A Tranquil Spring Commute in Nashville

Sometimes I wish I lived in a city with more of a cycling community. In other cities, there are more bike lanes. In other cities, at least in the spring and summer,  I might not be the only person riding a Dutch bike in heels.

But mostly, I appreciate Nashville — and my commute. While we might not have the infrastructure and density to allow me to bike everywhere, we do have lovely, quiet neighborhoods; considerate drivers; the occasional bike lane and a slowly growing cycling community.

redbird, redbud

I remember that I don’t like traffic, be it cyclists or cars. And there’s something to be said for a commute on city streets that is still quiet enough to let you stop and smell the flowers.

Lilacs

Is there anything more beautiful than spring in the Southeast?

Iris, the Tennessee state flower

Tagged , ,

27 thoughts on “A Tranquil Spring Commute in Nashville

1. elizabeth says:

i love that your tights match the redbuds!

2. So pretty! I love all the colors of spring!

3. Michelle B. says:

No worries. When I ride in in true Dutch style ready for work all I see is spandex clad riders around me. At least I look good when I am riding! :)

4. Kara says:

Oh what a pretty spring day! I agree with you. I don’t like traffic of any kind. I feel like SLC has a pretty good mixture of bike lanes and quiet streets. So, so far, I am able to get by.

5. Anne Hawley says:

A lovely post, and your redbird/redbud capture is especially wonderful.

I live in a VERY cycle-friendly place, and I’m still among the few on my commute route with an upright bike of any kind, let alone a Dutch bike. It IS nice to pass through quiet, blooming neighborhoods, isn’t it? The Dutch bike seems especially suited to that.

• Trisha says:

I saw that and thought it was just too perfect. It’s definitely something you would miss being in a car. And yes, you’re right that even in more bike-friendly places it would be unlikely to see a Dutch bike. Really, 90% of the time I am happy with what I have.

6. Lorenza says:

lovely photos and the redbird/redbud is gorgeous especially against the background of that lovely building! Also in my commute route (to work) so far I am the only lady (yes really) of the regulars that I encounter, on a sit-up-straight bike wearing normal clothes lol! Sometimes I get more stares from other lycra-clad cyclists than the drivers, but that’s why I like this cycling community of ours :D keeps me company! plus to be fair towards the city centre there is a lot more of the gentle and fun cycling culture :) x

• Trisha says:

Thanks Lorenza! I love the historic homes in my neighborhood. I can’t believe you’re the only lady on your commute! I see other women sometimes, though they’re rarely dressed like me — and like you, I think I get more looks from other cyclists sometimes than drivers. But hey, who wants to be like everyone else, right? ;)

7. Academichic says:

Good for you for not letting the lack of companionship on the road stop you from commuting in a way that is important to you! And that picture of the redbird is so pretty!

S

• Trisha says:

Well, it’s funny, one of the things that I have learned about myself through bicycle commuting is that I don’t mind being different. I suppose getting older has changed my attitude about that too. :)

8. Dave says:

I love a quiet commute as well.

Happy Spring!

9. Beany says:

Trish: I can so relate to how you feel. very little bike infrastructure, few but definitely a growing bicycle community and a very pretty commute.

Nashville looks sooo pretty. I need to visit sometime. Perhaps next Spring.

10. Tricia,

I’m sure many women in your area see you on your bike and think of you as a role model.

11. Vee says:

I also enjoy a quiet commute. I think my biking has really gotten my to embrace small(er) town living. If I hit the right streets it’s really quiet and chill and makes me feel like I’m 11 all over again.

12. Irises and lilacs are some of my favourite flowers. And I like how your tights match the blossoms!

13. Dweendaddy says:

I’ll be joining the ranks this fall. Lookout for me or my wife cruising with our kids in our new Joebike boxbike… or on our other commuters. Sara put up some pictures on her blog fullhands- check ‘em out. .

14. Dottie's Gram Bev says:

Nice photos! I also wish my city was more bike friendly, sigh!

15. JazzBoy says:

It looks beautiful there. The growing cycling community may be a little inspired by cyclists like yourselves. Hopefully this inspiration will also lead to more utility bicycles out there vs the sport machines that are still a majority.

16. donna says:

Be thankful you don’t live in Toronto which is still stuck with 1950s infrastructure. There’s an election on the way and the best the candidates can do is pit drivers and cyclists against each other. Read some of the nonsense in the comments

17. Step-Through says:

I hear you! I’ve been blogging about my trip to Philadelphia – I saw an astounding number of women, vintage roadsters, and and few Dutch-style bicycles. It was like visiting Candyland or something!!

18. Dottie says:

I’m joining Trisha’s tights’ fan club. Bright pink tights look so springy with those open-toed heels. I’m looking forward to seeing all of those beautiful Nashville blooms in person in two weeks :)