell Road(which is old Roman Road) through the hills of the Forest of Bowland in North West England here a link http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/2010photogallery/photo-24th-april.html to photos of the ride.

13. Carolyn I. says:

You take such wonderful photos, an inspiration to all of us!

14. Daniella says:

Oh my gosh! I’m new to your blog and your bike is soooo cute! I am about to get a vintage bike this weekend to fix… one my Nonno brought over from Italy years ago! I’ll be back to visit!

15. Dwainedibbly says:

Wonderful photos! The 4th one is brilliant!

16. George says:

Hi Dottie,

wow..your pics are awesome and very inspiring.

Two questions though:
    1. What kind of Camera do you use? mini? slr?
    2. Weren’t you drenched in sweat after 15 miles???

• Dottie says:

Hi George. Thank you! I took these photos with a Nikon D3000 (a dslr) with a 35mm 1.8f lens. I was somewhat sweaty after riding in the swampy fog and fierce wind, but cooled down nicely while taking these pictures. The temperature is pretty cool in Chicago, in the 50’s F. If there had been no wind to fight against, I would not have been sweaty (and I sweat a lot, so that’s saying something).