April Showers

April showers have arrived to mess up everyone’s weekend plans, but I’ve decided not to give in. After riding home from work yesterday in the rain, I changed into a fresh dress, donned my raincoat and headed out on the town with Elizabeth. Our destination was a music venue several miles north and soon rain began pouring. After meeting up with Ms. Elle and enjoying the show, we rode home through a steady rain at 2 a.m. And guess what? We had a blast.

The thought crossed my mind that most people – unbikey people – would consider riding a total of 12 miles through a rainstorm in the middle of the night to be extreme. For me and my friends, all of this was perfectly natural. It just was, and I really dug that.

Now I’m off for more city adventures. Maybe the rain will hold off during my ride.

Tagged , , , , ,

18 thoughts on “April Showers

1. kdt says:

Good attitude, Dottie! I noticed that same way of thinking when cycling last summer in Copenhagen. It rained. They rode. Got a little wet. No big deal.

2. Dave says:

I also love that about riding – it just is. It’s not extreme, it’s not some super-human act, it’s not crazy or difficult or weird. It just is.

You just get on and pedal.

3. I am so glad you said hi on my blog so that I could find yours! I love it, and you have really inspired me to get my vintage and rusty cruiser fixed up very soon so I can ride through the rain too!!

4. Herzog says:

I highly recommend using an umbrella when it rains!

5. We get lots of afternoon rain showers during the summer, so I’m feeling better about dealing it with thanks to you!

:) Laura

6. Aaron says:

I actually looked forward to riding in the rain this week. I was disappointed Thursday morning when I missed the rain during my commute but got the full experience Friday morning.

Ranking the forces of nature from best to worst, I’d go with: rain, wind, snow (though it’s not the snow — it’s the drivers). Of course, I really like thunderstorms, so that might explain my preference for rain. One of the coolest parts of my ride from Boulder to Chicago last summer was the string of fantastic storms I encountered on the plains.

That said, I can’t get myself to venture out for a fun ride when I’m home and it’s raining; I always need an excuse of somewhere to go. Oddly, though, I will venture out into my lower-ranked forces of nature: I try not to let wind stop me, and I go for trail rides in the snow (on a unicycle).

• Aaron says:

How funny: I put a mock HTML tag for “ramble” around the second and third paragraphs, but your blog software stripped them away, probably interpreting the tag as invalid HTML.

7. David says:

Well as they (bicyclists) say: There’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes.

8. anna says:

Like that. I do, however, prefer showers in the summer when it’s warmer :).

9. Kit Cat says:

Dottie – can you take a picture of yourself in your rain gear? Just curious as to how one should best dress for the rain. THANKS! :)

10. welshcyclist says:

Some of my best rides have been in the rain, it’s about being out there, as part of nature, isn’t it fantastic, that we bicyclists don’t get put off doing things, going places whether it’s dark, raining or not.

11. Steve A says:

“unbikey people?” Isn’t that MOST people? That being said, as long as my feet stay dry and there’s no lightning, I LOVE rain rides.

12. ridon says:

rode home from work on friday as it started drizzling. i knew this was a possibility when i set out in the morning, but thought the rain would start much later in the night. besides getting my jeans soaked, my helmet kept most of the rain off my glasses. i really wished i had rubber pedals, because it was a little slippery. i wouldn’t do it in a downpour, it would cloud my glasses too much!

13. It’s been cold & rainy in sunny Santa Barbara and I have been so inclined to just not bike at night…but I saw your post and it gave me the encouragement I was needing! I dressed warmly and had a great time going to listen to life music and enjoy a few beers! Thanks/Gracias!

14. k - says:

Wow, I’ve got to say that I’m impressed that you rode last night: in my part of Chicago (Andersonville), it was so insanely windy that a huge ash tree was ripped down and crushed a car, and the rain was wicked-heavy.

On a related note, are there any glasses wearers out there with tips on riding in the rain with specs? I don’t mind getting a little wet, but I find not being able to see frustrating and hazardous.

• dukiebiddle says:

Any hat with a significant visor or bill. Visors can be super important and a critical piece of safety equipment for any eastward ride in the morning, westward ride in the evening, or any situation involving rain. Personally, I think it’s the most important piece of safety equipment and the one most likely to minimize risks and dangers.

/preaching

• Scott says:

Amen to keeping one’s glasses dry during rain; it’s wicked dangerous not to be able to see. Brooklyn Industries on Milwaukee had some cycling-style ladies caps in various materials that might work for you.

• Step-Through says:

Definitely the hat. I wear wool felt caps in the rain/snow in winter. I’m shopping for a good summer hat right now. The only trick is to keep it from blowing off – barrettes or elastic bands really help.