I Never Get Tired of My Bike

Saturday began as a rainy mess. I ventured outside on foot for lunch and a chai latte, but scurried back inside to read all day. Suddenly, at 5 o’clock in the evening, sun began pouring through my living room window. This change in scenery demanded a sunset bike ride. As quickly as I could swap my lounging attire for a spring dress and grab my cameras, I was on Betty headed for the lakefront.

Two hours later, I was back on the couch for dinner and a Netflix movie, feeling much rejuvenated.

You’d think that after riding my bike to and from work every day, I might get tired of cycling. Yet I savor the weekends for the time it allows me to ride my bike. I can’t explain why, but I never get enough of my bike.

Anyone else constantly turn to your bike for amusement, even after a full week’s commute?

p.s. To the girl who rode by and said, “Let’s Go Ride a Bike!” – Hello! In the second before you called out, I was thinking, “What a pretty girl on her bike.” :)

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

30 thoughts on “I Never Get Tired of My Bike

1. Carolyn I. says:

I always have fun on my bike! It’s my main amusement. If I’m bored, I go for a ride..today was cold and hailstormy, but I still got out for a bit between storms.

I love your dress, and the flowers! Are the blue flowers Forget me Nots? Absolutely gorgeous! Want to see flowers here… Spring, you can’t come soon enough..

2. Kara says:

The weather in my parts has been so inconsistent that the days I have been able to commute have been a treat! What I need to go do is find good trails to just have fun on, like your lakefront trail. A place where you can just ride and not stress about cars.

BTW…LOVE the ribbon detail on your basket. A perfect spring accessory for Betty.

3. chelsea Fuss says:

these photos are amazing. and i love the bluebells(?)!!!! looks like a lovely evening.

4. Anne Hawley says:

FABULOUS photos! Brava!

I wake up on a Saturday morning and think, “What errands need running today? Who can I visit? What excuse can I use to get on my bike and go somewhere?”

That’s the joy of bike-riding.

5. Boston’s blue flowers send their regards to Chicago’s blue flowers! : ))

Far from getting tired of my bike(s), I am planning on implementing an extra daily riding routing in the early morning. I am so excited, because I raised the saddle 2 extra inches on my mixte the other day and the feeling is totally different – that alone will entertain me for days!

6. anna says:

I think my bike habits will change a lot when I move to a new apartment (it’s only a 5 minutes walk from the office). I might end up only doing recreational rides or go for shopping by bike, who knows…

You also got a Diana F+? Very cool!

• Dottie says:

That would be a big change without a work commute. You’ll have to go shopping a lot :)

I don’t have an F+, the camera in the picture is the Diana Mini.

7. Academichic says:

Really beautiful photo post! I miss riding a bike so much. S.

8. Patty says:

Hi Dottie!

Thanks for the compliment ;) I was thinking how cute are these two and how awesome is that vintage bike and then I recognized you as LGRAB!

You and this blog have definitely inspired me to do more on my bike. I successfully got through the winter riding to work at least one day a week. I’ve also tried to dress in normal clothes (vs gym clothes) when riding around. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

I ride the path to work and I have to admit it becomes routine. I like how you take the time to enjoy bike riding and the path just for the fun of it. I rode past the same things you saw in the same beautiful sunshine yesterday and didn’t take much notice. Time to stop and smell the daffodils.

Patty

• Dottie says:

That’s so wonderful to hear! We should get together sometime and ride :) I’d like to put together a fun spring ride soon, since I will be out of town on the weekend of the Tweed Ride.

9. Dave says:

After getting home from my 4.5 mile commute on Friday (which was extra long since I detoured to take photos of the cycle track), I dropped my bag off at home, and headed out meandering about the city and probably rode another 5 miles or even a little more, in sporadic rain and high winds, because I just felt like being out on a bike :)

I ran into some folks on their way home from work, and I think one of them thought I was a little bit crazy for being out for fun, as at the moment we were fighting winds so strong we could barely pedal in first gear :)

I got home feeling a little sweaty and red in the face, but refreshed and relaxed as well.

Happy Easter!

10. Nikki says:

Just discovered your blog and that I have the same bike as you do! My husband surprised me with it and I have been riding my bike 8 miles each way to work ever since. I take pride in wearing my favorite outfits still on my bike rides and I still love riding my bike to the beach with my hubby on the weekends!

11. E A says:

Feel the same way — missed riding yesterday — but just got back from a post-bday ride today! Awesome out there!
    Lots of bikes all around. :-) And the sun is shining, too!

12. Trisha says:

Testing nested reply function.

13. Trisha says:

And . . fail. :)

14. During “rest” days on major stage races, everyone cycles, only they use smaller gears. No rest days this Easter: we have races every day! Then after the race, I will take one of my town bikes out and just cruise around with my kids. Cooler weather (in Australia) means we can all dress a little more flash

15. Sungsu says:

Is it just me or are the comments all caps for everyone? It is generally difficult to read all caps in a sans-serif font.

• Trisha says:

Hi Sungsu! I was testing some changes to the comment form, which meant a few technical difficulties. :) Should be back to normal for the most part now…

16. meligrosa says:

im loving the more detailed-cutsey photos. they are very happy visuals.
    and yes!!! who can get tired of such beautiful machines that take us around <3
    xo.m

17. Mickey Zoom says:

I love getting out on my bike! I find there’s nothing like it to relax and energise me. I try and ride to work when I can, but in rainy Britain that’s one a week if I’m lucky. Last week the mornings were lovely and the afternoons stormy, so a couple of days I ended up soaked but smiling on the way home.

Your blog has inspired me to get out on the bike for the sheer joy of it. I had a cheap mountain bike for years, and although I used to enjoy it, riding her became a struggle. I was overjoyed to discover the chic cycle movement and have bought a vintage (style) Raleigh, complete with rounder bars, wicker basket, leather panniers, ding dong bell…and a fabulous new wardrobe of thick tights and feminine dresses.

It’s so amazing to be a lady AND a cyclist.

Thank you!!!

• Dottie says:

Hearing that we have inspired you is – inspiring! What a lovely story. I can totally imagine you, lady cyclist and your vintage steed. Awesome.

18. David says:

I ride 12mi each way. If I go everyday that’s 120 miles for the week. So, sometimes I need a break on the weekend. But I try to take breaks on the weekdays so I can ride with the family.

19. Laurie H says:

WOW loving your new pictures!!!! I’m going to share!

20. Max says:

aka Happiness

pardon the the thought in progress:

When we open ourselves to cycling, and particularly when we use it instead of the car for the everyday (utility), I believe a interesting change occurs to our sense of time. This change enables us the luxury to give time for joy.

We want to enjoy the ride. Or perhaps it just happens whether we want it to or not.

“time is money”, but joy is priceless. And no, I ain’t talking bout dish soap.

BTW, I think your blog, the photos, and the overall attitude you show really captures the essence of “the joy” very consistently. Thanks.

Cheers,

Max

21. Max says:

Yeah, I hope that doesn’t read too “new agey”. I am not one who speaks the words “joy” and “happiness” with terrible frequency. Biking is just too amazing to not share the thought.

Max

22. BikeWorkPlay says:

Oh you look stunning in that dress.. and I love how your Diana Mini looks like a necklace and not a camera! How cute.

23. [...] like Dottie, I find that cycling outside the commute is just as fun if even more enjoyable as there are no [...]

24. Hello,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at letsgorideabike.com.

May I use some of the information from this post right above if I provide a link back to your website?

Thanks,