Warms My Heart

Happy April First!

Chicago’s temperature climbed to a high of 83 degrees today! While cycling the Lakefront Trail for my morning commute, I was compelled to pull over, awestruck by the gentle sunrise. Work could wait ten minutes.

I spent my lunch hour on a park bench reading War and Peace and eating the most fabulous cupcake. (Now that I’ve discovered the cupcake boutique More not far from my office, my addiction can only get worse.)

All of this beauty really warms my heart. What a wonderful place this world can be.

Tagged , , , , , , , , ,

17 thoughts on “Warms My Heart

1. John says:

Hey Dottie – What size is the basket on your Rivendell? I’m going to get a front basket and am having a tough time choosing between sizes.

2. Amy says:

Oh that cupcake looks SO good right now! I just got home from my ride and really want sugar. :)

3. Emma J says:

Butterfly cupcake and War & Peace – what an adorable combination!

4. cycler says:

Have you seen The Last Station?
    I’ve been wanting to see it, as Helen Mirren is one of my favorite actresses. I’ve heard good things about a new-ish translation of War and Peace- is that the one you’re reading? How is it?
    I always am somewhat disappointed by fancy cupcakes- all the ones I’ve had seem a bit dull and dry. Maybe I should do more research…:)

5. Dottie says:

@cycler – I haven’t seen Last Station yet. It’s in my Netflix queue but is not yet out on DVD. The translation I’m reading is the new one – Pevear and Volokhonsky. Their translations are incredible; I’ve also read their translations of Demons and The Adolescent. The fancy cupcake at More was so moist and fresh and perfect! The poor little hand-painted chocolate butterfly wings melted by the time I finished photographing the cupcake in direct sunlight, though.

@John – I got the medium Wald basket from Rivendell here, 9.75″ x 14.75″ x 4.5″.

6. David says:

You gotta love cupcake boutiques. And the first 80 degree day of the year.

War And Peace, what’s that about?

7. darren says:

i’m glad you made work wait for 10 mins…. the pictures are lovely!

8. It was finally warm in Boston today as well – but not 83 degrees! Enjoy the sunshine!

9. Aha, proof, that there is only so much warmth in the world, despite all the talk. Here in Australia we had an especially cold day. In the morning I had to put on a coat.
    I also maintain there is only so much happiness too, and that most of it comes to us cyclists.

10. Elisa M says:

I feel the same way. Everything seems better when trees are in bloom and the world is awake again after a long winter!

11. sara says:

I love the photo of the people riding the tandem. Ohhh, and, of course– the book and the cupcake! My husband loved that couple’s translation of Anna Karenina. A summer goal of mine= War & Peace.

12. I love the photo with the people on the tandem in the background. Umm…also the cupcake. I want one.

13. Academichic says:

Wow, that cupcake is possibly the most beautiful cupcake I’ve ever seen.

Dottie, how are you enjoying War and Peace? I really liked Anna Karenina but I’ve been for, for some reason, hesitant to start anything else by Tolstoy, Any book review thoughts?

Once more, lovely lovely photo post, such a treat! S

14. Superbk says:

Hi Dottie and friends, I think everyone is especially happy it’s spring in DC (after our brutal-for-us winter!). In follow-up to my comment last week about bad DC drivers and invisibility, on my commute home tonight I encountered an amazing driver! I failed to secure some work folders properly to my bike rack, and as I was riding over one of the District’s *gracefully* patched potholes, they flew off the rack into the middle of the road. The driver behind me not only stopped his car, he put on his blinkers and waited for me to park my bike and come get them, effectively protecting me and my precious work documents from being run over! Thank you mysterious gallant DC driver, whomever you are! And thank you Spring, for bringing your brightness and generosity of spirit to everyone right now. Cheers!

15. Dottie says:

War & Peace is my new favorite book!

16. Dottie says:

Yes, and this new version is by the best translators. I have seen The Last Station and it’s very good.