Sometimes you need a hill

photo of a hill courtesy of pinkmoose @flickr--I was riding too fast today to take one!

I know I complain sometimes about the hills on my commute, but every once in a while I look forward to tackling them. One of the little-discussed benefits of bicycle commuting is using your ride home as a stress release. Trust, it’s better than blasting Pearl Jam in your car (what can I say, music I listened to in high school is still the best when feeling angsty).

Now, back to our regular scheduled, positive programming. And my glass of Jameson — happy St. Patrick’s Day!

Tagged ,

9 thoughts on “Sometimes you need a hill

1. Hayley says:

i totally agree that the post-work stress-relief is one of the great unsung benefits of commuting by bike! there are days where i’d swear it’s the only thing that keeps me going at work. if i have to drive on a given day, then i find myself grumpier all day because i know i can’t ride home!

2. Dottie says:

No hills ’round my parts, but I’ve been using my bike commute for stress relief by going fast on Betty Foy. Fast, of course, is relative. If I take the L train (which I haven’t in a couple of months) I get grouchy.

3. darren says:

yes i have two killer hills to tackle en-route to work… i call them killer hill one and killer hill two! very original eh? haha.

anywez, used to make my thighs seem like they were gonna pop or something but these days they seem rather blah… but its does feel good going down the other side of these hills though… weeeeeee

4. Sometimes I love a hill too – just to get the heart racing and the legs stretched out. Then the ride down the other side is such a joyous reward!

I also love the alternative rock of the 90′s when I’m feeling angsty! It’s so familiar, I can really get into it.

5. Ben says:

Hills? Ok. I see the attraction. They can be surrogates for those you loathe.

But Jameson? Now you have my attention.

6. Kara says:

Sigh. I dread my hill on my commute home. Thanks for the reminder that I need to change my perspective. Make them a challenge I can conquer!

7. Cherilyn says:

I need to fly for my stress relief–go at my own speed and get those muscles going as fast as they can. On the other hand, I can relate to the joy of busting up a hill and getting to the top. I’m usually pulling 60 pounds of Trail-a-Bike and 6-year-old though, so hills are more of a drain in my mind.

8. Amy says:

All I’ve got are hills! So I guess I have to love them if I want to ride anywhere. :) It is a great feeling to push yourself up a hill and then get to fly down the other side.

9. meligrosa says:

i think i would panic if there were no hills to bitch about … LOL
    much love xo.m